Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

NBC's ice dancing color commentator might be the most annoying person who ever lived.

The woman commentator just comes off as a presumptuous prick. She's unfairly critical to non-American contestants, and she's doing this over the music and their performance. NBC's broadcasting has been shameful in some aspects, as we should not be surprised.

The woman commentator just comes off as a presumptuous prick. She's unfairly critical to non-American contestants, and she's doing this over the music and their performance. NBC's broadcasting has been shameful in some aspects, as we should not be surprised.

Tara Lipinsky? I wonder why lol

What's her deal--i.e., why would she be presumptuous or biased against US skaters, etc.?

Maybe to ensure she doesn't sound biased towards them? Only thing I can think of.

On a side note, does anyone know figure skaters? Their world seems weird and a little too ice princessy for me.

What's her deal--i.e., why would she be presumptuous or biased against US skaters, etc.?

I thought he was saying she was being a prick to the non-usa skaters. I don't know why she would have an issue with USA skaters. I honestly watched the first couple of days of figure skating, and now have become bored with it, so I've stopped watching it.

EDIT: But if she was being a prick towards non-US skaters, I would think it would be product of her being a former Gold medalist for Team USA

Edited by dEnnis the Menace

Maybe to ensure she doesn't sound biased towards them? Only thing I can think of.

On a side note, does anyone know figure skaters? Their world seems weird and a little too ice princessy for me.

Only some rec-level folks. Normal couple, engineer types. My guess is you get a higher representation of princesses, but there's bound to be a few that are chill people.

I think my main problem is every 4 years some network exec decides that Olympic prime time coverage needs to cater to a female demographic and hence the network decides to show hour after hour of figure skating coverage. All sorts of awesome sports that could get some coverage but we get skating night after night for almost two full weeks. Brutal.

I think my main problem is every 4 years some network exec decides that Olympic prime time coverage needs to cater to a female demographic and hence the network decides to show hour after hour of figure skating coverage. All sorts of awesome sports that could get some coverage but we get skating night after night for almost two full weeks. Brutal.

It isn't the network exec that decides it. It's the advertisers that decide it for him. Like it or not skating, like gymnastics, generates the highest ratings via the large female audience those events generate.

GO BILLS!!!

Damn, it really sounds like like Canadian Olympic coverage kicks NBC's ass.

We get pretty much every Canadian-interest event live when it happens on CBC, with TSN picking up the overlap.

Then we get replays and live coverage of lesser events during the down times, and in-depth highlights in prime time. It's pretty much Olympics around the clock.

That's not to mention the live streaming of everything on the CBC website.

Damn, it really sounds like like Canadian Olympic coverage kicks NBC's ass.

We get pretty much every Canadian-interest event live when it happens on CBC, with TSN picking up the overlap.

Then we get replays and live coverage of lesser events during the down times, and in-depth highlights in prime time. It's pretty much Olympics around the clock.

That's not to mention the live streaming of everything on the CBC website.

Yep, that sounds like it 100% kicks NBC's ass. On broadcast, we get the nightly "random assortment of sports in between watching figure skating" and I think some overnight stuff live (midnight to 5). You'd think they'd at least put stuff on all-day on the weekends, but it's just regular programming. And the streaming on the web requires that you sign in with your cable-provider account. I guess that's what you do when you're owned by a cable company. ###### Comcast.

Yep, that sounds like it 100% kicks NBC's ass. On broadcast, we get the nightly "random assortment of sports in between watching figure skating" and I think some overnight stuff live (midnight to 5). You'd think they'd at least put stuff on all-day on the weekends, but it's just regular programming. And the streaming on the web requires that you sign in with your cable-provider account. I guess that's what you do when you're owned by a cable company. ###### Comcast.

CBC is Canadian Government owned (Basically), so that may work to our (Canadians) advantage since our taxes are paying for it, Damit! Edited by apuszczalowski

It isn't the network exec that decides it. It's the advertisers that decide it for him. Like it or not skating, like gymnastics, generates the highest ratings via the large female audience those events generate.

GO BILLS!!!

...speaking of advertising, anyone else noticing how overly dramatic most of the commercials are?

I'm glad it's not just me. This is not a commentary on figure skating as a sport or non-sport (I have no interest in that debate being re-ignited), but holy crap it seems like it's all that's on this year. I personally just don't enjoy watching it, and every time I sit down to watch the Olympics it feels like it's all I ever see. It could just be bad luck or a skewed perception since I don't care for it, but it really seems to be getting a ton more prime time coverage than it had four years ago.

I'm glad it's not just me. This is not a commentary on figure skating as a sport or non-sport (I have no interest in that debate being re-ignited), but holy crap it seems like it's all that's on this year. I personally just don't enjoy watching it, and every time I sit down to watch the Olympics it feels like it's all I ever see. It could just be bad luck or a skewed perception since I don't care for it, but it really seems to be getting a ton more prime time coverage than it had four years ago.

That was definitely the case last night. I tuned in somewhere around 9:30 or 10pm and it was the ice dancing in its entirety with a tiny bit of ski jumping inbetween. Crazy that they don't even show highlights from the hockey games (or any other competitions held that day).

I think the hockey has been isolated to NBCSN on purpose, in order to drive ratings on that network.

In some fairness, there's been a lot of medal games on the primetime NBC feeds, and the medal games for hockey really, really must be on NBC. Is it fair to air preliminary round hockey instead of medal round of combination ski jump biathlon(I just invented that)? Who knows.

BgxUYULIUAADkDG.jpg

That's pretty sweet. I know countries want to show off their modern engineering marvels in stadium technology, especially since they'll use those stadiums long term for future events, but it'd be sweet to have a throw-back winter olympics with outdoor hockey and curling like that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.