2014 Stanley Cup Finals - NY Rangers vs. LA Kings

X. Benedict

Is there any reason not to believe that the Kings and Blackhawks may be trading the Cup back and forth for the next few seasons?

Congrats to the Kings! 2 Cups in three years is no fluke. They will win a couple more with this group, IMO.

Also, a really nice job by the Rangers and even the Habs. It was nice to see two of the big four (Pittsburg, Boston, LA and Chicago) knocked down a peg.

Is there any reason not to believe that the Kings and Blackhawks may be trading the Cup back and forth for the next few seasons?

The Kings/Blackhawks series WAS the Stanley Cup Final - this was just the anti-climax. I think it's a safe bet to assume both teams will go deep into the playoffs again next season,

Also: Steve Ott@otterN9NE 14h

What a piece of jealousy I have watching this game.

haha, I love Otter! I understand the feeling - I get wistful thinking of the Sabres winning double-overtime playoff games. IF the Sabres rebuild is done as efficiently and effectively as Chicago's, that should be the 2016-17 season.

I fell asleep during overtime and woke up with the Kings holding the cup which was not a surprise given the way this game was reffed.. I wouldn't have felt bad about the win, but the Refs blew two calls that directly led to Kings goals. Both calls should have gone against the Kings not the Rangers.

Bettman should be ashamed of himself for having that bad a team of refs out there. They also blew numerous offsides calls I counted three that they called on the Rangers that I don't think were and three on the Kings that were definitely offsides. Not sure if it was the same Ref or that group as a whole, but that was pathetic.

I am not a Ranger fan and thought generally the Kings were the better team but really just wanted a good series. That was a sad pathetic excuse of a game for the refs. A sad day for the NHL indeed.

Congrats to the Kings! 2 Cups in three years is no fluke. They will win a couple more with this group, IMO.

one and only reason you won't see them trading cups back and forth the next few season. Salary Cap. Kings are about to lose the best 4th liner in the NHL (Richardson) due to his contract. they got some younger guys that I think are due for some healthy pay raises. The kings are gonna lose the very thing that got them this cup, forward depth. Same goes for the Bhawks. success begets higher contracts and both teams are set to start paying players for the success they helped bring about.

I fell asleep during overtime and woke up with the Kings holding the cup which was not a surprise given the way this game was reffed.. I wouldn't have felt bad about the win, but the Refs blew two calls that directly led to Kings goals. Both calls should have gone against the Kings not the Rangers.

Bettman should be ashamed of himself for having that bad a team of refs out there. They also blew numerous offsides calls I counted three that they called on the Rangers that I don't think were and three on the Kings that were definitely offsides. Not sure if it was the same Ref or that group as a whole, but that was pathetic.

I am not a Ranger fan and thought generally the Kings were the better team but really just wanted a good series. That was a sad pathetic excuse of a game for the refs. A sad day for the NHL indeed.

Wow dude. Get over it. The Kings were worthy winners. The better team won. Just sayin

If you want to hear a fantastic radio call of the winning goal, check out the Kings radio guy. Sorry, too lazy to even look up his name or provide a link. But he nailed it. He has sort of a detached, almost deadpan style. He did it up right. He was concise, he got the phrasing right — saying in different ways that the Kings had won the Stanley Cup, then the 2014 Kings had won it, so the call could be differentiated in the future from two yeas ago.

OK, here it is.

And his name is Nick Nickson, and he's been the radio guy in LA forever. No simulcast there. It just doesn't work.

If you want to hear a fantastic radio call of the winning goal, check out the Kings radio guy. Sorry, too lazy to even look up his name or provide a link. But he nailed it. He has sort of a detached, almost deadpan style. He did it up right. He was concise, he got the phrasing right — saying in different ways that the Kings had won the Stanley Cup, then the 2014 Kings had won it, so the call could be differentiated in the future from two yeas ago.

OK, here it is.

And his name is Nick Nickson, and he's been the radio guy in LA forever. No simulcast there. It just doesn't work.

Any thoughts on Lundqvist blowing 3 leads in the finals? You've had plenty to say about Miller doing so in the ECF vs Carolina.

one and only reason you won't see them trading cups back and forth the next few season. Salary Cap. Kings are about to lose the best 4th liner in the NHL (Richardson) due to his contract. they got some younger guys that I think are due for some healthy pay raises. The kings are gonna lose the very thing that got them this cup, forward depth. Same goes for the Bhawks. success begets higher contracts and both teams are set to start paying players for the success they helped bring about.

Why are the Kings going to lose Richards? They have less than a handful of players hitting free agency this year (1 RFA, 3 UFA) and $13 mil to fill needs. They can dump Regehr if they need some additional space. 2015-16 is when they have some RFA's to pay, they will have $29 mil of cap space going into the following season.

The Blackhawks are in a different situation, not an impossible one. I don't either team being in a position to be knocked out of contender status due to the cap.

It'll be the Rangers who lose a group of players and not the Kings.

Brian Boyle may get a pretty big deal and an expanded role elsewhere. Anton Stralman will get a big deal. They'll buyout Brad Richards. Those guys will all be big losses in their own way.

It'll be the Rangers who lose a group of players and not the Kings.

Brian Boyle may get a pretty big deal and an expanded role elsewhere. Anton Stralman will get a big deal. They'll buyout Brad Richards. Those guys will all be big losses in their own way.

I would have no problem with the Sabres overpaying to land Boyle and/or Pouliot. These are the type of players you want your younger players being around. Landing those two and bringing Steve Ott back and suddenly the playoffs in 2014-15 doesn't seem that far fetched.

Guest Sloth

I would have no problem with the Sabres overpaying to land Boyle and/or Pouliot. These are the type of players you want your younger players being around. Landing those two and bringing Steve Ott back and suddenly the playoffs in 2014-15 doesn't seem that far fetched.

Having quality, veteran players around to groom the younger players is a need the Sabres have to address. It'd be great if Moulson came back to Buffalo. He's the type of player that needs to be brought in. I do not want Buffalo to be any where near playoff contention. It'd make this season a partial waste. The Sabres will pick up key players in this year's draft, but come on. McDavid is what Buffalo wants. If the Sabres finish last and lose the lottery, they'll still be able to draft Eichel. Talk about a great consolation prize.

The Sabres could add all three of those players, plus Moulson, and still not sniff a playoff spot.

As an aside, any hockey withdrawals yet? Saturday night I was thinking - "Hey, I should watch playoff hockey tonig...... DAYUM!!!". Gonna be a long drought, but, at least there's Yankees baseball to watch now 'til hockey returns. :)

As an aside, any hockey withdrawals yet? Saturday night I was thinking - "Hey, I should watch playoff hockey tonig...... DAYUM!!!". Gonna be a long drought

I had the schedule for the playoffs in my iphone. I looked at Monday and saw that there was a game and was like "wait, what?" Pretty sad moment.

Why are the Kings going to lose Richards? They have less than a handful of players hitting free agency this year (1 RFA, 3 UFA) and $13 mil to fill needs. They can dump Regehr if they need some additional space. 2015-16 is when they have some RFA's to pay, they will have $29 mil of cap space going into the following season.

The Blackhawks are in a different situation, not an impossible one. I don't either team being in a position to be knocked out of contender status due to the cap.

because you don't pay a player a cap hit of 5.75 million to play on the 4th line. Also didn't he have a semi front loaded contract? what is his recapture like the next few years?

Wow dude. Get over it. The Kings were worthy winners. The better team won. Just sayin

I agree the better team won, that being said the better team did not win game 5. Really, the refs screwed up and if there is one thing I can't stand it is bad officiating. Drives me up a wall, so I am not getting over it. In today's day and age, even the NBA finals from the little I have caught has had bad officiating. Not sure the problem, the game too fast, not paying guys enough to attract good talent??? Not sure, but the officiating in the whole playoffs have been rough.... plainly it has sucked. Probably at this point a separate thread, but I am not sure I think it is worth the analysis.

Bad reffing sucks, nothing more complicated than that, and in these playoffs they did.

Edited by Icehole

I agree the better team won, that being said the better team did not win game 5. Really, the refs screwed up and if there is one thing I can't stand it is bad officiating. Drives me up a wall, so I am not getting over it. In today's day and age, even the NBA finals from the little I have caught has had bad officiating. Not sure the problem, the game too fast, not paying guys enough to attract good talent??? Not sure, but the officiating in the whole playoffs have been rough.... plainly it has sucked. Probably at this point a separate thread, but I am not sure I think it is worth the analysis.

Bad reffing sucks, nothing more complicated than that, and in these playoffs they did.

I agree. Bad officiating sucks. It went both ways for every team in the playoffs. Its unfortunate you feel the refs handed game 5 to the Kings. I didn't see it that way.

The reffing sucked, but if you think the Rangers were the better team in game 5, we were watching different games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.