Winter Olympics general discussion

darksabre

Can't believe the Swedish Skip channeled her inner American on that last rock of the 9th end. Personally, I think the fix was in for the 'Nucks across the board. ;)

Canadian men up 8 - 3 in eighth end and looking good for Gold. Team from Scotland just did not have it today. It was a off day for them they have been world champions.

Edited by millbank

Canadian men up 8 - 3 in eighth end and looking good for Gold. Team from Scotland just did not have it today. It was a off day for them they have been world champions.

Both Canadian squads really brought their A (or should I say, 'eh' ;) ) games this year. Good for them.

Didn't get to see the men's gold medal match, but they were on in the matches I did see.

Two people commented in paper about how it was a disgrace the women cried on the podium rather than celebrate their silver - calling it petulant and not the character of a true competitor. Someone thinks the letters are harsh, whilst JJ thinks they are great

Finishing in second place is tougher than finishing third. I have no problem with competitors losing it when they don't win. I've seen countless World Series runners-up cover their faces with towels, too.

Finishing in second place is tougher than finishing third. I have no problem with competitors losing it when they don't win. I've seen countless World Series runners-up cover their faces with towels, too.

I think it depends. I appreciate it is heartbreaking, but I also think there is a time to be humble and pay respects to the winning team and also your country. The men didn't cry on the podium 4 years ago - and that is part of the problem. I think, although it is a double standard, having 20 women cry at the medal ceremony just seems quite 'weak' (for lack of a better word), like the women can't handle their emotions etc. Not to mention, the medal ceremony is not straight after the game. You have a few moments to collect yourself. How many minutes should a team of adults be allowed to sob before it becomes a bit self-indulgent.

I also think there is the issue that the women were celebrating on the bench with a few mins to go. That is why it was so heartbreaking for them. They had written it up as a win for it to be snatched away. Their captain and coach should have focused them. They learnt a hard lesson about playing till the end. In this situation the women were crying but they didn't give it their all, the played a 55 minute game. So I think it also comes across as mixed messages - if the game meant that much to you don't celebrate until it is over.

Edited by ThirtyEight

I understand they were heartbroken to lose a game like that. I understand that athletes should be upset when they lose. I've been involved in some sort of competitive sport since I was five, it sucks losing. I get pissed when I lose, I get pissed at myself when I do something wrong. But when you're in the global spotlight, representing your country, you suck it up and at least act like you're honored to be in that position to begin with. The men were no different four years ago. I'm not going to get into what I think about American society and what we've done to pussify this nation, but our American hockey teams represented this country perfectly.

I think it depends. I appreciate it is heartbreaking, but I also think there is a time to be humble and pay respects to the winning team and also your country. The men didn't cry on the podium 4 years ago - and that is part of the problem. I think, although it is a double standard, having 20 women cry at the medal ceremony just seems quite 'weak' (for lack of a better word), like the women can't handle their emotions etc. Not to mention, the medal ceremony is not straight after the game. You have a few moments to collect yourself. How many minutes should a team of adults be allowed to sob before it becomes a bit self-indulgent.

I also think there is the issue that the women were celebrating on the bench with a few mins to go. That is why it was so heartbreaking for them. They had written it up as a win for it to be snatched away. Their captain and coach should have focused them. They learnt a hard lesson about playing till the end. In this situation the women were crying but they didn't give it their all, the played a 55 minute game. So I think it also comes across as mixed messages - if the game meant that much to you don't celebrate until it is over.

I know you don't have domestic playoffs over there, and things like the FA Cup aren't as prestigious as winning the Premier League, so you probably rarely get to see teams play a true championship game in domestic competition, but I assure you that some of the men here cry. They just cover their faces with towels or sunglasses.

Your point about having time to compose oneself is well taken as is the point about playing 55 minutes.

Spoken like someone who was rooting for the winning team. Gimme a break. The medals were awarded on the same ice directly after the game. If it was a day later you would have a point.

I know you don't have domestic playoffs over there, and things like the FA Cup aren't as prestigious as winning the Premier League, so you probably rarely get to see teams play a true championship game in domestic competition, but I assure you that some of the men here cry. They just cover their faces with towels or sunglasses.

Your point about having time to compose oneself is well taken as is the point about playing 55 minutes.

I've got no problem with crying, especially with the women. I've got a problem with the attitude. Some of the women couldn't even smile at the person hanging the medal around their necks. I do recall (I'm not very familiar with the women's team) one girl towards the end of the medals presentation, she looked devastated, but also grinning from ear to ear. Most of her teammates weren't like that. I have a problem with the way the men played today. It was obviouos from the first puck drop that they were running for the bus. It was an embarrassment, the men's team should be ashamed. Then there were the speed skaters that were blaming Under Armor for their losses when it was obvious they just weren't that good. To me it's just the typical arrogant American attitudes. These kids/young adults were raised in this new t-ball society where it's OK to lose but are taught to think they're the best. That arrogance carries over to an event like the Olympics where these athletes think they're the best, but when reality sets in and the realize they aren't as good as they were lead to believe then they can't deal with it.

The rest of the world is laughing at us today because of our men's team. Great job boys, come home and get your cookies.

Interesting idea - you're probably right. Until now I literally hadn't thought about the lack of true winner takes all style events in British sport. Weird. I have no problem with males or females crying after a heartbreaking loss. And I am sure they do do it. However, I think that whilst you might be completely devastated, I don't see anything wrong with putting on a brave face for a few moments to represent your country with pride and honour. And as I said, I also feel when you don't put 100% effort into something, it is somewhat childish to then be distraught if it doesn't go your way.

Spoken like someone who was rooting for the winning team. Gimme a break. The medals were awarded on the same ice directly after the game. If it was a day later you would have a point.

I have no horse in the race and as a general rule I usually want the underdog to win a game, or if I support a particular player then I want that team to win. For example, I wanted Latvia over Canada because underdog but wanted Canada over USA because Miller wasn't playing (and I thought he should) and because Toews is one of my favourite players.

The medals are awarded 10-15 minutes after the game, if not more. I am not saying they have time to completely bounce back and move in in life. But they have enough time for the initial shock and immediate emotions to wear off and to get themselves into a state worthy of representing your country. Nor I am i suggesting they should be grinning when they get the medals. But I think they should look respectful, look the medal giver in the eye, say thank you and salute the crowd (and their home nation). Sobbing and staring at the ground whilst you receive your medal because you ###### up in the biggest game is just a little immature

Again, I understand why they did it. But I think someone (e.g. the captain) should have rallied them into a team for one last moment

Interesting idea - you're probably right. Until now I literally hadn't thought about the lack of true winner takes all style events in British sport. Weird. I have no problem with males or females crying after a heartbreaking loss. And I am sure they do do it. However, I think that whilst you might be completely devastated, I don't see anything wrong with putting on a brave face for a few moments to represent your country with pride and honour. And as I said, I also feel when you don't put 100% effort into something, it is somewhat childish to then be distraught if it doesn't go your way.

I have no horse in the race and as a general rule I usually want the underdog to win a game, or if I support a particular player then I want that team to win. For example, I wanted Latvia over Canada because underdog but wanted Canada over USA because Miller wasn't playing (and I thought he should) and because Toews is one of my favourite players.

The medals are awarded 10-15 minutes after the game, if not more. I am not saying they have time to completely bounce back and move in in life. But they have enough time for the initial shock and immediate emotions to wear off and to get themselves into a state worthy of representing your country. Nor I am i suggesting they should be grinning when they get the medals. But I think they should look respectful, look the medal giver in the eye, say thank you and salute the crowd (and their home nation). Sobbing and staring at the ground whilst you receive your medal because you ###### up in the biggest game is just a little immature

Again, I understand why they did it. But I think someone (e.g. the captain) should have rallied them into a team for one last moment

And I'm sure that had they pulled themselves together, some astute writer somewhere would have criticized them for not caring enough. This loss will haunt them the rest of their lives. There is no way I would ever judge them on how they acted 15 minutes after it happened. That's more childish and self indulgent to me.

What everyone seems to have forgotten in all of this talk about the women showing emotion after the game and into the medal ceremony is that this is it for the women. They have no Stanley cup to aspire to. The Gold medal is their Stanley cup. Silver or bronze is a loss. Woman can be tough as nails but they can also be vulnerable and emotional in ways men might not understand. There's no shame in crying. The U.S. women have nothing to be ashamed about.

On a side note I think their coach should have called a time out when it started to go south to settle things down. Her bad.

What everyone seems to have forgotten in all of this talk about the women showing emotion after the game and into the medal ceremony is that this is it for the women. They have no Stanley cup to aspire to. The Gold medal is their Stanley cup. Silver or bronze is a loss. Woman can be tough as nails but they can also be vulnerable and emotional in ways men might not understand. There's no shame in crying. The U.S. women have nothing to be ashamed about.

Terrific point.

The Americans had dedicated the past four years of their lives to winning gold.

They were a minute away from winning it. They lost in the most demoralizing manner possible.

None of them was rude or disrespectful to the presentation. They have nothing to be ashamed of.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.