is Patrick Kane the best in the world?

CallawaySabres

I wish they would do studies of the brains of players like Gretzky and Lemieux. What is it that enables them to see the game the way they do and preform at the level they do. It's goes well beyond starting young, dedication and hard work. There has to be something more to it.

Well, purely hypothetical here but I think that the best players brains are very good at predictive analysis. Then, they are also likely good at recognizing spatial relationships.

So, they are very good at seeing the relationship of each player on the ice to each other relative to the framework of the ice rink. In addition, they are capable of integrating motion analysis of those players to also see where they are most likely to be over the next second. This is obviously repeated over and over again while playing. I am sure they are also good at reacting to subtle movement changes in a player and have the ability then react in a timely manner to take advantage of it.

For example, my 6 year old daughter is almost freaky good at putting these types of puzzles together:

G-51237.jpg

She usually completes them in about 15-30 minutes on her first attempt. Without actually looking up anything on the Internet I was amazed at this. The other day I was watching her do a new puzzle and I finally noticed how she was so good at solving the puzzles.

So, she noticed little things that others did not and consequently was able to take advantage of that.

It's an interesting topic. Of course there is athletic capability built into all of that but we know that the most athletic isn't always the most talented.

Well, purely hypothetical here but I think that the best players brains are very good at predictive analysis. Then, they are also likely good at recognizing spatial relationships.

So, they are very good at seeing the relationship of each player on the ice to each other relative to the framework of the ice rink. In addition, they are capable of integrating motion analysis of those players to also see where they are most likely to be over the next second. This is obviously repeated over and over again while playing. I am sure they are also good at reacting to subtle movement changes in a player and have the ability then react in a timely manner to take advantage of it.

For example, my 6 year old daughter is almost freaky good at putting these types of puzzles together:

G-51237.jpg

She usually completes them in about 15-30 minutes on her first attempt. Without actually looking up anything on the Internet I was amazed at this. The other day I was watching her do a new puzzle and I finally noticed how she was so good at solving the puzzles.

So, she noticed little things that others did not and consequently was able to take advantage of that.

It's an interesting topic. Of course there is athletic capability built into all of that but we know that the most athletic isn't always the most talented.

I think you nailed the two most important factors here. Good stuff.

G-51237.jpg

This was really interesting and why I am leaning to Reinhart as our top pick

He just thinks the game so well.

Kane leads Hawks to 3rd Stanley Cup with a game 7 OT goal over Montreal and thoughts of taking Buffalo to their first Cup win start to creep in.........

This makes me want to go on a killing spree through 12 states.

I wish they would do studies of the brains of players like Gretzky and Lemieux. What is it that enables them to see the game the way they do and preform at the level they do. It's goes well beyond starting young, dedication and hard work. There has to be something more to it.

Ok, this is slightly off topic, but you have to wonder about Crosby with some post concussion symptoms? I would say no after the numbers he put up this year in a full season (basically close to the top of his career numbers in a full year) but I have to wonder based on a couple things I heard.

Toward the end of the year, and now into the playoffs, he is obviously not producing numbers (at least goals.) Now, even a 10-15 game sample is pretty small (a lot of great players go through goal droughts like that), but I it something I heard/read a few times. I wish I could find it, but during the season I read an article online where someone (a former player or scout) was slightly critical of Crosby, saying that although he was putting up numbers, his "decision making" seemed to be a bit slower. What I do remember for sure is on the 11am-noon hockey show on 590 from Toronto, the other day someone said the same thing....that his decision making was a bit slower than it had been in the past...and they brought up that after a second major concussion....sometimes players never get back to the same level of decision making they had before them.

I'm not sure if that is true or not..but having read it once and then heard a different source say it later, it does make you wonder.

Of course, If Pitt goes on the beat the Rangers in the Series and Crosby puts up 5+ goals and at least 10 points...none of this will be said again.

• 2 weeks later...

Those kinds of games put Kane into "best in the game" discussion.

And as Crosby does nothing for his team to advance, Kane simply does it again in THE most critical of moments. Now there are certainly some arguments to be made for other players, but as far as Crosby goes, what have you done for me lately? Sid was virtually invisible for the entire playoff run (which was once again cut short) while the cream of the crop rises on the other teams (Kane, Getzlaf, Toews.)

Toews and Kane > Malkin and Crosby

Toews and Kane > Getzlaf and Perry

It's that simple. You can't help but be amazed by what those two do. Toews from a pure put the team on my back and do whatever it takes to win, leadership, position. Kane from a pure, watch me now because we need something to happen, reason.

Neither of them seem to be nullified for long.

And as Crosby does nothing for his team to advance, Kane simply does it again in THE most critical of moments. Now there are certainly some arguments to be made for other players, but as far as Crosby goes, what have you done for me lately? Sid was virtually invisible for the entire playoff run (which was once again cut short) while the cream of the crop rises on the other teams (Kane, Getzlaf, Toews.)

The previous 4 seasons it has been Fluery who has been the cause for them to be knocked out.

Crosby finished with 12 points, so I wouldn't say he was invisible. But yeah he wasn't great in the final. In terms of being clutch well, look at the olympics. Kane was piss poor whilst Crosby and Toews carried the team to gold. My point, is not Crosby is good and Kane isn't; jst that even good players have bad games in big games

The previous 4 seasons it has been Fluery who has been the cause for them to be knocked out.

Crosby finished with 12 points, so I wouldn't say he was invisible. But yeah he wasn't great in the final. In terms of being clutch well, look at the olympics. Kane was piss poor whilst Crosby and Toews carried the team to gold. My point, is not Crosby is good and Kane isn't; jst that even good players have bad games in big games

One minor point about Kane's play at the Olympics, they fell pretty much right square dab in the middle of an ~6 week long funk after the death of his grandfather. He had many chances in the Olympics but couldn't bury them if his life depended on it. Which was pretty much how he played for Chicago on either side of the break.

MAF sv% going back to 2009 playoffs

2009: .908% 24gp

2010: .891% 13gp

2011: .899% 7gp

2012: .834% 6gp

2013: .883% 5gp

2014: .915 13gp

I am thinking there is something very wrong in Pittsburgh.

Edit: his 2014 sv% will change as Elite Prospect was not updated from last nights game yet.

Edited by LGR4GM

My average, not cheating, was 230-240

Did 255 on average for the first 5.

Tried again, and got 237 avg. for 5.

Tried once more, and hit 234 avg. for 5.

Makes sense that you get faster as you "warm up", as long as you don't get jumpy.

MAF sv% going back to 2009 playoffs

2009: .908% 24gp

2010: .891% 13gp

2011: .899% 7gp

2012: .834% 6gp

2013: .883% 5gp

2014: .915 13gp

I am thinking there is something very wrong in Pittsburgh.

Edit: his 2014 sv% will change as Elite Prospect was not updated from last nights game yet.

Ouch....

Wonder if Philly will be trading for him anytime soon?

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.