Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

Callahan (or someone similar) in free agency, Reinhart (or someone similar) with our first pick this year, Eichel (or someone similar) our first pick next year, Jaskin (or someone similar) from a Miller trade, Toffoli (or someone similar) from a Moulson trade, Girgensons, Grigorenko, Foligno, Hodgson, Ennis, Compher, Armia, or any of our other high picks from the teardown. Our depth and cap space puts us in a position to get an Eberle (or someone similar) in a big trade.

I'd doubt we'll see a good top six in two years, but even if we hit on 50 per cent of the above, our top six should be pretty damn solid in three or four. Murray has the assets to build something impressive, but it isn't going to happen overnight.

GMTM I'm thinking we should act now with Miller, Erhoff, Tallinder, Ennis, McNabb, and anyone else you can move sooner rather than later. We cant afford to see assets hurt that we can otherwise move. Ott and Moulson I'm guessing are staying so you best get going on the rest please.

GMTM I'm thinking we should act now with Miller, Erhoff, Tallinder, Ennis, McNabb, and anyone else you can move sooner rather than later. We cant afford to see assets hurt that we can otherwise move. Ott and Moulson I'm guessing are staying so you best get going on the rest please.

Our best assets for trades are Miller (the "elite" goalie that no one wants) and Moulson (probably seriously injured tonight based on how he reacted to that slash). F***ing amazing.

This is what happens when you inexplicably decide to stick with Regier last summer, then decide NOT to trade Miller and Vanek at the draft, and THEN decide to change course and spend a couple months without a GM.

But #Blueprint. Way to go, Terry. Might want to get a price estimate on a Pat LaFontaine statue because it's not like we have a lot to look forward to on the ice.

Our best assets for trades are Miller (the "elite" goalie that no one wants) and Moulson (probably seriously injured tonight based on how he reacted to that slash). F***ing amazing.

This is what happens when you inexplicably decide to stick with Regier last summer, then decide NOT to trade Miller and Vanek at the draft, and THEN decide to change course and spend a couple months without a GM.

But #Blueprint. Way to go, Terry. Might want to get a price estimate on a Pat LaFontaine statue because it's not like we have a lot to look forward to on the ice.

Something else going on man? Cause you always seem really pissed; if so feel free to vent, that's what anonymity on the internet is good for. No sense in getting this mad about something you can't change

I know they've ###### up, a lot, but there's nothing we can do about it but watch and hope it gets better. We've canned the guys responsible, replaced them with arguably the best possible staff, and now we just have to wait and see. Deadlines almost here, and the draft is just around the corner where we'll have our highest pick in decades. The Flames and Oilers continue to win, and the Isle's and Sabres have at least been losing lately; doesn't get much better than that. :beer:

Then again, a 12 pack really helps your optimism, so maybe it's jsut me

Edited by WildCard

I'm getting sick of hoping.

which is funny cause your one of the big supporters of 'The Tank", which is all based off of hope......

Which is completely false, Its not that no one wants him, its that no one wants to give up what the Sabres want for a rental for the next few months.

Something else going on man? Cause you always seem really pissed; if so feel free to vent, that's what anonymity on the internet is good for. No sense in getting this mad about something you can't change

I know they've ###### up, a lot, but there's nothing we can do about it but watch and hope it gets better. We've canned the guys responsible, replaced them with arguably the best possible staff, and now we just have to wait and see. Deadlines almost here, and the draft is just around the corner where we'll have our highest pick in decades. The Flames and Oilers continue to win, and the Isle's and Sabres have at least been losing lately; doesn't get much better than that. :beer:

Then again, a 12 pack really helps your optimism, so maybe it's jsut me

We're in Year 4 of the "suck, suck, suck, play better" seasons. There is zero entertainment value in this and I'm pretty sure next season will be more of the same.

On top of that, it's looking like we're not going to get a whole lot for these UFAs. So the Sabres have probably F'ed that up too. That'll help our rebuild. And this is after we apparently enacted a plan to bottom out ("suffering") that involved keeping Vanek/Moulson and Miller on the team as long as possible. Becasue that makes sense.

All we have to show for this season is two feel-good press conferences -- one for Patty and Teddy, and one for Murray and Patrick. That's it. Nothing good has actually happened yet.

The Sabres might be the most frustrating and incompetent team in North America right now. But they're still arrogant enough to trot out #Blueprint to start this year.

I'm ready for something good to start happening. Enough with the meaningless late-season wins that happen because other teams don't take us seriously and enough with holding onto UFAs as long as humanly possible.

Which is completely false, Its not that no one wants him, its that no one wants to give up what the Sabres want for a rental for the next few months.

Splitting hairs and, besides, we don't even know what the Sabres want. (Do the Sabres even know what they want?) All we know is the market is "lukewarm at best", which is not a roaring endorsement of our guy.

We're in Year 4 of the "suck, suck, suck, play better" seasons. There is zero entertainment value in this and I'm pretty sure next season will be more of the same.

On top of that, it's looking like we're not going to get a whole lot for these UFAs. So the Sabres have probably F'ed that up too. That'll help our rebuild. And this is after we apparently enacted a plan to bottom out ("suffering") that involved keeping Vanek/Moulson and Miller on the team as long as possible. Becasue that makes sense.

All we have to show for this season is two feel-good press conferences -- one for Patty and Teddy, and one for Murray and Patrick. That's it. Nothing good has actually happened yet.

The Sabres might be the most frustrating and incompetent team in North America right now. But they're still arrogant enough to trot out #Blueprint to start this year.

I'm ready for something good to start happening. Enough with the meaningless late-season wins that happen because other teams don't take us seriously and enough with holding onto UFAs as long as humanly possible.

Splitting hairs and, besides, we don't even know what the Sabres want. (Do the Sabres even know what they want?) All we know is the market is "lukewarm at best", which is not a roaring endorsement of our guy.

Wasn't it already reported what the Sabres said they wanted for Miller? Again, just because the Market is "lukewarm at best", that doesn't mean teams wouldn't want him, I'm sure that if he was put on waivers or was being given away for next to nothing the majority of the league would have claims in on him. The market for goaltenders is always a small one, there aren't many spots for them in the league with teams usually carrying only 2 on their roster. Teams that would be looking to spend on an upgrade in net aren't typically teams that are in playoff spots at this time, and ones that are having troubles and not in the playoffs right now typically aren't willing to give up much for a guy who becomes a UFA at the end of the season.

As for the first big bit of whining, no one is making you stay a Sabres/Bills fan. You can leave whenever you want.

Well, I think keeping Moulson until the deadline with the idea of getting the best return for him at the peak of the frenzy was the right call (if that was indeed the plan). You can't plan for injuries. And we really have no idea what was on offer last summer or last February for Vanek and/or Miller.

They're almost certainly going to end up with a top 3 pick in the draft and likely top 2 since Miller will probably be traded pretty soon.

I think everyone wants some trades/other action. I'm pretty sure something will happen pretty soon.

Wasn't it already reported what the Sabres said they wanted for Miller? Again, just because the Market is "lukewarm at best", that doesn't mean teams wouldn't want him, I'm sure that if he was put on waivers or was being given away for next to nothing the majority of the league would have claims in on him. The market for goaltenders is always a small one, there aren't many spots for them in the league with teams usually carrying only 2 on their roster. Teams that would be looking to spend on an upgrade in net aren't typically teams that are in playoff spots at this time, and ones that are having troubles and not in the playoffs right now typically aren't willing to give up much for a guy who becomes a UFA at the end of the season.

As for the first big bit of whining, no one is making you stay a Sabres/Bills fan. You can leave whenever you want.

We also said that we weren't going to just let guys walk. The market is small so Miller should be moved asap then. It cant go both ways. We cant get what we want but we wont let him leave for nothing.

Tick tock tick tock. One groin pull away from zero return. I am not suggesting moving Miller is easy but the teams involved at this point I would think have made their intentions known. Lets go!

Seeing Moulson go down should be inspiration to put some emphasis on Miller.

Edited by beerme1

Actually, no I can't. There's an emotional element to sports fandom that can't be removed. This isn't like leaving a restaurant after a bad meal -- and if it was, both the Bills and Sabres would have gone out of business a long time ago.

I'm sorry that an honest assessment of where we are and where we've been for the past four years is hard for you to hear.

I think this season is very different from the previous 4 years we've watched. For one, unlike previous years, going into this season there was no hope; we knew they were going to be terrible, and we knew they would secure a top 3 pick.

Before this season we went into every year with the same hope the Bills offer every season: they've got decent talent and maybe some hidden gems, maybe this is the year we finally pull it together and sneak in! And, you know once we're in, anything can happen in the playoffs! So we wait, every fall, and watch another 6-10 season for a ###### mid-level draft pick.

So what did we do? We did just that, just what you're saying: scrapped together an up-and-down season to land somewhere between 7-11th in the conference, driven by a last month surge in play, and fail to do anything meaningful at all during the season, (i.e. we weren't sellers or buyers at the deadline, we got a mid-round draft pick, and we missed the playoffs or, in one occasion, were bounced in the first round) But, as Buffalo fans know too well, we only saw that late season push you mention, and we got some more hope again.

Not this year. Last year we fired our long-term head coach, became full-out sellers at the deadline, and, although there was another late season push that robbed us of a good pick, we were still able to have a good draft because of our deadline deal.

We'll be sellers, with great UFA's available, and we'll have great positioning in the draft while two defensive studs marinate in the minors. Has the value of Miller went out the window because we didn't move him in the offseason? Of course it has; but he's had one of his best seasons of recent memory to drive up his value, and that's all you can hope for. I'm in agreement with everyone's frustration on Molson though; he is undoubtedly our best trade-piece, and if a rental like him is hurt, that would be a major blow. But I guess we won't know for awhile, and if he is hurt, hopefully it's not more than a month.

This year, we all knew it was going to be terrible, at least on the ice. But if we're going to choose between meddling around in the middle of the pact or bottoming out, I'll choose bottoming out for a few seasons. We have assets, a ton of them, and a great front office staff to deal with them, for once. We have Craig freaking Patrick, I have to sit down in public whenever I think of him guiding Tim Murray.

Since the Sabres finished 3rd in the East and lost to the Bruins in the 1st round, there really hasn't been any excitement. I'll take the dip in play for the change in scenery.I don't want a .500 season, a 6-10 Bills season filled with useless hope and no direction.

Edited by WildCard

I think this season is very different from the previous 4 years we've watched. For one, unlike previous years, going into this season there was no hope; we knew they were going to be terrible, and we knew they would secure a top 3 pick.

Before this season we went into every year with the same hope the Bills offer every season: they've got decent talent and maybe some hidden gems, maybe this is the year we finally pull it together and sneak in! And, you know once we're in, anything can happen in the playoffs! So we wait, every fall, and watch another 6-10 season for a ###### mid-level draft pick.

So what did we do? We did just that, just what you're saying: scrapped together an up-and-down season to land somewhere between 7-11th in the conference, driven by a last month surge in play, and fail to do anything meaningful at all during the season, (i.e. we weren't sellers or buyers at the deadline, we got a mid-round draft pick, and we missed the playoffs or, in one occasion, were bounced in the first round) But, as Buffalo fans know too well, we only saw that late season push you mention, and we got some more hope again.

Not this year. Last year we fired our long-term head coach, became full-out sellers at the deadline, and, although there was another late season push that robbed us of a good pick, we were still able to have a good draft because of our deadline deal.

We'll be sellers, with great UFA's available, and we'll have great positioning in the draft while two defensive studs marinate in the minors. Has the value of Miller went out the window because we didn't move him in the offseason? Of course it has; but he's had one of his best seasons of recent memory to drive up his value, and that's all you can hope for. I'm in agreement with everyone's frustration on Molson though; he is undoubtedly our best trade-piece, and if a rental like him is hurt, that would be a major blow. But I guess we won't know for awhile, and if he is hurt, hopefully it's not more than a month.

This year, we all knew it was going to be terrible, at least on the ice. But if we're going to choose between meddling around in the middle of the pact or bottoming out, I'll choose bottoming out for a few seasons. We have assets, a ton of them, and a great front office staff to deal with them, for once. We have Craig freaking Patrick, I have to sit down in public whenever I think of him guiding Tim Murray.

Since the Sabres finished 3rd in the East and lost to the Bruins in the 1st round, there really hasn't been any excitement. I'll take the dip in play for the change in scenery.I don't want a .500 season, a 6-10 Bills season filled with useless hope and no direction.

And thus the Tanknation Constitution was born.

Tim Murray on WGR now.

Gave a full breakdown over in the Miller thread. I'll paste it here:

Tim Murray on WGR (will organize it after/before class):

On Miller's last game in Buffalo possibly being tonight:

"His status at this point is he's a Buffalo Sabre. I've had talks with teams, and they've showed interested. They haven't (hesitation) done anything yet to change that."

"As of right now, nothing has changed with Ryan."

Has had talks about him today and yesterday.

On talks picking up leading into Friday's freeze:

"I have been getting more calls yesterday, the day before and today. Nobody has said 'I want a deal before Friday' but there is more action. If there is a fit then they might want to pull the trigger by Friday."

On what he wants in trades:

"Trying to get the best possible return. Draft picks are important. Young players and prospects speed up the process a bit."

Said teams are less likely to give up prospects due to "emotional attachment" and it's easier to sell off moving a pick to fans than it is to move a player close to the NHL.

Does he know Miller's intentions:

"Uhm, has it been decided? Hard question. There are some young guys who we're certainly going forward with, but if a team knocks your socks off then I've fibbed. I'm willing to listen on every single player. I'm certainly listening on Ryan. Is that our plan? I guess we'll see what everybody else offers."

Says he would listen to the possibility of acquiring vets, but he wouldn't be doing that to get Miller to stay. Doesn't think there are vets available.

Says he's smart enough to not let other teams lower prices because they are acquiring "rentals." Knows it's the value of the player and not his contract.

On how he thinks teams should build and if he wants to emulate a specific team/plan:

"You have to bad to get those players." Mentioned teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh. Also mentioned Anaheim who was never really too far down aside from Bobby Ryan at pick 5.

When basically baited into admitting that they're tanking:

"It'd be great to get McDavid, but it's hard to 'pull those strings."

"That can't be your plan."

I gotta say I like the dude's frankness and the way his mind works.

I think at this point, he is very much into maximizing assets and building from a clean slate.

Such a refreshing change from Darcy - who I think was a smart guy, but way too restrained in his expectations and inflexible in his approach.

I can see why Patty was drawn to this guy.

Edited by dudacek

Gave a full breakdown over in the Miller thread. I'll paste it here:

Tim Murray on WGR (will organize it after/before class):

On Miller's last game in Buffalo possibly being tonight:

"His status at this point is he's a Buffalo Sabre. I've had talks with teams, and they've showed interested. They haven't (hesitation) done anything yet to change that."

"As of right now, nothing has changed with Ryan."

Has had talks about him today and yesterday.

On talks picking up leading into Friday's freeze:

"I have been getting more calls yesterday, the day before and today. Nobody has said 'I want a deal before Friday' but there is more action. If there is a fit then they might want to pull the trigger by Friday."

On what he wants in trades:

"Trying to get the best possible return. Draft picks are important. Young players and prospects speed up the process a bit."

Said teams are less likely to give up prospects due to "emotional attachment" and it's easier to sell off moving a pick to fans than it is to move a player close to the NHL.

Does he know Miller's intentions:

"Uhm, has it been decided? Hard question. There are some young guys who we're certainly going forward with, but if a team knocks your socks off then I've fibbed. I'm willing to listen on every single player. I'm certainly listening on Ryan. Is that our plan? I guess we'll see what everybody else offers."

Says he would listen to the possibility of acquiring vets, but he wouldn't be doing that to get Miller to stay. Doesn't think there are vets available.

Says he's smart enough to not let other teams lower prices because they are acquiring "rentals." Knows it's the value of the player and not his contract.

On how he thinks teams should build and if he wants to emulate a specific team/plan:

"You have to bad to get those players." Mentioned teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh. Also mentioned Anaheim who was never really too far down aside from Bobby Ryan at pick 5.

When basically baited into admitting that they're tanking:

"It'd be great to get McDavid, but it's hard to 'pull those strings."

"That can't be your plan."

He seems ready to pull the trigger but also found it interesting that he wasn't sure when Islanders had to decide on deferment but assumed that it was well before draft.

Again, he did not say that the team was tanking, and stated that such a plan is impracticable. I am now listening to Schopp and Bulldog recapitulate the interview, and they restated the same point. Coaches and players want to win; you cannot put into practice a plan to tank.

Again, he did not say that the team was tanking, and stated that such a plan is impracticable. I am now listening to Schopp and Bulldog recapitulate the interview, and they restated the same point. Coaches and players want to win; you cannot put into practice a plan to tank.

You can't instill a tank philosophy into the players and coaches I agree, to even try to do so would be insane, but you can assemble a roster that you are pretty confident cannot win consistently in the NHL no matter how much compete you get from the individual players. This was clearly the plan with the 2013-14 Sabres, and so far it's working nicely, but you're never going to get an NHL GM admit to a tank on any level under any circumstances. Instead you'll just get code words for tank like "suffering" and "patience".

Well he can't admit to a tank, and he only said players and coaches won't tank. Never pulled back his "manipulating the roster for draft position" comment. He also continues to say you have to build in the draft and loves next year's draft.

I think he very clearly said you can't count on a tank to deliver what it promises.

I think his views on a tank also very much relate to his trade comments about moving targets - you have to be able to maximize whatever situations you find yourself in.

Well he can't admit to a tank, and he only said players and coaches won't tank. Never pulled back his "manipulating the roster for draft position" comment. He also continues to say you have to build in the draft and loves next year's draft.

Go to the other thread. Your mis-quote is almost deliberate. You well may become a sports "journalist," but if that's the way you're going to do business, I'll not read/listen/whatever.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.