Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

Japan got screwed. Who wants to tell me figure skating isn't a sport because it's judged when a goal as obvious as the one Japan scored gets disallowed? Woof.

Hockey is a game, not a "sport" by my strict definition. Personally, I wouldn't have hockey, or any team games (as opposed to relay races or something similar), as Olympic sports since the outcome isn't determined by raw measurement. But that's just my preference; I will watch the Olympic hockey if I happen to see it on NBC (without cable, I have a pretty limited selection of stuff to watch and I don't think I'll bother with streaming)

curling is a fine sports to observe http://sports.yahoo.com/news/anna-sidorova-now-wants-to-turn-heads-with-her-curling-132937978.html

and what on earth is with U.S team giving up a seven in one end a Olympic record. Given each team throws eight stones each they achieved the next to impossible .

Shuster is the worst skip ever.

Shuster is the worst skip ever.

i did not see this but heard guys on radio. Suppose the young ladies can get flustered they were playing the world champions arguably the best team. Not something I like to see frankly, competitors being embarrassed in what is a life time experience. Hopefully they will regroup and do better.

what I am finding interesting about Olympics is the number of athletes who have coaches from other countries, nations coaching them, training them. See a Canadian speed skater with a Chinese coach, a Chinese skater with a Canadian coach couple of such examples. Competition seems a world event of athletes using the attributes of entire world as opposed to having a singular individual national one.

Shaun White's reign is over. He came in at 4th place in the half pipe, pushed out of contention by two Japanese athletes and gold going to a Swiss contender.

Now watching women's ski jump So happy to see it. Watch the doc Ready To Fly on Netflix if you're so inclined- it focuses on Lindsey Van and the American would-be team's efforts to have a women's team. First year for it, in Sochi. Awesome.

Edited by Josie914

Question posed on Canadian radio discussion. Would you be alright with a player on your favorite team got injured but it resulted in Olympic team winning a gold medal , would you be ok with that.? Supposing for discussion sake Sabres were a team heading for playoffs with a shot, Miller got injured but his play resulted in a team U.S gold medal, would you be while greatly disappointed with injury obviously, in big picture be more elated at a U.S gold medal, the Sabres season taking a back seat for this?

Question posed on Canadian radio discussion. Would you be alright with a player on your favorite team got injured but it resulted in Olympic team winning a gold medal , would you be ok with that.? Supposing for discussion sake Sabres were a team heading for playoffs with a shot, Miller got injured but his play resulted in a team U.S gold medal, would you be while greatly disappointed with injury obviously, in big picture be more elated at a U.S gold medal, the Sabres season taking a back seat for this?

In Miller's case, no, because of his trade/contract status. But if it was another player I'd be OK with it. I suppose my answer might change if the Sabres were relevant this year, or in in hindsight the team was favored for the cup but spiralled due to the lost player.

In all honesty, I'd be more elated to win $10 on a scratch-off lotto ticket than for the US to win a gold medal. If I grew up in Canada or Europe, maybe I would be more enthused. I will root for the US, but I don't need to see Girgensons blow out a knee taking out Crosby for the tournament so the US has a better chance.

In all honesty, I'd be more elated to win $10 on a scratch-off lotto ticket than for the US to win a gold medal. If I grew up in Canada or Europe, maybe I would be more enthused. I will root for the US, but I don't need to see Girgensons blow out a knee taking out Crosby for the tournament so the US has a better chance.

in Canadian radio discussion hosts saying Canadians generally would be more enthused it Canada won Gold medal. Personally I would not trade a Leaf Stanley cup or a Sabre one for that matter. No doubt these Olympics will shape upcoming NHL playoffs, for some to the negative, that sucks in my opinion.

in Canadian radio discussion hosts saying Canadians generally would be more enthused it Canada won Gold medal. Personally I would not trade a Leaf Stanley cup or a Sabre one for that matter. No doubt these Olympics will shape upcoming NHL playoffs, for some to the negative, that sucks in my opinion.

Other than 1980, it doesn't matter. That was special because it was a bunch of underdog kids going against well-oiled professionals against the backdrop of a potential nuclear war, clash of core ideals, and hosting in your home country. That's a once in forever scenario and pretty neat.

I'd take a Bills win opening day versus Cleveland if it meant the US not getting a medal. Heck, if the Sabres were relevant, I'd take a 3 game win streak.

Canada only says that because they know Canadian teams aren't going to win the Cup anymore.

I agree. I'd rather see the Sabres win the cup than see Canada win the gold medal. Gods honest truth. I consider myself patriotic and a proud Canuck but truthfully I'd get a bigger boost out of seeing my team finally lift the Stanley cup. I've waited most of my life. When Canada won the gold in Vancouver I remember feeling torn because as a fan of the Sabres and Miller I was upset that he let that goal in yet I was happy we had won.

Ok. I officially don't get why there's two-man luge. Putting aside the funny stuff, I just don't understand why it exists. The luge is a one-person sled. If you make it bigger, sure, you can fit two people on it, but WHY? There aren't tandem bicycle races in the summer games. There is no two-woman equestrian event. This seems, to me, to be the only event where the team is artificially a tandem. Is it to allow not-so-good lugers (lugists?) an opportunity to participate or something?

Ok. I officially don't get why there's two-man luge. Putting aside the funny stuff, I just don't understand why it exists. The luge is a one-person sled. If you make it bigger, sure, you can fit two people on it, but WHY? There aren't tandem bicycle races in the summer games. There is no two-woman equestrian event. This seems, to me, to be the only event where the team is artificially a tandem. Is it to allow not-so-good lugers (lugists?) an opportunity to participate or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=effb2JYiKXM

I always figured it was so that they could go faster than the single man luge.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.