McNabb, Two 2nds for Hudson Fasching & Nicolas Deslauriers

LGR4GM

Right after Pegula purchased the Amerks Parker was in on training camp try-out I think and lit it up. Pegula spoke to local media "this is cool, this kid is here on tryout and looks great and we signed him". He was on fire for the first couple of months in ROC, then flamed out and has bounced between Gwinnett and Roc since. LA native I think.

Terry said that? You don't say… Back to the trial thread.

I agree, as others have said. Now, is this Fasching kid turning into a 1st round draft pick talent? I don't know. But on the surface (without knowing much), I would think 2 2nds by themself would be worth a late first....and then to give Mcnabb who is a borderline NHL d-man?

I really need to know more about this Fashcking kid and how he projects in 2-3 years from now.

I agree, as others have said. Now, is this Fasching kid turning into a 1st round draft pick talent? I don't know. But on the surface (without knowing much), I would think 2 2nds by themself would be worth a late first....and then to give Mcnabb who is a borderline NHL d-man?

I really need to know more about this Fashcking kid and how he projects in 2-3 years from now.

Fasching looks to be similar to Compher who was drafted 35th overall.

Picks are the 2014 and 2015 2nd rounders we got from LA in Regehr deal.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl

As part of the Hudson Fasching deal, the Sabres give back to the Kings the 2014 & '15 picks that came to Buffalo in the Robyn Regehr trade.

This makes it better than our two picks likely to be at the top of the second around.

We gave up a lot, but I have to defer to Murray in the end. I presume that he has a conviction about Fasching. On paper (and based on what I have read about him), he sounds like he has a lot of upside and could end up being great for the kind of team we are building.

As an aside, especially because of what we gave up, I really hope that we do not trade Myers.

Terry said that? You don't say… Back to the trial thread.

Sorry, foggy memory, nothing about a contract!

http://cityliving.whec.com/news/news/58666-amerks-center-making-impression

“The one name is Parker. He was invited and now I see he has the first line tonight, he certainly rose up the chart.” Sabres Owner Terry Pegula singled out Amerk center Jonathan Parker first thing at the home opener.

Parker said, “I didn't hear about it until the next day but when ever a guy like that mentions you, it feels special.”

New Sabres Prospect Hudson Fasching and University of Minnesota on TV - March 7-March 16.

Friday, March 7 - at Ohio State - LIVE - 7:30 pm ET - Fox Sports North Plus/Fox College Sports Atlantic.

(Replays - Saturday, March 8 - 12:30 am ET/7:30 am ET - Fox College Sports Atlantic.)

Saturday, March 8 - at Ohio State - LIVE - 6:30 pm ET - ESPNNews/WatchESPN.com

Friday, March 14 - at Michigan (and JT Compher) - LIVE - 6:30 pm ET - ESPNNews/WatchESPN.com

Saturday, March 15 - at Michigan - LIVE - 7:00 pm ET - Big Ten Network.

(Replays - Sunday, March 16 - 12:00 am ET/6:00 am ET - Big Ten Network.)

Not loving this given the expected Moulson return. Net for the day, you traded Moulson, McNabb and a 2nd for 2 prospects and a 3rd? The goalie swap is a whatever. Ehh...

And remember, Regehr got to play with McNabb for parts of 2 years and camps. At this stage in his career, he is almost part coach. I'm sure he gave a positive review.

Not loving this given the expected Moulson return. Net for the day, you traded Moulson, McNabb and a 2nd for 2 prospects and a 3rd? The goalie swap is a whatever. Ehh...

And remember, Regehr got to play with McNabb for parts of 2 years and camps. At this stage in his career, he is almost part coach. I'm sure he gave a positive review.

Yeah but we got players. That's all that matters

Hudson Fasching went into his draft year touted as a possible first rounder and stunk up the joint, leading to his fourth-round selection.

This year he was one of the best Americans at the WJC and is tearing up the college ranks as freshman.

He's a big character kid with grit and some skill. Could be a bust, could be a total steal and become a core player.

Murray paid a high price, but he traded pieces we are deep in and I like the idea that he identified a guy and went after him hard.

This is the kind of move that could define Tim, the kind Darcy never would have made.

Deslauriers was not on my radar at all.

For comparison:

Hudson Fasching 12G-15A-27P in 31 games played for Gophers.

JT Compher 11G-17A-28P in 30 games played for Wolverines.

Both freshmen.

This kid could be the ######.

If the Sabres had traded for a JT Compher clone, we'd all be happy.

Fasching is basically having the same freshman year of college hockey that Compher is *and* he did great at the WJCs (which Compher never had a chance to play in).

If he builds on this year and keeps developing, this is a great trade for us.

The stats tell the same story that GMTM does in the press conference. Fasching has a great year as a 17 year old, which puts him on the map as a 1st round pick. but has a bad year as an 18 year old, which drops him considerably to the 4th round. He goes to school, and he plays great. If that's a fluke year, and this is Compher's clone, we thought Compher was a first rounder, and we just got his clone for a (55-60) 2nd round pick plus some fraction of McNabb. That's a pretty good deal, especially considering our prospect depth at forward.

Is Fasching really Compher's clone? Probably not, but if he pans out, he's probably not far behind at all.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Great write-up on Fasching from early June 2013: http://thehockeywriters.com/hudson-fasching-the-next-ones-nhl-2013-draft-prospect-profile/

Hudson Fasching is, simply put, a power forward. His hulking body allows him to camp out in front of the net. He’s tough to take the puck away from, and for a man of his stature, has very quick legs. Fasching is a bruiser in all three zones and displays equally adept defensive skills as offensive ones.

A tough player to handle against the boards and in the open ice, the future Minnesota Gopher uses his brute strength to barrel over players if they get in his way. He’s shown patience in his game, but does cough up the puck too often for his own good on occasion.

The main knock on his game from last season has been his consistency. Fasching came into the year with so much promise, but hasn’t been able to capitalize on his chances throughout the season.

After a promising season with the U17 USNTDP squad, which saw him score 16 goals and 20 assists, Fasching, for whatever reason, was unable to sustain his offensive prowess with the U18′s. There are aspects of his game that are going to be intriguing for general managers around the league, but you can’t expect any of them to risk using a 1st (or even 2nd) rounder on a player who hasn’t shown the capability to finish.

ETA: 3-4 years

Risk/Reward Analysis: Risk: 2/5 Reward: 4/5

NHL Potential: 2nd or 3rd line power forward capable of playing in all situations

Strengths:

Size

Board play

Crashing the net

Puck control

Goal scoring ability

Top speed

Defensive awareness

Flaws/Aspects He Needs to Work On:

Acceleration

Agility

Defensive Positioning

Consistency

Lots more there.

He's a great kid. Fast but not much laterally. Reminds me of Blake Wheeler or Nick Bjudstag.

I'm pumped we got him, but the price seems a little on the high side.

BTW - he's going to appreciate what he gets, his brother (and sister?) have something like Jim Kelly's kid has but I don't think it is Krebbs.

It seems that the Tim Murray's model is the 2007 Ducks

Gezlaf, Perry, Parros, May, Moen, Penner.....

He likes the bigger bodies.

Like the move, even though the price was on the high side.

Murray's collecting bodies that fit his model....I'm starting to think he keeps Stewart.

Edited by X. Benedict

He's a great kid. Fast but not much laterally. Reminds me of Blake Wheeler or Nick Bjudstag.

I'm pumped we got him, but the price seems a little on the high side.

BTW - he's going to appreciate what he gets, his brother (and sister?) have something like Jim Kelly's kid has but I don't think it is Krebbs.

It seems that the Tim Murray's model is the 2007 Ducks

It's what he knows.

If the Sabres had traded for a JT Compher clone, we'd all be happy.

Fasching is basically having the same freshman year of college hockey that Compher is *and* he did great at the WJCs (which Compher never had a chance to play in).

If he builds on this year and keeps developing, this is a great trade for us.

Agree, People are down the deal because of McNabb and the 2 2nd rounders. McNabb couldn't even make the worst team in the NHL twice with two different coaches. He had chances to shine under Rolston and Nolan and couldn't nail down a spot. Not worried about McNabb making much of an impact. His skating isn't the greatest anyway.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.