• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

No. He provides what Drury provided. He is exactly the kind of guy you want on a team full of (hopefully) talented kids.

It's not all about the stats.

This exactly. And Pat, Tim, and Ted have all talked about providing the right environment for the kids to learn in.

Overpaying for Callahan is infinitely better than keeping Stafford and Leino to make it to the cap floor.

Right now, this is what are forwards look like for next year:

Stafford Hodgson Leino

Girgensons Ennis Flynn

Larsson Grigorenko Foligno

Kaleta Varone Ellis

Edited by dudacek

I guess I disagree with what he can bring to the table both statistically and mentally. 7million per for 7years for Callahan just doesn't make sense even for us.

You saw what happened to the Sabres after Black Sunday, yes?

Would it have been worth letting TC and Max go in order to keep Drury (that's at his UFA cost -- never mind the way TG/LQ butchered the opportunity to keep him for much less)?

Remember that UFAs always cost too much. But if you're going to spend on a UFA, it's better to spend $7MM on a guy who "should" be worth $4.5MM than it is to spend $4.5MM on a guy who is worth $1MM (like Darcy did repeatedly).

If Callahan is such an incredible leader, and leadership is so important, then why are the Rangers so decidedly average? And I also don't think he helps make Buffalo a a place players want to come, because I don't think UFAs sit at home thinking how much they'd like to play with Callahan one day. He's not Crosby...or even Eric Staal, really.

This exactly. And Pat, Tim, and Ted have all talked about providing the right environment for the kids to learn in.

Overpaying for Callahan is infinitely better than keeping Stafford and Leino to make it to the cap floor.

Right now, this is what are forwards look like for next year:

Leino Hodgson Stafford

Girgensons Ennis Flynn

Larsson Grigorenko Foligno

Kaleta Larsson Ellis

Eeeeessshhh.

BTW, I don't think there is any way that Griggy is in Buffalo next year.

Also, I know Larsson is versatile, but can he handle playing on 2 lines at once? (heh.)

If Callahan is such an incredible leader, and leadership is so important, then why are the Rangers so decidedly average? And I also don't think he helps make Buffalo a a place players want to come, because I don't think UFAs sit at home thinking how much they'd like to play with Callahan one day. He's not Crosby...or even Eric Staal, really.

maybe they can't afford to obtain any of the leagues top talent?

What Freeman said.

Buffalo has to sign players - not just because we're terrible, but because we have to reach the floor.

Better off overpaying for Callahan and other legitimate top six players than for two or three Drew Staffords.

We have to have some good players.

Eeeeessshhh.

BTW, I don't think there is any way that Griggy is in Buffalo next year.

Also, I know Larsson is versatile, but can he handle playing on 2 lines at once? (heh.)

(With a red face) ummm, that should be Varone.

I guess I disagree with what he can bring to the table both statistically and mentally. 7million per for 7years for Callahan just doesn't make sense even for us.

I agree. That is elite scorer money and Callahan certainly isn't that. He is a very good player, but I have to wonder why the Rangers will let him walk if he is so valuable...

I think it is safe to say Ville will be bought out at the end of the year and I'm hoping Miller and Moulson bring back a couple of young forwards to add to the mix next year.

It's an absurd amount of money for a 3rd line winger to provide leadership. A contract like that will kill us down the road if we become a contender and have a 34 winger who is a checking line player make $7M and you need to add a piece.

We can get quality veteran leadership without significantly overpaying for a deteriorating player

I agree. That is elite scorer money and Callahan certainly isn't that.

He's not. But the Sabres are going to have to overpay for anyone, and they are in a cap position where overpaying doesn't hurt them long-term.

Edited by dudacek

I agree. That is elite scorer money and Callahan certainly isn't that. He is a very good player, but I have to wonder why the Rangers will let him walk if he is so valuable...

I think it is safe to say Ville will be bought out at the end of the year and I'm hoping Miller and Moulson bring back a couple of young forwards to add to the mix next year.

no it isnt. It was elite scoring money three years ago. Have you seen the number of guys making 7million a year? Honest if it is 7 for 7 it would be a deal. In three more years there are going to be like 100+ players making over 7 a year.

It's an absurd amount of money for a 3rd line winger to provide leadership. A contract like that will kill us down the road if we become a contender and have a 34 winger who is a checking line player make $7M and you need to add a piece.

We can get quality veteran leadership without significantly overpaying for a deteriorating player

A contract like that will be a bargain down the road. That is why he knows he is going to get it. there are nearly 50 players currently making over 6 million dollars a year. In three to four years the number of players making over 7 million dollars will be 100+

no it isnt. It was elite scoring money three years ago. Have you seen the number of guys making 7million a year? Honest if it is 7 for 7 it would be a deal. In three more years there are going to be like 100+ players making over 7 a year.

What? that's how much Malkin, Datsyuk etc are making. Stamkos is only making 8. Yet 7x7 is a deal for a checking line winger???

He's not. But the Sabres are going to have to overpay for anyone, and they are in a cap position where overpaying doesn't hurt them long-term.

At this moment maybe, if the deal is short term. But do you really think that in 3-5 years paying $7 mil to a guy thats hurt alot before reaching 30 isn't going to hurt them when they are trying to contend and have guys on rookie deals now looking for new deals?

At this moment maybe, if the deal is short term. But do you really think that in 3-5 years paying $7 mil to a guy thats hurt alot before reaching 30 isn't going to hurt them when they are trying to contend and have guys on rookie deals now looking for new deals?

it wont hurt them in the least! It will be an even better deal when the cap hits 100m. It is only going up. That deal will look like a steal in 2-3 years.

This deal we are talking is jordan staal money. Which is right where he belongs.

Edited by FolignosJock

If the cap stays static it will be a problem in the last couple years,but if it goes up as projected, not really.

Ehrhoff, Myers and Hodgson are locked up, Ennis and Foligno haven't earned big deals.

The kids are a minimum of five years away from being eligible for big money.

Edited by dudacek

it wont hurt them in the least! It will be an even better deal when the cap hits 100m. It is only going up. That deal will look like a steal in 2-3 years.

This deal we are talking is jordan staal money. Which is right where he belongs.

Staal plays center, more minutes, and kills penalties. He is a much better player and stays healthy.

To be fair, it was reported he is looking for $6 mil per.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/29/report-callahan-seeking-seven-year-42m-deal-girardi-eyeing-33m-over-six/

Edited by Derrico

Seeing as Malkin's extension kicks in next year and pays $9.5MM per, I don't think Stamkos would get 12 easy. You're clearly excited about Callahan, but let's try to stay a little grounded here :)

You dont think the best scoring winger in the NHL would get the max deal? What world do you live in? Parise got it.......

You hope/assume/Pray

No you analyze/predict/project......

I think there is a danger in "Dan Snyder Syndrome," which is falling in love with "big names" and overpaying for guys who are on the downside of their careers. A good GM (which I assume our new GM Dwight Schrute is) will figure out who is on the upside of their career and get those guys to Buffalo. An example from the past was when Muckler traded Mogilny for an unknown guy named Mike Peca. Turned out to be a pretty good trade in retrospect. If we can flip Moulson and/or Miller for some "up-and-comers" I'd be happy.

Edited by Potato

No he isnt. Callahan kills penalties as well. Also why are people making RC out to be TC. He isnt hurt that much so get over this year.....

No he doesnt really kill penalties. He's on the PK less than Stafford, Girgs, and Clarke freaking macarthur. He's 150th on PK time for all forwards in the NHL.