McNabb, Two 2nds for Hudson Fasching & Nicolas Deslauriers

LGR4GM

This is probably the correct perspective. GMTM had a player in mind and went and got him. Poof, end of story for now.

I'm all about it. Be decisive. You don't have to "win" the trade. Your goal is to get enough players on a team to reach critical mass in effort/character/skill when it comes time to win those last 16 games. If you have to "overpay" to get there in individual deals....who cares. That's why I wouldn't hesitate giving a guy like Callahan an extra million per year.

If we have given up our second this will just be awful. He was a fourth rounder LAST year. In one year LA could have turned a 4th into the 31st and a second

Which means absolutely nothing. The kid has played some hockey since last years draft, to a point Tim Murray sees him as a part of the Sabres future. I'm OK with it.

If we have given up our second this will just be awful. He was a fourth rounder LAST year. In one year LA could have turned a 4th into the 31st and a second

Our 2nd is actually 30th this year because of the Devils. Really hope we didn't lost that one.

(Note: 30th pending our late season winning streak.)

Can someone pelase explain this deal to me?

We traded an AHL-all star and TWO seconds (hopefully not ours) for a 2013 4th round pick and an AHL lifer?

Deslauriers may or may not turn into another McNabb. He's probably not far off; he'll be a guy who bounces between Rochester and Buffalo.

Fasching seems to be the real prize here. Notwithstanding where he was drafted (and you can look at where Miller and Zetterberg were drafted...), it seems that he's developing into a gritty scoring winger. He's also eligible to go to Rochester next season, rather than in 2016 (as a draft pick from the CHL would be). I like this move. Whenever that class of 2015 is ready to play, they're going to need some experienced players to play with, and I think Fasching, like Girgensons, will be one of them.

This is the kind of trade I expect from a GM with Tim Murray's strengths. He recognizes we have depth in defensive prospects and 2nd+ round draft picks, and he acquires prospects that he believes are great and help address our prospects depth needs at forward. I hope that these are guys he's watched and have a great upside, and upon a very quick examination, they are.

I'd be curious to know which 2nd round picks. Hopefully not ours.

That's true. Let's keep moving.... :P

I don't follow - a team isn't allowed to hit on a prospect deep in the draft?

Which means absolutely nothing. The kid has played some hockey since last years draft, to a point Tim Murray sees him as a part of the Sabres future. I'm OK with it.

So that was last year. Should we trade possler and Ullmark for 4th rounders! (That would be a net gain)? I wouldn't trade either for 2nds

It just seems like a waste. We are meant to have the best scouting department but didn't spot him. GMTM is meant to be a good talent evaluator but didn't spot him. How much can really change in 10 months? He is a forward - the easiest position to draft. Not comparable to goalies

Doesn't matter. Have you seen him play, do you know anything about him? Asking because I don't.

Deslauriers may or may not turn into another McNabb. He's probably not far off; he'll be a guy who bounces between Rochester and Buffalo.

Fasching seems to be the real prize here. Notwithstanding where he was drafted (and you can look at where Miller and Zetterberg were drafted...), it seems that he's developing into a gritty scoring winger. He's also eligible to go to Rochester next season, rather than in 2016 (as a draft pick from the CHL would be). I like this move. Whenever that class of 2015 is ready to play, they're going to need some experienced players to play with, and I think Fasching, like Girgensons, will be one of them.

Goalies and European players before 2003 (rise of the true internet and youtube) don't count. The only late round pick who has truely hit is Jamie Benn

Doesn't matter. Have you seen him play, do you know anything about him? Asking because I don't.

No I don't - hence the asking people to explain it. I am saying on paper this just seems like a lot for a guy who was available for free last year and was deemed career minor leaguer just 10 months ago could now be traded for a stanely cup winnng first and a second

It just seems like a waste. We are meant to have the best scouting department but didn't spot him. GMTM is meant to be a good talent evaluator but didn't spot him. How much can really change in 10 months? He is a forward - the easiest position to draft. Not comparable to goalies

You realize there are sleepers and late round gems each draft. Every gm ever has missed all stars who got drafted late....

If there was a redraft fasching would go late 1st or early 2nd. That's why we traded two 2nds for him

Oh well not everyone will like the trade. The sabres have an abundance of picks and used some to get a really nice prospect

Edited by Numark

You realize there are sleepers and late round gems each draft. Every gm ever has missed all stars who got drafted late....

If there was a redraft fasching would go late 1st or early 2nd. That's why we traded two 2nds for him

Oh well not everyone will like the trade. The sabres have an abundance of picks and used some to get a really nice prospect

It was 10 months ago!!!

I get it that picks can be good in later rounds, but in the modern NHL how many truely good players have been hit on past the third round? Also how much can he improve in 10 months. We are talking about going from a lower 2nd liner on his team to the team star in 10 months

Exactly what Murray said he wanted to is get prospects who are one or two years into their development. More to come I'm hoping.

Good call. He turned 2 picks, plus a prospect who didn't seem to be working out, into 2 prospects that are further into their development -- and one of them looks like a pretty nice prospect in a position of need.

TM has said that he has guys ranked, and knows who and what he values. fine. it's apparent that the gopher RW (fasching) is the main piece in this deal. TM likes him. that's enough for me. for now.

Me too. And I appreciate your putting TM on notice that we're watching him.

Mcnabb is someone who can't crack a lineup with Scott starting at D. While mcnabb's time should be now, he is still in the AHL. He is 23 and fell behind ristolainen, pysyk, zadorov, and McCabe. He projected to to be a 3rd pairing. We got two very nice winger prospects who can score (our position of need)

We had to throw in draft picks because we got the better prospects.

Fasching>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mcnabb

This is where I am on McNabb as well. We all wanted him to be good but 3 NHL coaches have taken a look at this point and sent him back down. He might develop into an NHL player but there is a very good likelihood that he does not.

We do need to see where the rest of the day goes because this one does seem a bit odd right now.

I agree that it's odd, although probably more from the Kings' perspective than from the Sabres'. It does seem more like a draft-day deal. Not a big deal either way though I think.

This is how you use assets. You identify players that can help you down the road and you make the deal.

I'm all about it. Be decisive. You don't have to "win" the trade. Your goal is to get enough players on a team to reach critical mass in effort/character/skill when it comes time to win those last 16 games. If you have to "overpay" to get there in individual deals....who cares. That's why I wouldn't hesitate giving a guy like Callahan an extra million per year.

Both of these.

You are hardly the only one saying this, but this reflects the whole "winning the trade deadline" mentality that really doesn't get us anywhere. If the Sabres got the best prospect, what does it matter where he was drafted?

Good info.

Speaking of which -- does anyone know whether Deslaurier needs to clear waivers next year to get sent down to the AHL? McNabb does need to clear waivers, which I think was a factor in TM's decision to trade him -- i.e. he didn't project to stay with the Sabres, and in sending them down, they probably would've lost him for nothing as he probably would've been picked up on waivers.

It was 10 months ago!!!

I get it that picks can be good in later rounds, but in the modern NHL how many truely good players have been hit on past the third round? Also how much can he improve in 10 months. We are talking about going from a lower 2nd liner on his team to the team star in 10 months

Being a ppg player as a power forward as a freshman at the UMN is kinda a big deal. I know it was only 10 months ago, but that's enough for someone to play in their first NCAA season. Baptiste, compber, and Ullmark are all players who wouldn't get drafted where they did last year either.

It was 10 months ago!!!

Yes, and certainly not worth giving up picks as well. Especially not two of them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.