OT - 2014 NFL Draft

Just remember that the 49ers traded for Boldin for a 6th rounder. So don't expect trading Stevie to net us anything worthwhile in terms of draft assets.

Exactly. I don't know why people want to trade Stevie. Is a (maybe) 4th rounder really going to help us more than his likely 800+ yard production? Get rid of Graham before you get rid of Stevie.

Exactly. I don't know why people want to trade Stevie. Is a (maybe) 4th rounder really going to help us more than his likely 800+ yard production? Get rid of Graham before you get rid of Stevie.

I think people fall into two camps: 1) They're tired of Stevie's "antics" and dropsies, and 2) Stevie is our #1, but he's not a true #1 in the grand scheme. Maybe there's a third category I'm not seeing, but neither of these makes a whole ton of sense to me. With respect to #1, if those are the criteria for keeping players, good luck fielding an NFL football team. As far as #2 goes, the solution is obvious: get a real #1 in here and slide Stevie into the slot. I actually understand he can be frustrating, but I honestly don't see trading him for peanuts as a good solution, nor something that improves the team.

So I've pretty much paid no attention to draft hype. Therefore my question is one born from both ignorance and bliss.

I estimate that the Bills really need some help on either offensive or defensive lines in the form of first-round talent. That may or may not be true. In any case, is it at all in the cards that the Bills trade up to a high draft position (I'm guessing top five, probably top three required) and then instead of taking a lineman or other high-priority need, they select Khalil Mack? Would that be stupid and and wasteful of a high pick (and assets used to acquire that pick)?

So I've pretty much paid no attention to draft hype. Therefore my question is one born from both ignorance and bliss.

I estimate that the Bills really need some help on either offensive or defensive lines in the form of first-round talent. That may or may not be true. In any case, is it at all in the cards that the Bills trade up to a high draft position (I'm guessing top five, probably top three required) and then instead of taking a lineman or other high-priority need, they select Khalil Mack? Would that be stupid and and wasteful of a high pick (and assets used to acquire that pick)?

Every year it seems we switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or from a 4-3 to a 3-4... I've pretty much given up on trying to figure out which guys fit in which system. But, if someone in the know thinks we need a better LB, Mack is at the top of the food chain. I'd be happy with him as the pick. Plus, he already knows his way around Wegmans.

I'll go on record and say the Bills move into the top 5. Not for the betterment of the long-term benefit of the Bills, but for Whaley to save his a-ss when a new owner comes in. He has to produce a playoff season this year or he will be gone, new NFL owners always bring in their own guys.

Edited by WildCard

That and it puts it right in the middle of NHL and NBA playoffs, which will irritate plenty of people.

You called it the NBA instead of bouncy ball. I commend you on your progress as a human being :thumbsup: :P

Every year it seems we switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 or from a 4-3 to a 3-4... I've pretty much given up on trying to figure out which guys fit in which system. But, if someone in the know thinks we need a better LB, Mack is at the top of the food chain. I'd be happy with him as the pick. Plus, he already knows his way around Wegmans.

I don't think it even matters anymore, to be honest. Teams spend so little time in their base package that 43 v 34 has become a debate with little meaning, and good coaches run a multitude of looks which gets talented players on the field in favorable positions.

I don't think it even matters anymore, to be honest. Teams spend so little time in their base package that 43 v 34 has become a debate with little meaning, and good coaches run a multitude of looks which gets talented players on the field in favorable positions.

Yeah, I figure Mack is huge and fast (and productive), so he must fit in somewhere.

Yeah, I figure Mack is huge and fast (and productive), so he must fit in somewhere.

If a coach can't find a way to utilize Mack, that coach sucks (and this isn't even me being a UB homer, everybody loves Mack!). I look at Von Miller in Denver...in no way, shape, or form did I think he belonged in a 43 defense--to me, he was as pure of a 34 outside backer as you could ever hope to find. And what do ya know? They found creative ways to use him and he has been a monster.

Now, whether Schwartz is a guy that can pull something like that off, is another conversation entirely.

Robinson is the only guy I would be happy about trading up for. I could live with Mack or Watkins but don't think it's worth it. Clowney is interesting.

I would think in a year with only 6 picks, you'd try to add picks. That's one of the reasons the Pats are good year after year....they collect ammo and let quality players come to them...then have the ammo to jump up when it is cheaper to grab a guy they really want.

If Whaley wants to be aggressive, I would rather he trade next year's 1st for another 1st this year in the 13-20 range if you could get a team to bite. Then I'd trade down to 13-15....then try and package your 2nd and what you got extra for moving down, and get a 3rd pick in the first in that same range.

I draft Shazier/Pryor/Verrett......and all of a sudden you have a top 5 defense from day 1 of training camp. All this talk of getting EJ tools....how about getting him a defense that shaves off 7 points a game EJ needs to score and who gives him the ball an extra 15 times off turnovers and 5 yards further up the field on average to start drives?

The only 2 guys in the 9 range that would make me put a gun to my head would be Evans for certain, and Barr. I could live with Ebron and understand it even though I wouldn't like it. I pray Evans isn't on their radar.

trading up for Clowney would be a mistake. Yes he has the ability to be elite but you will only see that 50% of the time at best. There is something off about him that I can't put my finger on. The bills should take Evans or Robinson if they trade up.

Robinson is the only guy I would be happy about trading up for. I could live with Mack or Watkins but don't think it's worth it. Clowney is interesting.

I would think in a year with only 6 picks, you'd try to add picks. That's one of the reasons the Pats are good year after year....they collect ammo and let quality players come to them...then have the ammo to jump up when it is cheaper to grab a guy they really want.

If Whaley wants to be aggressive, I would rather he trade next year's 1st for another 1st this year in the 13-20 range if you could get a team to bite. Then I'd trade down to 13-15....then try and package your 2nd and what you got extra for moving down, and get a 3rd pick in the first in that same range.

I draft Shazier/Pryor/Verrett......and all of a sudden you have a top 5 defense from day 1 of training camp. All this talk of getting EJ tools....how about getting him a defense that shaves off 7 points a game EJ needs to score and who gives him the ball an extra 15 times off turnovers and 5 yards further up the field on average to start drives?

The only 2 guys in the 9 range that would make me put a gun to my head would be Evans for certain, and Barr. I could live with Ebron and understand it even though I wouldn't like it. I pray Evans isn't on their radar.

Oh come on. The Pats being good has absolutely zero to do with their draft strategy. Frankly, I think if they would take higher end talent instead of trading down all the time they might have won a 4th Super Bowl by now.

Oh come on. The Pats being good has absolutely zero to do with their draft strategy. Frankly, I think if they would take higher end talent instead of trading down all the time they might have won a 4th Super Bowl by now.

If you want a debate for the sake of debate...at least start a thread about hot chicks....

And how do you draft elite talent when your average pick the past decade is something like 25????????????

If you want a debate for the sake of debate...at least start a thread about hot chicks....

And how do you draft elite talent when your average pick the past decade is something like 25????????????

We have that thread. Bump the breast thread!

And find where I said "elite talent" in my argument. I said "higher end" as in I think in general, late 1st round picks are better than mid-2nds. Not always, and trading down has merit, but when you do it year in year out, I do think you end up missing out on better players.

And find where I said "elite talent" in my argument. I said "higher end" as in I think in general, late 1st round picks are better than mid-2nds. Not always, and trading down has merit, but when you do it year in year out, I do think you end up missing out on better players.

I have a list here of my top 19 players....by 25, probably 12-15 will be gone....at 40 I bet 1 will be there.....

That's how the Patriots draft strategy is relevant.

There are always a good amount of yahoos that will help your cause. As long as the Bills aren't a yahoo..I'm all good.

I'll go on record and say the Bills move into the top 5. Not for the betterment of the long-term benefit of the Bills, but for Whaley to save his a-ss when a new owner comes in. He has to produce a playoff season this year or he will be gone, new NFL owners always bring in their own guys.

I think this theory has legs. With the team fairly close to contention (as delicate a balance as that is), it discourages me to think that Whaley might take an undue risk in order to save his own administration. The idea of moving up to take Watkins, in a draft where starting WR talent can be had in rounds 2 and 3, seems like a needless risk. I dunno. Everything turns on EJ, really, and whether he can put together a good season. Failing that, EJ's likely out, Whaley's almost certainly out, etc.

Guest Sloth

Can't wait for the draft! Hoping for OT Jake Matthews or Greg Robinson. The two are legit. Won't be surprised if not available. If not, trade back to a team in mid teen's like the Rams, Bears, Stealers or Cowboys for an additional second round pick. After that, take TE Eric Ebron. If either scenario works out, I'll be very happy. Go Bills!!!!

*Do not want the Bills to be aggressive and move in to the top 5 for short term reasons. Yes, that may be what it takes to land Matthew or Robinson, but if it does, forget it. Go and hope option 2 works out.

I would like to see the Bills focus on defense. They had a decent defense last season, continue to build the defense and establish that defensive identity. The price to into position to draft Clowney is likely too steep. If Mack makes it's past Cleveland at #4 I would take a shot at Oakland's #5 pick. If all plays out as predicted and the Bills stay at #9, I'd like to see them pick DT Aaron Donald or S Haha Clinton Dix with the pick.

I think this theory has legs. With the team fairly close to contention (as delicate a balance as that is), it discourages me to think that Whaley might take an undue risk in order to save his own administration. The idea of moving up to take Watkins, in a draft where starting WR talent can be had in rounds 2 and 3, seems like a needless risk. I dunno. Everything turns on EJ, really, and whether he can put together a good season. Failing that, EJ's likely out, Whaley's almost certainly out, etc.

There is a big difference between getting a "starter" and getting a difference maker. I realize this isn't the NHL draft where difference makers only go top 5 but the theory still holds true. You can get a guy in the mid rounds, difference makers usually go early.

I think with the questions about EJ's health and ability being very reasonable the Bills should use a 4th rounder on a QB. There should be several sitting there that could be decent options should EJ get hurt. AJ Mccarron or Aaron Murray in the 4th would be solid choices if available to bring in smart solid QB's who could be very capable backups should EJ end up injured.

As for the first round I think we should take Mike Evans (IA, If Available) or Taylor Lewan (IA) Or Jake Matthews (IA). I think Ebron is a risky pick and I think moving up into the top 5 is foolish. It should be an interesting draft day.

Buuuuuump the breast!!!!!

There is a big difference between getting a "starter" and getting a difference maker. I realize this isn't the NHL draft where difference makers only go top 5 but the theory still holds true. You can get a guy in the mid rounds, difference makers usually go early.

I get that. Here's my concern: The skill set of Watkins is the one that I covet (hearing him compared to AJ Green? Yes please!), but I think it's Evans that a player like EJ needs (big guy, big catch radius). I'm just concerned that Evans will not pan out - nothing but a gut instinct there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.