Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

2/6/14 - Tim Murray on TSN Radio: http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/186/19541/hr1-2.mp3 <18:21>

@BuffaloSabres

#Sabres GM Tim Murray addresses the media before tonight's game in Ottawa, addresses trade possibilites http://goo.gl/Njjtsp

Thank you for posting. After hearing him speak, the Tweet was definitely misleading. he didnt say the those four Dmen are his core. he was talking about the farm team and prospects that they have in the pipeline. and that he really liked their games, along with Girgs, and others. again another great interview. this guy is freakin great. i also liked the part discussing the type of players that he likes and how there are similarities between the types of players ted nolan likes. doesnt mean he likes nolans style of coaching, but liking a similar style of player has to be a thumbs up for nolan right?

Thank you for posting. After hearing him speak, the Tweet was definitely misleading. he didnt say the those four Dmen are his core. he was talking about the farm team and prospects that they have in the pipeline. and that he really liked their games, along with Girgs, and others. again another great interview. this guy is freakin great. i also liked the part discussing the type of players that he likes and how there are similarities between the types of players ted nolan likes. doesnt mean he likes nolans style of coaching, but liking a similar style of player has to be a thumbs up for nolan right?

"Speed and skill are fine, but I want a player that has Hockey Sense..... gives effort, is intelligent, and his intelligence makes up for what he may be lacking."

Or something to that effect. He loves Girgensons.

Bring me in Lazar, Timmy.....bring me in Lazar......

"Speed and skill are fine, but I want a player that has Hockey Sense..... gives effort, is intelligent, and his intelligence makes up for what he may be lacking."

Or something to that effect. He loves Girgensons.

Bring me in Lazar, Timmy.....bring me in Lazar......

Maybe the reason I'm starting to love Timmy is because he likes the same kinds of players that I do.

And yes please to Lazar. Wonder what that would take. Bryan Murray must know exactly what Time Murray thinks of him.

Whoa, context here. Maybe he was just talking about guys not currently on the roster.

That's definitely a possibility, and maybe it is what he was talking about, but besides Ehroff, who's older, what d-men besides Myers currently on the roster are really going to be part of the future? IMHOP, if he's going to refer to 4 minor league talents when talking about his future core d-men and leave out the only possible name on his current roster maybe it says he's willing to move Myers.

Edited by WildCard

Did I hear on the sabres broadcast that some reporter asked Murray if he felt he owned the Sens anything via a trade for giving him the chance to be the GM in Buffalo... Murray's response, No.

I should hope so. A good answer to a stupid question imo. I really like how candid Murray is. Its refreshing.

"Its not my job to help the Ottawa Senators" When asked if he knew about Ottawa's prospects best and how that would all work out. Discussed how he knows his Uncle and wants to see him succeed but he doesn't work for Ottawa anymore.

Wow listening to this interview makes me love Tim Murray... Guy is smart, blunt, and clearly motivated. Very smart when it comes to understanding players skill and value.

"What's the one thing you miss about Ottawa?"

..."Nothing"

"Its not my job to help the Ottawa Senators" When asked if he knew about Ottawa's prospects best and how that would all work out. Discussed how he knows his Uncle and wants to see him succeed but he doesn't work for Ottawa anymore.

Wow listening to this interview makes me love Tim Murray... Guy is smart, blunt, and clearly motivated. Very smart when it comes to understanding players skill and value.

..."Nothing"

That last statement was great.

Maybe the reason I'm starting to love Timmy is because he likes the same kinds of players that I do.

And yes please to Lazar. Wonder what that would take. Bryan Murray must know exactly what Time Murray thinks of him.

It would probably be a multiple piece deal. Maybe Moulson, Tallinder, 2nd for Lazar and another prospect...Buff could eat salary to help out Melnyk.

Another awesome thing was Murray saying (paraphrase), "I need to talk to these guys here (scouts) and figure out who was responsible for being in the last guy's (Darcy's) ear and telling them to do the stuff that got us in this mess.".....

I'd look for wholesale changes in the scouting department this summer....

It would probably be a multiple piece deal. Maybe Moulson, Tallinder, 2nd for Lazar and another prospect...Buff could eat salary to help out Melnyk.

Another awesome thing was Murray saying (paraphrase), "I need to talk to these guys here (scouts) and figure out who was responsible for being in the last guy's (Darcy's) ear and telling them to do the stuff that got us in this mess.".....

Yeah, I mentioned that on another thread. I liked the part where he said, if you have a guy rated different than I do, I want to know why.

Very direct. None of the Darcy pussyfooting around.

And remember Lafontaine had already brought Pendergast in to do the research.

As far as Lazar goes, I'd give Moulson and two seconds for him. It's probably an overpayment, but we've got so many picks and if it's the guy you want, sometimes you have to overpay.

I was higher on Horvat prior to the draft, but Lazar's stock really jumped for me in the WJCs.

I'm cool with that. Even Devine since other than getting wood over Zadorov has been part of this mess all along. I don't hate Devine by any means but there is most certainly a new Sheriff in town and Devines fingerprints are all over this team. Adios.

Edit:although to be fair I like Devine. And loved his comment about Zadorov. Do you want to get tougher to play against? I thought he would help in transition maybe his time has come.

Good luck o him if goes or stays.

Edited by beerme1

I'm betting against that. I think what Murray says seems to endorse what Devine sees with the Defensive picks.

I think Murray is just going to put the scouting department through "school" so to speak.

Yeah, I mentioned that on another thread. I liked the part where he said, if you have a guy rated different than I do, I want to know why.

Very direct. None of the Darcy pussyfooting around.

And remember Lafontaine had already brought Pendergast in to do the research.

As far as Lazar goes, I'd give Moulson and two seconds for him. It's probably an overpayment, but we've got so many picks and if it's the guy you want, sometimes you have to overpay.

I was higher on Horvat prior to the draft, but Lazar's stock really jumped for me in the WJCs.

I think Darcy would have been like "Well a scout had him ranked higher so we kind of talked about to see where the kid was... blah blah blah"

TM is just "Why do you think he is better, go." I honestly like this about him too.

As for the scouting department this summer, I would guess that a few guys in the professional scouting circle will get axed because that has been a very questionable area for Buffalo. The Amateur guys under Devine have done well IMPO since 2012 when the Scouting staff started to expand.

Also Tim Murray write up from the Buffalo news.

http://www.buffalone...freeze-20140207

“I know all these GMs, but I don’t have a circle of guys. I talked to Donnie Maloney today about that,” he said of the Phoenix general manager, “and he said you end up with certain guys you trust and those are the guys you probably deal with more so than others. I don’t have that right now, but I’m comfortable in the fact that I’ve been around the game a long time and I’ve been around these guys and I know them all.

“I don’t think they’re going to help me, but I don’t think that they feel that they can pull the wool over my eyes.”

Edited by LGR4GM

I'm going to join the chorus: TM's plain-spoken, direct, unvarnished talk is the best thing about the franchise right now. I also sorta love that he's super unsentimental (Q: "What do you miss about Ottawa?" A: "Nothing.") and appears to be a bit of an intense workaholic (sorry for his family, but yay! for the Sabres). As to the latter, my only concern is that he take care of himself through this process -- dude's in his 50s, keeps tough hours, and presumably eats and drinks too much crap.

no 57?

44 over 57? hmmm. i really dont want to give up on tyler. REEEEALLY do not want to

It was in a discussion. Perhaps in context, it's obvious 57 is "off limits" trade-wise, and he was listing the other young Dmen he sees as part of the core. I don't think Myers is going anywhere. (But if he did, we better end up with something BIG on offense.)

I wasn't sure what you were driving at.

The thread was totally off topic for a few pages there. My post before that was an attempt to get hockey talk going again. It came back after the pre-game interview.

IMHOP

In my head, that read as "In My House of Pancakes" :cry:

..."Nothing"

I see the Buffalo-Ottawa rivalry heating up in the near future, and that's not a bad thing.

I'm liking everything I'm hearing from TM so far just like everyone else, but everyone knows the honeymoon is over at the deadline. Half the posters here are going to hate the deals that get done, and there will be extra consternation over the deals that don't get done.

I just need to see some results. The team has been so disappointing since Game 7 vs Philly in 2011 -- 3 solid years of increasingly depressing hockey.

I believe the franchise has taken the right steps this spring, but I need next year's roster to include at least 3 fewer AHL journeymen. TM needs to make it happen.

I just need to see some results. The team has been so disappointing since Game 7 vs Philly in 2011 -- 3 solid years of increasingly depressing hockey.

I believe the franchise has taken the right steps this spring, but I need next year's roster to include at least 3 fewer AHL journeymen. TM needs to make it happen.

I'm surprised you're only going back that far. For me everything started falling apart in 2007. Losing to the Senators in 5 games was it. The dream was dead.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.