OT - 2014 NFL Draft

Bills Focus: Inside Buffalo's Draft Room <7:38>

Go inside Buffalo's draft room and see exactly how things played out for the Bills during the 2014 NFL Draft.

ON THE CLOCK: Whaley’s decisive deal making

The ‘On the Clock’ series on Buffalobills.com concludes with this fourth and final installment on the heels of a weekend of deal making by Bills GM Doug Whaley.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 7 months later...

I got an early start this year on looking at the combine film for the draft. I approach the draft the exact same way I do with a horse sale. I don't care how a guy played in college, where he is projected, his numbers on their own, or intangibles....UNTIL...I go through their drills and find guys based on build/conformation, fluidity/rigidity, efficiency of motion in all directions, physical technique, efficiency of strength, and confidence and alertness. My goal is to find the most balanced individuals, regardless of pure talent. Those are the guys that will have the best chance of making a roster or an impact in my opinion. If there is no film on a guy, I did not search anything down, so there could be viable options in guys who didn't participate.

There are some guys that are ok that I won't profile, and a lot that are ranked in the top few rounds that I don't care for and will not include. You can assume if it is someone ranked in the 1st - 3rd round and I don't have them here, they would be off my draft board. I will give *** rankings to guys I would love to target and who I feel are great value at where they are being projected, and + to guys who you might look at a little before average projections.

It's not a foolproof method, but it works very well for me and I feel given my eye, is probably 85% of what goes into finding an athlete. I don't have medical reports, police reports, and haven't traveled the country watching them or talking to acquaintances. I would also rather whiff by not taking a guy I don't believe in...like I did with Luke Kuechly.

OK...... first position....Offensive Line. My round projection is based on a standard to the position, not necessarily this specific draft. Last year was so weak in general for the entire draft, guys I was projecting 3rd and 4th round were going late 1st and 2nd. I think this draft is much deeper at quality for the OL.

Greg Robinson - T - Auburn - This guy is built perfectly for a mauling tackle. He is simply overpowering and has technique to go with that power. He covers ground smoothly on the move. While not perfectly fluid, for his size he is a mover. At worst you have a Pro Bowl right tackle who can blow guys away in the run game. I'd assume he is a top 5 guy.

** Taylor Lewan - T - Michigan - I was blown away by his balance and fluidity. He has a very athletic build and carries himself like a skill player. He can change direction on a dime. While not overpowering, he is so balanced and well built that to me, he is the best all-around tackle. While Robinson may be elite if he can get his hands on guys, Lewan should be able to keep up with any rusher at LT. He is an obvious target at #9 if there.

X - I wouldn't think about taking Jake Matthews in the top 10. He is rigid, not as balanced as either of the other 2, and lacks fluidity.

Cameron Fleming - T/G - Stanford - He is tall and played tackle, but is built like a guard with beef and stockiness. There looks to be untapped power because of his wide footing in his drive. He is very fluid at the hip though and one of the best lateral movers. Smart kid. Don't love him, but would be an ok depth guy who could swing. 3rd or 4th round.

Gabe Jackson - G - Miss St. - He is a bowling ball type of guard. He has good lateral movement and stays square to his man. Very confident and aware. While he looks more powerful, his technique probably saps some power potential as he gets off his heels. Would be ok in the 3rd, but no value and not enough upside.

*** Ryan Groy - G - Wisconsin - I just love this guy, especially compared to where he is being projected by most. He is an oak tree, big and wide, and is very nimble for his build. He is solid laterally, and fluid on the move. He projects confidence. The only downside I see is wide legs in his drive. While he is projected later in the draft, I would scoop him up all day in the 4th and even think about the 3rd. I get the feeling he is a bigger, more athletic Jerry Ostroski. Could probably start.

* Weston Richburg - C - Col St. - Stalky, but conformed well. Fluid in open space and good lateral. Doesn't seem overpowering but aware and focused. Probably not a target for the Bills given Wood, but quality. 3rd

** John Urschel - G - Penn St. - Love the way this guy is built for scrappy guard. Great balance in his push and ok lateral. Smarts off the charts and sportsmanship. Another who is projected low, but I would have no problem in the 4th round and even a reach. Just seems to be lock for a roster spot at least.

Jonotthan Harrison - C - Florida - A little undersized, but very athletic build. The thing that stands out is his forward push and great technique in driving. He is average otherwise. His build gives him a shot to put on a few pounds of fat with no problem and could be a good project for C/G. 5th or 6th round.

Justin Britt - T - Missouri - Tall but a little rigid up top. He has good fluid movement however. Doesn't power through but has natural strength. Would be a good project that could move up with coaching. 5th or 6th round.

Overall: While there are about 8-10 guys in the first 3 rounds I didn't see value in, this is a deep position. Lewan is a target at #9 to me and would allow Glenn to go to RT. I think you can draft your starting guard in the 3rd or 4th round, and would bet dollars to donuts Groy could be the perfect fit.

Edit: I like Zack Martin - T - Notre Dame....a poor man's Lewan. Wouldn't take him in the top half of the 1st, but 20-30 is fine.

If there is 1 key reason to get rid of Whaley and/or Marrone.....it is this. Yes, the trade for Watkins was steep and not having a viable QB in here during camp was not bright, but to their credit, they moved away from Manuel early, and the 19th pick going to Cleveland won't hurt as much as if it were the #6....which it could have easily been if they were going to let EJ go down with the ship.

The offensive line is over 20% of your starters and 20% of your gameday roster. Marrone was a lineman himself and you would HOPE, he would add value to the selection and development process. I understand the theory of drafting big linemen, but being built that way myself, I know the strengths and weaknesses of doing so. When you have an immobile line, you BETTER have nasty guys that can move a pile and complimentary players who can run that way, and a QB who can feel the rush and buy an extra Mississippi every now and then. Other than Boobie Dixon, and Fred Jackson at times, God bless his soul, this team has more talent in the receiving game at this point.

A few weeks before the draft, I spent maybe 2 hours going through the combine video of linemen and following up with a little research on guys who impressed me. I consider myself to have a valid process and skillset to do so, but I am not an NFL employee, or even football for that matter....I do not watch much college football.....and I certainly don't dedicate my life to finding NFL talent by visiting college after college, week after week. But yet somehow, EVERY SINGLE offensive lineman I identified was selected near or after where I projected them except Britt, and EVERY SINGLE lineman has started multiple games for their team this year.....5 of the 10 on playoff teams.

How can that happen? Sadly, the worst of my projections so far is Robinson....but you have an undrafted guy in Harrison starting for the Colts almost all year, an undrafted guy in Groy starting for the Bears the last month, Urschel goes in the 5th round and is a swing starter for the Ravens, Gabe Jackson is a beast in Oakland and a mid round pick, Flemming is being used as both a tackle and eligible TE and when started, NE started running the ball well. Britt is starting for the Seahawks but I wouldn't have taken him that high....and Lewan took a few weeks, but is being raved about as the season went on.

I love scouting and putting things down in print to revisit. I whiff with the best of them at times, but considering how the Bills front office whiffed so badly in their offensive line management......and podunk Ghost of Dwight Drane is doing some labor of love at 1am on a random Tuesday with a 6 pack of IPA and can find 10 starters on the O-line while our high #2 can't even dress on gameday.....WTH is going on?

I like Whaley's passion and he is pretty sharp for the most part.

I think Marrone has the makeup of a good coach, although he makes dubious game management decisions.

Hackett is sub-par if the first 2 are average NFL minds.

I hope Pegula handles this better than the Sabres.

Wasn't sure where to put this but since GoDD resurrected this thread I'll put it here.

I'm as big of a Tampa Bay Bucs fan as I am Bills fan and for all you Sabres pro-tankers out there this is how you get it done!!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12088567/tampa-bay-buccaneers-blow-big-lead-lose-secure-no-1-pick

The Bucs lose yesterday and they pick first in the draft. Win and they pick second. Well with them beating the Aints by 13 in the 4th quarter Lovie Smith literally pulls all of his starters. VJax and potential rookie of the year candidate Mike Evans didn't play a snap in the 4th Q. When Evans was asked about it after the game he said the coach thought he was winded so he didn't play. He was winded the whole 4th Q?! With all third and fourth stringers in the Aints came back and won the game late, thus sealing the first pick. Sabres, are you watching?!

Wasn't sure where to put this but since GoDD resurrected this thread I'll put it here.

I'm as big of a Tampa Bay Bucs fan as I am Bills fan and for all you Sabres pro-tankers out there this is how you get it done!!

http://espn.go.com/n...ecure-no-1-pick

The Bucs lose yesterday and they pick first in the draft. Win and they pick second. Well with them beating the Aints by 13 in the 4th quarter Lovie Smith literally pulls all of his starters. VJax and potential rookie of the year candidate Mike Evans didn't play a snap in the 4th Q. When Evans was asked about it after the game he said the coach thought he was winded so he didn't play. He was winded the whole 4th Q?! With all third and fourth stringers in the Aints came back and won the game late, thus sealing the first pick. Sabres, are you watching?!

Not to pick nits, but there are 82 games in an NHL season. There are 64 quarters in an NFL season. I think every anti-tanker here would be totally fine with the Sabres tanking the final 1.3 games (rounding up) of the season in order to get McJesus.

Not to pick nits, but there are 82 games in an NHL season. There are 64 quarters in an NFL season. I think every anti-tanker here would be totally fine with the Sabres tanking the final 1.3 games (rounding up) of the season in order to get McJesus.

Yeah, even I would be ok with that.

I'd be fine if the Sabres did similar for the rest of the season to ensure they draft no lower than 2nd overall. After reading and hearing about the current Sabres prospects I'm even more convinced that they need McEichel.

And it's because of anticompetitive crap like that that the NHL and NBA have a lottery system.

You think the lottery system has solved the tanking problems? There has been a lot of talk like that around here due to the state of the Sabres but I think it's been much worse in the NBA.

Either way I'll be so glad when this Sabres season is over. It really does suck rooting for the tanks. I just hope it pays off for the Bucs and more importantly the Sabres. October 2015 can't come soon enough.....

You think the lottery system has solved the tanking problems? There has been a lot of talk like that around here due to the state of the Sabres but I think it's been much worse in the NBA.

Either way I'll be so glad when this Sabres season is over. It really does suck rooting for the tanks. I just hope it pays off for the Bucs and more importantly the Sabres. October 2015 can't come soon enough.....

The NBA has a much harsher lottery system than the NHL, and Magic freakin' Johnson advocated tanking this month for the Lakers. The lottery systems do not remove the incentive to tank...at all.

• 10 months later...

I got an early start this year on looking at the combine film for the draft. I approach the draft the exact same way I do with a horse sale. I don't care how a guy played in college, where he is projected, his numbers on their own, or intangibles....UNTIL...I go through their drills and find guys based on build/conformation, fluidity/rigidity, efficiency of motion in all directions, physical technique, efficiency of strength, and confidence and alertness. My goal is to find the most balanced individuals, regardless of pure talent. Those are the guys that will have the best chance of making a roster or an impact in my opinion. If there is no film on a guy, I did not search anything down, so there could be viable options in guys who didn't participate.

There are some guys that are ok that I won't profile, and a lot that are ranked in the top few rounds that I don't care for and will not include. You can assume if it is someone ranked in the 1st - 3rd round and I don't have them here, they would be off my draft board. I will give *** rankings to guys I would love to target and who I feel are great value at where they are being projected, and + to guys who you might look at a little before average projections.

It's not a foolproof method, but it works very well for me and I feel given my eye, is probably 85% of what goes into finding an athlete. I don't have medical reports, police reports, and haven't traveled the country watching them or talking to acquaintances. I would also rather whiff by not taking a guy I don't believe in...like I did with Luke Kuechly.

OK...... first position....Offensive Line. My round projection is based on a standard to the position, not necessarily this specific draft. Last year was so weak in general for the entire draft, guys I was projecting 3rd and 4th round were going late 1st and 2nd. I think this draft is much deeper at quality for the OL.

Greg Robinson - T - Auburn - This guy is built perfectly for a mauling tackle. He is simply overpowering and has technique to go with that power. He covers ground smoothly on the move. While not perfectly fluid, for his size he is a mover. At worst you have a Pro Bowl right tackle who can blow guys away in the run game. I'd assume he is a top 5 guy.

** Taylor Lewan - T - Michigan - I was blown away by his balance and fluidity. He has a very athletic build and carries himself like a skill player. He can change direction on a dime. While not overpowering, he is so balanced and well built that to me, he is the best all-around tackle. While Robinson may be elite if he can get his hands on guys, Lewan should be able to keep up with any rusher at LT. He is an obvious target at #9 if there.

X - I wouldn't think about taking Jake Matthews in the top 10. He is rigid, not as balanced as either of the other 2, and lacks fluidity.

Cameron Fleming - T/G - Stanford - He is tall and played tackle, but is built like a guard with beef and stockiness. There looks to be untapped power because of his wide footing in his drive. He is very fluid at the hip though and one of the best lateral movers. Smart kid. Don't love him, but would be an ok depth guy who could swing. 3rd or 4th round.

Gabe Jackson - G - Miss St. - He is a bowling ball type of guard. He has good lateral movement and stays square to his man. Very confident and aware. While he looks more powerful, his technique probably saps some power potential as he gets off his heels. Would be ok in the 3rd, but no value and not enough upside.

*** Ryan Groy - G - Wisconsin - I just love this guy, especially compared to where he is being projected by most. He is an oak tree, big and wide, and is very nimble for his build. He is solid laterally, and fluid on the move. He projects confidence. The only downside I see is wide legs in his drive. While he is projected later in the draft, I would scoop him up all day in the 4th and even think about the 3rd. I get the feeling he is a bigger, more athletic Jerry Ostroski. Could probably start.

* Weston Richburg - C - Col St. - Stalky, but conformed well. Fluid in open space and good lateral. Doesn't seem overpowering but aware and focused. Probably not a target for the Bills given Wood, but quality. 3rd

** John Urschel - G - Penn St. - Love the way this guy is built for scrappy guard. Great balance in his push and ok lateral. Smarts off the charts and sportsmanship. Another who is projected low, but I would have no problem in the 4th round and even a reach. Just seems to be lock for a roster spot at least.

Jonotthan Harrison - C - Florida - A little undersized, but very athletic build. The thing that stands out is his forward push and great technique in driving. He is average otherwise. His build gives him a shot to put on a few pounds of fat with no problem and could be a good project for C/G. 5th or 6th round.

Justin Britt - T - Missouri - Tall but a little rigid up top. He has good fluid movement however. Doesn't power through but has natural strength. Would be a good project that could move up with coaching. 5th or 6th round.

Overall: While there are about 8-10 guys in the first 3 rounds I didn't see value in, this is a deep position. Lewan is a target at #9 to me and would allow Glenn to go to RT. I think you can draft your starting guard in the 3rd or 4th round, and would bet dollars to donuts Groy could be the perfect fit.

Edit: I like Zack Martin - T - Notre Dame....a poor man's Lewan. Wouldn't take him in the top half of the 1st, but 20-30 is fine.

Sorry, can't put this in the Bills thread on phone.

Bills signed my boy Groy finally. He started a few games for the bears. I'm probably the only person in the city excited.

Looking back, every single OL I liked is a starter or was last year. Sadly the only whiff was Robinson.

Notice the lack of Kuwanjo and Richardson...oh Whaley.

I'd say both are playing out just great!!  Being a Bucs fan was like being a Bills fan for a number of years but famous Jameis is changing all that.

Also, a God sighting?

Typo alert.

I just saw GoDD, not God.

Hi Ghost,

How's it haggin'?

Hey

I'm peachy as always. I must admit I did read through 60 pages of rumors, speculation, accusations, and lewd comments about an NHL figure who was never brought up on charges but was investigated.

I'm wondering how anyone here is still allowed to post.

Hey

I'm peachy as always. I must admit I did read through 60 pages of rumors, speculation, accusations, and lewd comments about an NHL figure who was never brought up on charges but was investigated.

I don't have a single post in that thread. Just sayin'.

Good to hear your voice.

Hey

Classic...

Welcome back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.