2014 Stanley Cup Finals - NY Rangers vs. LA Kings

X. Benedict

Having a Mike Richards on the 4th is a great example of depth.

Do Flyer fans look at losing Richards & Carter the same way the Sabre fans look at losing Drury & Briere? Richards & Carter are about to win their second ring in three seasons since leaving the Flyers. IMO, it must feel much worse.

They should & serves them right.

Having a Mike Richards on the 4th is a great example of depth.

Do Flyer fans look at losing Richards & Carter the same way the Sabre fans look at losing Drury & Briere? Richards & Carter are about to win their second ring in three seasons since leaving the Flyers. IMO, it must feel much worse.

What was it ?- Carter for Voracek and Couterier

Richards for Simmonds and B Schenn.

while those trades don't look too bad on paper, center depth is what wins in this league.

He can't be elite -in the Olympic Medal game against Finland, he had a GAA of 5.0, and only stopped 24 of 29 shots for a terrible SVG% of .823. That's AHL caliber right there, and very poor play.

Oh wait, we're not discussing Ryan Miller....so let me pull off my side blinders and look at the preceding 4 Olympic games for a deeper perspective.

In the previous 4 Olympic games, he had a GAA of 1.5, and had 108 saves out of 114 shots faced, for a SVG% of .947% Those are fantastic stats.

And in the game against Canada that cost us a shot at gold, his GAA was 1.0, 36 saves out of 37 shots for a SVG% of .973. That's a tremendous game

And I think a reasonable argument could be made that the US team were not interested in the Bronze after being eliminated, hence the lackluster effort by the entire team in the Bronze medal game. So that game shouldn't even be counted in any discussion about the worthiness of any single player on the US team.

So for Quick, I'll argue Elite. ;)

What? A debate is actually going on about whether or not Quick is an elite goalie? In my opinion, he's the top goaltender in the world right now. Quick is just too quick. Lundqvist has given up 13 goals in 3 games. Talk about not raising play for the Stanley Cup Final. The guy gave up 3 goals on 15 shots the other night. And surprise, surprise, Quick delivered a shutout. Everyone knew what was at stake in game 3. New York needed the win more than LA. Quick stepped up. Lundvist laid an egg.

And the crimes against statistics continue.

1) Using a handful of games to evaluate a goaltender is just wrong.

2) GAA is a crappy stat.

3) Did you both miss the graph earlier on this page? Quick may end up with the lowest save percentage of a Cup-winning goaltender since 1990! The Kings are the highest scoring team in the playoffs and have gotten to where they are in spite of Quick's performance. The Rangers, on the other hand, don't sniff the Finals without Lundqvist's play.

What was it ?- Carter for Voracek and Couterier

Richards for Simmonds and B Schenn.

while those trades don't look too bad on paper, center depth is what wins in this league.

The forwards aren't why the Flyers can't get beyond round 2--it's the defense and goaltending. When the Flyers made the Cup with Richards and Carter, they had the elite combo of Leighton/Boucher playing well enough to get there...that obviously wasn't going to continue whether they kept Richards and Carter or not.

And the crimes against statistics continue.

1) Using a handful of games to evaluate a goaltender is just wrong.

2) GAA is a crappy stat.

3) Did you both miss the graph earlier on this page? Quick may end up with the lowest save percentage of a Cup-winning goaltender since 1990! The Kings are the highest scoring team in the playoffs and have gotten to where they are in spite of Quick's performance. The Rangers, on the other hand, don't sniff the Finals without Lundqvist's play.

The forwards aren't why the Flyers can't get beyond round 2--it's the defense and goaltending. When the Flyers made the Cup with Richards and Carter, they had the elite combo of Leighton/Boucher playing well enough to get there...that obviously wasn't going to continue whether they kept Richards and Carter or not.

and there's that. Lol

What? A debate is actually going on about whether or not Quick is an elite goalie? In my opinion, he's the top goaltender in the world right now. Quick is just too quick. Lundqvist has given up 13 goals in 3 games. Talk about not raising play for the Stanley Cup Final. The guy gave up 3 goals on 15 shots the other night. And surprise, surprise, Quick delivered a shutout. Everyone knew what was at stake in game 3. New York needed the win more than LA. Quick stepped up. Lundvist laid an egg.

This is the Ryan Miller argument. The Rangers aren't that good. Of course Lundqvist is going to have a bad time. He's not God.

Kopitar?

I'd honestly forgotten all about him, looked up his stats for these playoffs and was really surprised to see him leading all players in points. But he only has 2 assists in the Finals, even with his great defensive play I don't think that production in the Finals warrants a Con Smyth. I'll take Doughty winning it. I've never seen a d-man play as well as I saw him play in the Chicago series. Completely dominated

The Kings were inches away from winning (or at least sending to overtime) three times last night. The two incredible how did that not go in puck on goal line chances and the ringer off the crossbar by gaborik that had Henrik beat.

I must also mention that I saw some of the best *textbook quality* hip checks last night. Overall it was an exciting game last night and now I want to see a home LA win.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.