Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

The NE color man who during the game said that the Bills would have a new coach and a new QB next year was right on. Kudos!

I choose to remember this year by the D-line. Dareus, Williams, Williams and Jerry Hughes, who I hope they make a huge effort to resign.

I was discussing the other day with a Detroit Lions fan...what's worse, to be a Bills fan, and get to within one foot of a Super Bowl but destined to failure, or a Lions fan who never even gets a sniff?

We agreed there is no answer.

I want to see another coach get a 9-7 record out of their #3 and #4 running backs with Kyle Orton. Did anyone ever think that maybe he punted because he knew our best chance of winning was with our defense on the field?

To those agreeing we need to find the"right" coach,… um, no chit. I thought we were talking about the method in which we find that guy.

The NE color man who during the game said that the Bills would have a new coach and a new QB next year was right on. Kudos!

I choose to remember this year by the D-line. Dareus, Williams, Williams and Jerry Hughes, who I hope they make a huge effort to resign.

I was discussing the other day with a Detroit Lions fan...what's worse, to be a Bills fan, and get to within one foot of a Super Bowl but destined to failure, or a Lions fan who never even gets a sniff?

We agreed there is no answer.

What's weird is that I've met a bunch of people over the past ten years who were pretty sure the Bills had won 1 or 2 of those Super Bowls. So maybe that's a plus. Outside of WNY, there are people who just assume it's impossible to make it that many times and not win.

New Year's Resolution: Next time I meet one of these people, I'm not correcting them. I'm going to bask in the glory of our imaginary Super Bowl win. Like I do when I play Madden.

I want to see another coach get a 9-7 record out of their #3 and #4 running backs with Kyle Orton. Did anyone ever think that maybe he punted because he knew our best chance of winning was with our defense on the field?

To those agreeing we need to find the"right" coach,… um, no chit. I thought we were talking about the method in which we find that guy.

If your defense is so good that them being on the field gives you the best chance to win, then that's an even better reason to go for it on 4th down from the opponent's territory.

What's weird is that I've met a bunch of people over the past ten years who were pretty sure the Bills had won 1 or 2 of those Super Bowls. So maybe that's a plus. Outside of WNY, there are people who just assume it's impossible to make it that many times and not win.

New Year's Resolution: Next time I meet one of these people, I'm not correcting them. I'm going to bask in the glory of our imaginary Super Bowl win. Like I do when I play Madden.

That's funny. Revel on in your imaginary Super Bowl.

The Bills need a big name coach with a successful past. One that was touted by many after he left the team he had so much success with. A coach whose new team was assured immediate success. One that went to another team and put them in playoff contention year after year. Like Mike Shanahan.

The Bills need a big name coach with a successful past. One that was touted by many after he left the team he had so much success with. A coach whose new team was assured immediate success. One that went to another team and put them in playoff contention year after year. Like Mike Shanahan.

This post is brought to you by M. Night Shyamalan.

Edited by Tank

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Not dismissing a Shanahan/ Cutler combo but his four years at Washington

6 -10, 5-11, 10-6 and 3-13. Not exactly playoff contention year after year

Edited by tom webster

Shanahan already said no once.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Shanahan already said no once.

I wasn't being serious. I was referring to the circus when Shanahan became available and every team looking for a coach went nuts trying to wine him and dine him. Only to turn out to be a complete bust. Big name coaches aren't guarantees the new team will be successful. If anything they'll be more apt to tear the team apart. Rarely do NFL head coaches become successful with more than one team. The solution for the Bills isn't necessarily about notoriety.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

And he crippled a QB taken 2nd overall. I don't know if any team would want him after what he did there.

I wasn't being serious. I was referring to the circus when Shanahan became available and every team looking for a coach went nuts trying to wine him and dine him. Only to turn out to be a complete bust. Big name coaches aren't guaranties the new team will be successful. If anything they'll be more apt to tear the team apart. Rarely do NFL head coaches become successful with more than one team. The solution for the Bills isn't necessarily about notoriety.

Ahh. Good point.

My preference for coach is somebody that's young but pretty well respected. I don't want a guy that's going to come in for one last hurrah and walk away.

The more I think about it the more hesitant I am about Reich. I would be okay with it, but I do agree that we should shoot higher than a guy who would be possibly a year or two early for the job.

David Shaw and Kevin Sumlin are the last two guys left at the college level that I think have a shot at being good NFL coaches. Both have said they're not interested in the NFL right now, and I'm not sure the Bills should go the college route.

Darell Bevell has more league experience. Would be a first-time head coach and his offense has never really had an identity. He's had two great running backs (Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch) at his two stops as offensive coordinator. That's not really the easy way to go in today's NFL. Seems to do the best with what he has either way.

Adam Gase is a questionable one for me. He was a candidate last year after just one year as assistant Peyton Manning essentially. The Broncos last OC got hired in San Diego and then now Gase is a candidate. There's clearly a common link there.

There really aren't any perfect candidates out there. There also aren't any proven vets looking for jobs like some magically expect. The best candidates are defensive minds. Do we need that? Would we be looking at yet another scheme change for that group? Do they have connections to good offensive minds to run that side of the ball?

I want a coach who knows exactly what won't work.

One who knows exactly how you can never really measure performance.

One that understands that no one is really a success or failure because they are simply a product of the QB, the other linemen, the system, the O-Line, or the circumstances.

I want Tom Webster. :)

Lauding a 9-7 record when a better record was there to be had seems backwards to me. Was the goal to get more wins in a season than Jauron or Gailey or was it to make the playoffs. As the season played out the playoffs were there to be had. IMO, with a more aggressive coach we're talking playoff match-ups this week.

His decision to leave really is a microcosm of all of those whimpy 4th down decisions: When the chips were down, Marrone let his fear drive him. Good luck Jets fans (not really).

I absolutely love this point. Yesterday was 4th down and in true Marrone fashion he punted.

At the end of the day Marrone quit. He quit on the franchise and on his players. That's a piece of heavy baggage he will have to carry with him for a long time. How does Doug Marrone stand in front of another team and talk about perseverance and never quitting and expect it to carry any weight?

One that understands that no one is really a success or failure because they are simply a product of the QB, the other linemen, the system, the O-Line, or the circumstances.

I guess I have beat that drum to death. Hopefully you know that I don't really believe in such an over simplification. I do, however, strongly believe in circumstances and luck. Obviously there is a lot more to it and there is a lot to be said for being able to maximize your return when those circumstances and fate come calling.

Like JJ said, very few coaches and general managers have been able to duplicate their success at a second or third career stop. Did they become less able, or did circumstance and fate not smile on them again?

If your defense is so good that them being on the field gives you the best chance to win, then that's an even better reason to go for it on 4th down from the opponent's territory.

Good point. But if you don't get it, then go down by three scores, the game is definitely over instead of only probably over. :)

I just think people have been listening to Shoop too much.

Whatever. Another rebuild, Another learning curve. Another season below 500 is what we now have to look forward to. I went from feeling pretty good about this year to feeling really crappy about it. There is no reason to celebrate him leaving. Sometimes (and by sometimes I mean mostimes) I think we get the exact teams we deserve in Buffalo.

:D

I wasn't being serious. I was referring to the circus when Shanahan became available and every team looking for a coach went nuts trying to wine him and dine him. Only to turn out to be a complete bust. Big name coaches aren't guaranties the new team will be successful. If anything they'll be more apt to tear the team apart. Rarely do NFL head coaches become successful with more than one team. The solution for the Bills isn't necessarily about notoriety.

My initial reply was "Mike Shanahan sucks @#$!!"

Then I read it again and figured that there was no way you were serious. Just had to double check.

Good point. But if you don't get it, then go down by three scores, the game is definitely over instead of only probably over. :)

I want a coach that essentially thinks the opposite as you. I don't want a coach sitting around worrying about not getting the first down at the opponents 40. I want a coach that looks at his guys and KNOWS how to get that one yard and KNOWS he's getting it. Not one that hopes and prays but isn't sure. And certainly not one that just punts the decision away.

I want a coach that essentially thinks the opposite as you. I don't want a coach sitting around worrying about not getting the first down at the opponents 40. I want a coach that looks at his guys and KNOWS how to get that one yard and KNOWS he's getting it. Not one that hopes and prays but isn't sure. And certainly not one that just punts the decision away.

People complain about Hackett

People complain about Orton

People complain about the O-Line

People praise the defense

Then they go and complain when a coach takes those 4 things into consideration to make the call he feels is best for the situation.

Lauding a 9-7 record when a better record was there to be had seems backwards to me. Was the goal to get more wins in a season than Jauron or Gailey or was it to make the playoffs. As the season played out the playoffs were there to be had. IMO, with a more aggressive coach we're talking playoff match-ups this week.

I would love a coach like that as well, given the proper offense to go with that thinking. With our offense, though, I'm not sure that a more aggressive coach doesn't land us out of the playoffs by November. We'll never know if the conservative coaching is what kept us in games that we won because it kept our offense from making mistakes. We'll also never know if Marrone would have changed in his third year and corrected all his mistakes. I would have liked to find out, though. I guess I'll just have to look forward to a rookie coach learn how to manage the clock,… it goes right along with watching young guys on the Sabres develop.

Someday we'll have grownup teams in Buffalo.

Edited by SwampD

People complain about Hackett

People complain about Orton

People complain about the O-Line

People praise the defense

Then they go and complain when a coach takes those 4 things into consideration to make the call he feels is best for the situation.

That is something I never understood.