Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

What everyone seems to have forgotten in all of this talk about the women showing emotion after the game and into the medal ceremony is that this is it for the women. They have no Stanley cup to aspire to. The Gold medal is their Stanley cup. Silver or bronze is a loss. Woman can be tough as nails but they can also be vulnerable and emotional in ways men might not understand. There's no shame in crying. The U.S. women have nothing to be ashamed about.

Terrific point.

Agreed. Imagine only being able to attempt to achieve the highest honor in your sport only every four years, and not meeting your own expectations.

Those women played hard, and they should be proud of their accomplishments and sportsmanship.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

And I'm sure that had they pulled themselves together, some astute writer somewhere would have criticized them for not caring enough. This loss will haunt them the rest of their lives. There is no way I would ever judge them on how they acted 15 minutes after it happened. That's more childish and self indulgent to me.

Doubtlessly. This would have happened. Some paper was going to go after those young women no matter what. If they had been grinning, it would be about how they were so happy to only receive silver.

Edited by Eleven

Interesting idea - you're probably right. Until now I literally hadn't thought about the lack of true winner takes all style events in British sport. Weird. I have no problem with males or females crying after a heartbreaking loss. And I am sure they do do it. However, I think that whilst you might be completely devastated, I don't see anything wrong with putting on a brave face for a few moments to represent your country with pride and honour. And as I said, I also feel when you don't put 100% effort into something, it is somewhat childish to then be distraught if it doesn't go your way.

I have no horse in the race and as a general rule I usually want the underdog to win a game, or if I support a particular player then I want that team to win. For example, I wanted Latvia over Canada because underdog but wanted Canada over USA because Miller wasn't playing (and I thought he should) and because Toews is one of my favourite players.

The medals are awarded 10-15 minutes after the game, if not more. I am not saying they have time to completely bounce back and move in in life. But they have enough time for the initial shock and immediate emotions to wear off and to get themselves into a state worthy of representing your country. Nor I am i suggesting they should be grinning when they get the medals. But I think they should look respectful, look the medal giver in the eye, say thank you and salute the crowd (and their home nation). Sobbing and staring at the ground whilst you receive your medal because you ###### up in the biggest game is just a little immature

Again, I understand why they did it. But I think someone (e.g. the captain) should have rallied them into a team for one last moment

I disagree with this sentiment. I watched my sister's DII soccer team play in the National tournament this past year. They forgot to show up for the first 10 minutes or so, allowed a goal on like the first shot, and then had to play their ###### off for the rest of the game. They lost 2-1 in OT.

10-15 minutes after a game is not enough time to compose one's self. The initial loss adrenaline from the game and the realization that it's over is just kicking in about 10 - 15 minutes after the game is over. There wasn't a single dry eye on their side of the field as they were being handed the second place "medal". It's devastating, and frankly, I think it's perfectly ok to show your emotion after you just lost the single most important game of possibly your entire career. For 3 of those girls on my sister's team, that was the last competitive soccer game they will EVER play.

I'm not saying ball your eyes out and make a seen, but to shed some tears, hell I have no problem with it.

I do agree that they only played 55mins and should not have celebrated, but still.

Or if it was more like the roller derby of the seventies that I so fondly remember. There's something about woman skating around an oval and elbowing each other into oblivion.

I'm not sure how widespread it is, but there are a bunch of Roller derby events around Philly and Binghamton NY, at least. And Buffalo. http://www.qcrg.net/

I'm not sure how widespread it is, but there are a bunch of Roller derby events around Philly and Binghamton NY, at least. And Buffalo. http://www.qcrg.net/

Making Speed skating more like Roller derby would definitly liven up the sport

I've also thought about changing Biathalon participants to be able to shoot at other participants during the cross country skiing part and adding jumps to the Bobsled/luge/skeleton tracks

Its 2014, time to make the olympics more XTREME!

Rochester has a very strong Roller Derby club as well: http://www.rocderby.com/

Roller derby is everywhere right now, it's affordable to watch, and it's a good time.

I don't know, I watched team Sweden look downright devastated on the podium after losing to Canada. Lots of staring at feet, very few smiles, not a lot of eye contact with the medal presenters. I remember some chapter in a psych book back in college that used medaling in the Olympics as an example of how you process happiness with effort and outcome. Bronze medalists are happier than silver medalists. They're thrilled to have made the podium. Silver is just so close to gold that it feels like failure, combined with the guilt of feeling bad when someone who did worse than you (bronze) appears so much more grateful.

And for the women, many people have touched on how it was basically US v Can and the rest of the world battles for bronze. There was no way either of those teams would earn anything less than silver, barring a major upset. So for them, it was do or die, this is it, 4 years until people will care about our sport/see us in the spotlight again. And such a way to go. I'd be more likely to be sobbing well after the event than directly- as it really begins to hit home what just happened. They cry, get it out of their systems, buck up, and suit up for the next 4 years. That silver medal was a badge of failure to many of those women, despite being the Silver Medal. I think if the men's tourney had been the same level of competition (two teams to speak of, the rest much worse), there'd be some teary eyed silver medalists. Kane was half crying the whole US- Finland game, before they were even losing. But we understand for him- no gold or silver, go ahead and cry, Kane. Women crying? Ungrateful ######.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish not handicapped people could play sled hockey. It looks like an awesome workout.

Why not? I was thinking the same thing watching it. It's a perfect aggressive outlet. Great workout, you get the hockey culture, and you can take out your road rage with an actual collision. These guys took their hockey SERIOUSLY the other day. Someone touched the Russian goalie and three guys grabbed him, facewashed him and tipped him. I have nothing but respect for not only being out there, but how those guys respect the old school way.

Maybe some rink can invest in a set of sleds. Charge everyone an extra $10 for ice time and donate something to the Wounded Warriors, USA program, etc. I'd get their blessing first, and you'd have a publicity-fest in starting it up.

Why not? I was thinking the same thing watching it. It's a perfect aggressive outlet. Great workout, you get the hockey culture, and you can take out your road rage with an actual collision. These guys took their hockey SERIOUSLY the other day. Someone touched the Russian goalie and three guys grabbed him, facewashed him and tipped him. I have nothing but respect for not only being out there, but how those guys respect the old school way.

Maybe some rink can invest in a set of sleds. Charge everyone an extra $10 for ice time and donate something to the Wounded Warriors, USA program, etc. I'd get their blessing first, and you'd have a publicity-fest in starting it up.

I have been on ice after a sled hockey game, the ice is horrible and gets chewed up badly from the sticks/spikes they use to pull themselves around with.

I wish not handicapped people could play sled hockey. It looks like an awesome workout.

A guy I work with has a son thats paralyzed and plays wheel chair basketball in a league. The father and a couple of his brothers play as well. Each team is allowed to carry a certain amount of able bodied people since there really isn't an unfair advantage for the able bodied. Maybe at the grass league level similar rules apply for sled hockey ?

A guy I work with has a son thats paralyzed and plays wheel chair basketball in a league. The father and a couple of his brothers play as well. Each team is allowed to carry a certain amount of able bodied people since there really isn't an unfair advantage for the able bodied. Maybe at the grass league level similar rules apply for sled hockey ?

It'd be nice to drop in for a little sled hockey, ya know? These guys must get very little icetime where they aren't practicing with team mates or in tournaments. There aught to be recreational sled hockey for anyone who wants to pay the money. I think it'd be a hit.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.