6/12/14 - WGR Staff Interviews Tim Murray

26CornerBlitz

We've done the math.....

Pegula is batsh!t crazy and likes to pet the bunny.

Anyone willing to give me even money on Battista being on stage at the draft for the Sabres' first pick?

And now Flopsy is dead and never called me "mother."

Is the bet that Battista announces the pick on behalf of the Sabres, or is just in the vicinity?

I'd say you're putting a stank and a spin on what GM TM said to suit your narrative.

We need a transcript of that interview.

My recollection of what GM TM said was that several other GMs impressed on him the importance of maintaining a free and open line of communication with the owner. Not a free and open line of communication with that P.I.A. meddlesome nincompoop Pegula (as you believe all other GMs know him to be (seriously)), but with owners in general.

He said it in response to a vague question at the Lafontaine scrambled CYA press conference. There was no direct question, it was the 1st thing on his mind, and given the circumstances, those of us with microscopic brains could understand what he was doing.

We've done the math.....

Pegula is batsh!t crazy and likes to pet the bunny.

Anyone willing to give me even money on Battista being on stage at the draft for the Sabres' first pick?

2 + 2 = pineapples :rolleyes:

Murray said, and I paraphrase: "Every GM I talked to stressed the need for direct conversations with the owner"

That equals "pet the bunny" :lol:

Seems pretty plain to me that Murray was talking about just that. Direct (rather than indirect) conversations with ownership.

The choreography is always intriguing. I heard that Ted Black is going to blow a tranquilizer dart into Lloyd Bentsen's neck from stage right, then rush in during the commotion and stand next to Terry for the money shot.

I was at the draft party last year and wouldn't have seen it unless you pointed it out. That was classic.

And now Flopsy is dead and never called me "mother."

Is the bet that Battista announces the pick on behalf of the Sabres, or is just in the vicinity?

No....that the Employee of East Resources is on the stage when the Sabres' first pick is selected. 3-1 on a tweeted picture with his arm around the pick within 96 hours.....

They could keep him out of the trade deadline picture in the war-room, but you can't keep JoBa from getting his dewhook into Bennett on that stage.....

Here's what was said. ~5:15 mark.

There was a question (Benigni?) re: [inaudible] someone's (Murray's presumably) comfort level with the team's management structure.

Answer: I'm comfortable with it. I was hired to come in here and be the GM. You know ultimately you have to answer to the owner. Every single GM in this business does. I got a lot of advice with the congratulations from other GMs. And that to me was the biggest piece of advice, is that you have to communicate things with your owner, and you can't do things without letting him know. And he pays the bills and owns the team. I'm comfortable. ... etc.

Here's what was said. ~5:15 mark. There was a question (Benigni?) re: [inaudible] someone's (Murray's presumably) comfort level with the team's management structure. Answer: I'm comfortable with it. I was hired to come in here and be the GM. You know ultimately you have to answer to the owner. Every single GM in this business does. I got a lot of advice with the congratulations from other GMs. And that to me was the biggest piece of advice, is that you have to communicate things with your owner, and you can't do things without letting him know. And he pays the bills and owns the team. I'm comfortable. ... etc.
Standard. Corporate. Hierarchy.

:beer:

+++

"Every single GM in this business does" = a universal truth.

There's no reasonable way to listen to that answer and infer that the GMs were warning GM TM about his owner. They were relating to him the wisdom they'd gleaned in dealing with their owners.

Who said it had to be reasonable?

You must be a racist.

+++

There's no reasonable way to listen to that answer and infer that the GMs were warning GM TM about his owner. They were relating to him the wisdom they'd gleaned in dealing with their owners.

I'l give you this, you guys have some vivid imaginations.

+++

No...the point is...it was a vague question that he could have gone in 20 directions with, but that was the direction he went in. Not only that, especially early on, Murray was the master of grumpy one word answers. I would have expected, "It's fine". It was an obvious tell to me that something bad went down with Patty, but Murray knew going in that he was ultimately at the pleasure of Pegula, and even though Patty fell on the sword, Murray was going to tough it out.

I think the logical inference from the presser comments is that Patty wasn't communicating with the owner.

And if judge Aud will allow me to enter this into the record:

It goes without saying that Murray knew the ownership in Ottawa and it's almost certain he did his homework on the ownership in Buffalo. Considering Tim was the heir apparent in Ottawa, it's pretty clear Pegula's rep was better than the devil Tim knew.

I think the logical inference from the presser comments is that Patty wasn't communicating with the owner.

And if judge Aud will allow me to enter this into the record:

It goes without saying that Murray knew the ownership in Ottawa and it's almost certain he did his homework on the ownership in Buffalo. Considering Tim was the heir apparent in Ottawa, it's pretty clear Pegula's rep was better than the devil Tim knew.

Sort of like Pegula was trying to get Tom Bradley the head coaching job at Rutgers even though he was the heir apparent at Penn State for an octogenarian coach with cancer?

I'll duck now.......

No...the point is...it was a vague question that he could have gone in 20 directions with, but that was the direction he went in. Not only that, especially early on, Murray was the master of grumpy one word answers. I would have expected, "It's fine". It was an obvious tell to me that something bad went down with Patty, but Murray knew going in that he was ultimately at the pleasure of Pegula, and even though Patty fell on the sword, Murray was going to tough it out.

Or he just knew what the question asker was actually asking?

Occam's razor

Who said it had to be reasonable?

You must be a racist.

No diggety.

That might be your point, but it's not the one I was addressing (knee-capping).

As to your point: Asking a GM whether he's comfortable with the management structure of the team is open-ended, but it ain't vague -- certainly not in that setting when the President of Hockey Operations has resigned (not re-signed). One of the most relevant elements of a company's management structure is the issue of a direct-report. That's where TM went, and his answer was responsive to the question: He knew that to be a successful GM, you must communicate directly with your owner.

If PLF didn't like that (and I think you're right that TM's answer may suggest that PLF did not); if PLF thought he was going to be the owner's surrogate, well, then, see ya, PLF. Take your bunched underwear and cyclothymic moods with you.

http://youtu.be/pWyJfdob0a4

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.