Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

People complain about Hackett

People complain about Orton

People complain about the O-Line

People praise the defense

Then they go and complain when a coach takes those 4 things into consideration to make the call he feels is best for the situation.

I have no doubt he took them into consideration, I just think he came to the wrong conclusion because he was looking at it backwards. Yes, the defense is the strength of the team. Yes, the quarterbacking and offense left a lot to be desired. And the combination of those things is precisely why you should want to take chances on offense--you're not going to get it done the conventional way, and your defense is good enough to bail you out if the chance falls flat. If the defense is as good as many of us felt, needing to defend 20 fewer yards shouldn't be the difference between winning and losing.

I guess I have beat that drum to death. Hopefully you know that I don't really believe in such an over simplification. I do, however, strongly believe in circumstances and luck. Obviously there is a lot more to it and there is a lot to be said for being able to maximize your return when those circumstances and fate come calling.

Like JJ said, very few coaches and general managers have been able to duplicate their success at a second or third career stop. Did they become less able, or did circumstance and fate not smile on them again?

I know, that's why the smiley.

It was just an odd string of topics where you were pointing out mitigating circumstances for the success or failure of certain people. I do think luck plays a rather significant role, but much as we must come to the Movies with a willing suspension of disbelief, we come to sports message boards with a willing suspension of fatalism.

I know, that's why the smiley.

It was just an odd string of topics where you were pointing out mitigating circumstances for the success or failure of certain people. I do think luck plays a rather significant role, but much as we must come to the Movies with a willing suspension of disbelief, we come to sports message boards with a willing suspension of fatalism.

Well said

I have no doubt he took them into consideration, I just think he came to the wrong conclusion because he was looking at it backwards. Yes, the defense is the strength of the team. Yes, the quarterbacking and offense left a lot to be desired. And the combination of those things is precisely why you should want to take chances on offense--you're not going to get it done the conventional way, and your defense is good enough to bail you out if the chance falls flat. If the defense is as good as many of us felt, needing to defend 20 fewer yards shouldn't be the difference between winning and losing.

This. On top of that: you don't have an offense that easily moves the ball into the opponent's territory. So why would you give away chances when you're there? The yard or two and get yourself into field goal range. I was okay with kicking field goals on 4th and 1 up close because I didn't really expect the offense to be capable of getting into the end zone with four more chances anyways.

The Bills need a big name coach with a successful past. One that was touted by many after he left the team he had so much success with. A coach whose new team was assured immediate success. One that went to another team and put them in playoff contention year after year. Like Mike Shanahan.

The Bills need a coach that will coach them to a Super Bowl win. I don't care anything about his past.

That is something I never understood.

The complaint about the O is that the tools that were there were not used effectively.

They need to hire someone like Cowher or Tony Dungy to decide whether to keep Whaley and Brandon and to sign off on all major moves.

@ByTimGraham: Well-placed source: Polian's decision on Bills shifted in past day. Major factor in change of heart was talking to Marrone, who ripped org.

Me: Brandon and Whaley must go.

Also: Art Briles deserves some discussion. HIs offense has worked with any QB at the helm. Always amongst college football's best offenses. The system may not work in the pros but he has shown he can adjust.

Yes, yes and yes

From the man himself

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/01/01/polian-not-joining-bills-job-became-real-heavy-lift/

They need to hire someone like Cowher or Tony Dungy to decide whether to keep Whaley and Brandon and to sign off on all major moves.

@ByTimGraham: Well-placed source: Polian's decision on Bills shifted in past day. Major factor in change of heart was talking to Marrone, who ripped org.

Me: Brandon and Whaley must go.

First Marrone quits and now the Bills GM from 25 years ago isn't coming back? This New Year is getting better and better. :thumbsup:

Interesting Article on Gus Malzahn from Auburn.

http://grantland.com/features/gus-malzahn-offensive-evolution/

"But Malzahn and his madcap offense are the primary reasons why the Tigers have gone from being a last-place SEC West team to a national title contender. Auburn’s offensive resurgence has largely stemmed from two factors: the lessons of a 30-year-old book about a 50-year-old offense, and the ability of a former high school coach to adapt schemes to his players."

You know, I'm okay with a total turnover. Let's do this. As far as anyone who complains that people think the Bills are some kind of toxic organization, anything from the past is tied to Ralph Wilson. TPegs owns the team now and I don't think he's done anything with the Sabres that would give pause to NFL people. Yes, a bit rocky at times, but that's to be expected with an ownership change. I think the direction the Sabres are moving is positive at this point and the only reason it took this long is that they hung onto to Darcy and Lindy longer than they should have.

Also: Art Briles deserves some discussion. HIs offense has worked with any QB at the helm. Always amongst college football's best offenses. The system may not work in the pros but he has shown he can adjust.

His name is getting tossed around a lot, and if we're going the college route I'm all for it. Frankly I think I'd rather have him than 90% of the assistant names being mentioned.

I think the current staff infused with the correct OC could get it done. Promote Schwartz, get a proven OC and take a shot.

Could we do this, and get Briles/Malazahn to fill in as OC? I doubt they'd want to leave a prominent HC position in the NCAAF for OC in the NFL though.

After reading that, how is Marrone leaving a good thing for the Bills?

I personally don't think he was the right coach for the team. Better to be rid of him sooner than later. I totally get where Polian is coming from and it's all very logical; I don't blame him for not wanting to put the time and energy into the job that it was evolving into. I don't think that says anything bad about the organization though, it's just a business and personal decision on the part of Polian.

I think the current staff infused with the correct OC could get it done. Promote Schwartz, get a proven OC and take a shot.

Or get an offensive minded HC that will let Schwartz continue his current DC duties without interference. Like.... Frank Reich.