OT - 2014 NFL Draft

I get that. Here's my concern: The skill set of Watkins is the one that I covet (hearing him compared to AJ Green? Yes please!), but I think it's Evans that a player like EJ needs (big guy, big catch radius). I'm just concerned that Evans will not pan out - nothing but a gut instinct there.

I am convinced that Evans will be a mediocre #2 guy who is a 1 trick pony. His size can surely help in the red zone, but the guy is unbalanced, can't run a route tree, and lackadaisical. Someone broke down the routes run on catches for the top 5 projected receivers...and Evans had over 40% of his grabs on comeback routes. Why is that? Because he had the most dynamic scrambling QB in football who could keep plays alive forever, and he could use his body to shield. In the NFL...you don't have that luxury. 3 step, 5 step, release. A smart D will make sure he doesn't burn you deep, and guys will be sitting on that comeback. It will be Pick6 City. The comparisons to Vincent Jackson are way off. Jackson was so much more versatile and polished coming out of college.

Can he still catch 40-50 balls a year for 700 yards and 7 TD's?....sure. But I don't want to be the team that burns a top 10 pick hoping he is more.

This Bruce Ellington kid out of South Carolina is who has me giddy. He played basketball as well so didn't focus all his effort at WR. He is balanced and polished though considering, and just goes and grabs the ball wherever it is and does so with confidence. He isn't big, but he can do everything and could be amazing in the slot when 3-4 wide. I don't see much buzz....but a smart team makes sure he is gone by early 3rd at the latest.

I can see why teams like Beckham out of LSU, but it seems a little crazy talking about him in the top 10-15.

I would like to see the Bills focus on defense. They had a decent defense last season, continue to build the defense and establish that defensive identity. The price to into position to draft Clowney is likely too steep. If Mack makes it's past Cleveland at #4 I would take a shot at Oakland's #5 pick. If all plays out as predicted and the Bills stay at #9, I'd like to see them pick DT Aaron Donald or S Haha Clinton Dix with the pick.

Donald seems to be getting love. A month ago when I was going through projections....he was going between 12-20 for the most part. He's sneaking into a lot of top 10's now.

Dix would be a good replacement for Byrd. I've been watching interviews with a lot of the guys in NYC, and he impressed me.

I still think the smart play is to drop to 12-18 and grab one of 5 or 6 closely rated guys who could all help.

My last minute draft day shocker would be Oakland screwing the whole thing up and taking Taylor Lewan at 5. If it goes Clowney/Robinson/Manziel/Watkins...you could have Mack and Matthews at 6 where Atlanta really needs a tackle. Could Mack fall to 7?

What's the line on Michael Sam?

If he doesn't get picked, would it turn into a media circus?

I thought the consensus was that he would be a late day 2 - early day 3 pick?

Yes, and a media circus no matter what happens.

We have that thread. Bump the breast thread!

And find where I said "elite talent" in my argument. I said "higher end" as in I think in general, late 1st round picks are better than mid-2nds. Not always, and trading down has merit, but when you do it year in year out, I do think you end up missing out on better players.

There's a Breast Thread???

Regardless of position, I'm just hoping they pick a guy that will be able to contribute immediately

Just curious, what're everyone's plans this evening? Are you going to:

1. Watch the draft and check the boxscores periodically, or

2. Watch the B's/Habs game and keep up with the draft online, or

3. What draft? #becauseitstheCup

4. Neither/have other plans

I'll be going with Option 2.

Edited by Campy

Regardless of position, I'm just hoping they pick a guy that will be able to contribute immediately

Just curious, what're everyone's plans this evening? Are you going to:

1. Watch the draft and check the boxscores periodically, or

2. Watch the B's/Habs game and keep up with the draft online, or

3. What draft? #becauseitstheCup

4. Neither/have other plans

I'll be going with Option 2.

0. Mow lawn

1. Clean up cat litter

2. Change oil on motorcycle

3. Start collecting camping and motorcycle gear

4. Maybe pack the bike if I have time

I'll check the scores (I can't watch without cable anyway) and see the draft stuff tomorrow.

1) Watch as much of the first period as I can

2) Go to friends and watch picks 1-10 while checking scores

3) Go home and continue watching hockey

I have seen on quite a few mocks that have Kelvin Benjamin available in the 2nd. If that were true and the bills do not take a WR in the 1st would you take him if available?

Edited by LGR4GM

1) Watch as much of the first period as I can

2) Go to friends and watch picks 1-10 while checking scores

3) Go home and continue watching hockey

I have seen on quite a few mocks that have Kelvin Benjamin available in the 2nd. If that were true and the bills do not take a WR in the 1st would you take him if available?

I would and I'd be surprised if he's still available at 41

So say you take Ebron at 9, would you take Benjamin at 41? Manuel already knows him and it would make your WR core that much better but it leaves OL holes.

I'd rather see them take Matthews or Lewan if they are there (Robinson will probably be the first OT off the board, right?). Ebron might end up being the greatest TE in the history of TEs for all I know, but I think it's more important to address OT than TE.

That said, Ebron is a fascinating prospect and I wouldn't flip out if he and Benjamin are Bills tomorrow morning. I've raised an occasional eyebrow with some of Bflo's picks over the years, but I like to think the pros know more than me so I don't get too worked up about it.

What say you? How would you feel if Benjamin and Ebron are the two guys selected tonight?

Jackson is 33 and Spiller has some nagging health issues, is a running back in the 2nd or 3rd round out of the question?

No, and with their contract statuses it's probably a smart move to get a guy in for a year before being expected to contribute.

BILLS ON THE BOARD

Has to be Sammy Watkins

I absolutely hate that trade of next year's pick, BUT they should now use Stevie Johnson to make a move later on.

\

There's no way you move into the too 5 without giving two first rounders. How many times have the Bills drafted top 5 in the last decade, once, twice? I don't see us breaking the trend and making that 2015 pick next year a top 5, so I'm not too worried about it. The only thing that really sucks about it is if we don't get a qb in the later rounds for an insurance policy for EJ Edited by WildCard

Bills needed to get a super stud WR. Yeah they gave up a first and fourth next year. Who cares they need to start winning and they need some weapons for Manuel. Now draft an offensive lineman in the second and I wouldn't mind seeing a backup QB in later rounds. New GM needed to create some excitement.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.