6/12/14 - WGR Staff Interviews Tim Murray

26CornerBlitz

Sabres' Murray talks buyouts, the draft, analytics and more

Had the opportunity to spend some time with Sabres GM Tim Murray and many topics were covered so let’s get to it.

Murray said there’s a strong possibility that they’ll use the compliance buyout on Ville Leino. Murray says they must still cross the t’s and dot the i’s and have one more conversation withy the owner about it. The buyout period starts either June 15th or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Finals end and runs through June 30th.

Murray maintained that it’s going to take two drafts to build this team. He admitted they are not a Stanley Cup team this year so the draft has to be the focus.

It is a lot of cash to payout to get rid of Leino. Maybe it would be better to keep him as the Tank Commander for another year. It's hard to find players that are guaranteed to not score.

This option has been presented an denied potential 1.7 million times. This offseason is the compliance buyout deadline. If you keep him for an extra season just because you want to suck then you're going to be paying for it well into the time where you'd like to actually try and contend.

Players must have qualifying offers by June 30th. After talking to Murray there’s no question in my mind that Tyler Ennis, Marcus Foligno, Chad Ruhwedel, Cory Conacher, Luke Adam and Matt Hackett will get qualifying offers.

Uh...what? Adam? God, no. But I guess it's all about maximizing assets for him. I just don't get how Adam + offer = maximizing assets.

Of all the goalies in the Sabres system it seems to me that Murray likes the future of Nathan Lieuwen the best.
Absolutely. And you guys had a field day with me when I said the kid has potential.

Here’s how it works, according to Murray: His scouting rankings rate players on a 1-7 scale, with seven being elite and one being the poorest rating. The reason it’s 1-7 is because of the number of standard deviations: Four being an average player, five above average, six a star, seven elite and the same for 1-3.

We can use this scale to rank posters here...

Uh...what? Adam? God, no. But I guess it's all about maximizing assets for him. I just don't get how Adam + offer = maximizing assets.

Absolutely. And you guys had a field day with me when I said the kid has potential.

We can use this scale to rank posters here...

No harm in qualifying Luke Adam. He provides depth for camp, and was Rochester's best goalscorer. It's not likely he has any trouble clearing waivers.

Surprised it took you this long. You're either slipping in your old age, or tried watching the World Cup and fell asleep.

Ha! I might be the only one, but I still think it's an important question. If the owner has hired good people, what in the world can he possibly contribute IN MULTIPLE MEETINGS on the topic of whether Leino should be bought out?

Ha! I might be the only one, but I still think it's an important question. If the owner has hired good people, what in the world can he possibly contribute IN MULTIPLE MEETINGS on the topic of whether Leino should be bought out?

You are trying to convince him to throw away $18 million and admit his first big move was a huge mistake.

You are trying to convince him to throw away $18 million and admit his first big move was a huge mistake.

"What is this, Tim? I don't need another piece of computer paper. I'm rich as ######."

"Actually, Terry, that's not a blank piece of computer paper. I printed out a visual representation of how many goals Ville Leino scored this season."

"Man, I ###### up, didn't I Timmy?"

"Yea boss, ya did."

"What is this, Tim? I don't need another piece of computer paper. I'm rich as ######."

"Actually, Terry, that's not a blank piece of computer paper. I printed out a visual representation of how many goals Ville Leino scored this season."

"Yea boss, ya did."

hahahahahahh. If this wasn't so long I'd take this as my signature

Yeah, I did a spit take when I read that. Maybe he'll just be a forever AHLer helping to get the kids ready to move up?

"Yea boss, ya did."

Hahaha. Well done

One MORE conversation with Terry about buying out Leino? One MORE?! There shouldn't have been one, let alone two — or more.

I rest my case.

If I'm Murray, I print this out - http://sabres.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474551 frame it, and hang it on Pegula's wall for his continued reference. No need for further discussion, at least not with anyone with an IQ of 90 or more.

Please name another owner in the NHL whom you think would NOT be consulted by his GM on a buyout costing this much.

Please name another owner in the NHL whom you think would NOT be consulted by his GM on a buyout costing this much.

But how many times does it need to be communicated? It seems to me it makes more sense to use the buyout than pay him for doing nothing except setting a bad laughable example for the up and coming players.

I wonder if it could cause internal strife if GMTM strongly advocates dumping this dead wood, and Battista/Pegula override him?

Edited by Jsixspd

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.