2014 Stanley Cup Finals - NY Rangers vs. LA Kings

X. Benedict

Since Richards has been on the Rangers, they have been to a conference final, the second round, and now a SCF. Not really sure that is hype. Some day, Sabres fans will be excited about actually playing in June as opposed to the thrill of a draft pick playing in June possibly maybe in like 4 to 6 years.

Sabres last game in June was 6/1/2006.

Edited by Claude_Verret

Since Richards has been on the Rangers, they have been to a conference final, the second round, and now a SCF. Not really sure that is hype. Some day, Sabres fans will be excited about actually playing in June as opposed to the thrill of a draft pick playing in June possibly maybe in like 4 to 6 years.

Most of that was accomplished despite Nash and Richards.

Marty St. Louis has been a difference maker for the Rangers during the playoffs. But, he is 38 and they gave up an awful lot to get him (Tampa got their 1st round pick this year as part of that trade). Richards and Nash should certainly be contributing more than they are. I personally think Nash is a far bigger disappointment than Richards. Nash is 9th on his team in playoff scoring and only has 3 goals in 23 games. He is clearly being outperformed by "lesser" guys like Zuccarello, Hagelin, Stepan and Brassard. Right or wrong, if you're going to sign the big money contract you're going to be heavily scrutinized when you don't perform in key moments. I really think the Rangers need to try to move Nash in the off-season.

It is a bit clunky. I think all it's meant to show is how Quick would be the bookends ('12 and '14).

It's not useless and it is not meant to be taken as a slope. Much like a Pareto chart, it's specifically put in decreasing order of y from highest to lowest, so that you can clearly see who/what falls at the ends and their levels relative to the rest of the data points. In this case, it shows Quick at the "book ends" and illustrates how unusual high his first run was and low this one seems to be.

I see that now. I didn't notice Quick was the bookend until you guys mentioned it.

I should find the Hockey Names thread and post this there, but I'm going to forge ahead here. in his post-game remarks, Richards remarked that "Cartsy's goal was the big one." That one's not as odd as the 'Fuhr-zee' I once heard, but it's solid.

Maybe I give too much obeisance to The Cup's mythology, but I'm of a mind that, if you're there, you belong. And I will admit: My watching's been spotty. Even so, a pair of thrilling road OT games to start, and the Rangers don't belong? They've never look overwhelmed or outclassed to me. It's more like they've become unlucky at the wrong time, and at times even snakebitten, against what is this year's best NHL team. There's no shame in that.

What I mean is that they faced two backup goaltenders and had more luck on the way there than anyone would have thought possible.This would be a better series with Montreal or Boston in it.

What I mean is that they faced two backup goaltenders and had more luck on the way there than anyone would have thought possible.This would be a better series with Montreal or Boston in it.

Fair enough. But that's the way of the SC Playoffs, though, innit***?

On the flip side of the role that luck/fortune can play in the quest for The Cup, we can consider the 05/06 Sabres as a case study. :wallbash:

***used with permission of nfreeman.

On the flip side of the role that luck/fortune can play in the quest for The Cup, we can consider the 05/06 Sabres as a case study. :wallbash:

We sure can.

when I hear sabres and cup in the same sentence, all I can think about is...... Folignos jock

Let's go kings!!

How about Mike Richards?

He's being paid a lot for being a 4th liner.

Does he hit the market this summer, and are we interested?

My guess is he is bought out. Not sure we have too much interest in him under the only pursuing players who want to be here idea.

Or maybe that it shows how they don't need him as much this year as they did two years ago.

Might also have something to do with facing the top two teams in scoring rather than the 18th and 21st.

How about Mike Richards?

Who would have thought Carter was more likely to survive/would do better in LA than Richards? Weird.

How about Mike Richards?

Having a Mike Richards on the 4th is a great example of depth.

Do Flyer fans look at losing Richards & Carter the same way the Sabre fans look at losing Drury & Briere? Richards & Carter are about to win their second ring in three seasons since leaving the Flyers. IMO, it must feel much worse.

Elite. Discuss.

He can't be elite -in the Olympic Medal game against Finland, he had a GAA of 5.0, and only stopped 24 of 29 shots for a terrible SVG% of .823. That's AHL caliber right there, and very poor play.

Oh wait, we're not discussing Ryan Miller....so let me pull off my side blinders and look at the preceding 4 Olympic games for a deeper perspective.

In the previous 4 Olympic games, he had a GAA of 1.5, and had 108 saves out of 114 shots faced, for a SVG% of .947% Those are fantastic stats.

And in the game against Canada that cost us a shot at gold, his GAA was 1.0, 36 saves out of 37 shots for a SVG% of .973. That's a tremendous game

And I think a reasonable argument could be made that the US team were not interested in the Bronze after being eliminated, hence the lackluster effort by the entire team in the Bronze medal game. So that game shouldn't even be counted in any discussion about the worthiness of any single player on the US team.

So for Quick, I'll argue Elite. ;)

Edited by Jsixspd

How about Mike Richards?

He's not a 4th liner by any means other than circumstance. He's struggling and the Kings have the depth to move other guys up (Toffoli). Fourth liners don't score 40+ points. He's signed through 2020. He may be had in a deal but he's still talented.

He can't be elite -in the Olympic Medal game against Finland, he had a GAA of 5.0, and only stopped 24 of 29 shots for a terrible SVG% of .823. That's AHL caliber right there, and very poor play.

Oh wait, we're not discussing Ryan Miller....so let me pull off my side blinders and look at the preceding 4 Olympic games for a deeper perspective.

In the previous 4 Olympic games, he had a GAA of 1.5, and had 108 saves out of 114 shots faced, for a SVG% of .947% Those are fantastic stats.

And in the game against Canada that cost us a shot at gold, his GAA was 1.0, 36 saves out of 37 shots for a SVG% of .973. That's a tremendous game

And I think a reasonable argument could be made that the US team were not interested in the Bronze after being eliminated, hence the lackluster effort by the entire team in the Bronze medal game. So that game shouldn't even be counted in any discussion about the worthiness of any single player on the US team.

...Based on five games?

Guest Sloth

What? A debate is actually going on about whether or not Quick is an elite goalie? In my opinion, he's the top goaltender in the world right now. Quick is just too quick. Lundqvist has given up 13 goals in 3 games. Talk about not raising play for the Stanley Cup Final. The guy gave up 3 goals on 15 shots the other night. And surprise, surprise, Quick delivered a shutout. Everyone knew what was at stake in game 3. New York needed the win more than LA. Quick stepped up. Lundvist laid an egg.

Edited by thanes16

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.