Sabres claim Matt D'Agostini

Hoss

On this team probably first

He skated with Malkin on the the Pens' 2nd line in a couple of games according to my Pens fan coworker. He read really good reports about him from camp but said he looked a step behind after coming back from a lower body injury that had him sidelined for a few weeks.

Hopefully Nolan can get him going.

Asked a my buddy, a Devils fan what he thought of D'agostini the text reads "He's garbage" perfect he fits right in with the rest of the team!

Just wondering, but what were you expecting him to say? "He's the next Malkin"? Cmon.

I think what the Sabres are trying to do is find guys such as Mike Grier and Brad Brown prior to the first lockout. They needed hard working players and both came in and played very well, essp Brown. That team was garbage too and Brown was a borderline NHLer but his intensity and hard work was what the team needed. Those kind of players are underrated for rebuilding teams such as us. Losing is ok (we need that high pick) but you can't make elementary errors and still need to compete.

Not saying D'Agostini is gonna be that kind of player, but thats the kind of guys they need to look for. They are not going to find any Patrick Kane's on the waiver wire...

If he was a teacher for Nolan, then was probably a no-brainer for Nolan to advocate picking him up. Remember, Nolan is tasked with fixing the team's culture. If he thinks there aren't enough people on the roster who can do what he needs to reach their goals, then, of course, if one of his instructors is available, grab him. This completely fits in with the stated objectives of Lafontaine and Nolan.

If he was a teacher for Nolan, then was probably a no-brainer for Nolan to advocate picking him up. Remember, Nolan is tasked with fixing the team's culture. If he thinks there aren't enough people on the roster who can do what he needs to reach their goals, then, of course, if one of his instructors is available, grab him. This completely fits in with the stated objectives of Lafontaine and Nolan.

Yup, makes sense.

They can't really do anything that'll make this roster worse so might as well fill it with guys you like.

yeah, I doubt he was brought here to be an upgrade over someone, or for his talents on the ice, I think this is more of a move to get an "on ice" type coach for the young guys still here and Nolan obviously is high on him as a "coach/teacher" because he hired him teach at his camp so he knows what he is like.

So what do you think of Dags now, one game in? Didn't show up on the score sheet even though he made several contributions to it (stopping a breakaway,screening on the winning goal...)

I thought he had a good game. He seems like a Nolan kind of guy. I'll take it.

So what do you think of Dags now, one game in? Didn't show up on the score sheet even though he made several contributions to it (stopping a breakaway,screening on the winning goal...)

Leino, Dags, Moulson, and a long line of trade deadline pickups have had good first games for the Sabres. They ALL disappeared into the system shortly thereafter. I judge nothing based on one game. Let's check back in two weeks and see where things stand.

There is no doubt he earned his paycheck last night.

For a one game sample I thought D'ago demonstrated the type of play Nolan is looking for. If he continues to get himself in good positions, win battles, create turnovers and cause havoc in front of the net then he's gonna do alright here.

Leino, Dags, Moulson, and a long line of trade deadline pickups have had good first games for the Sabres. They ALL disappeared into the system shortly thereafter. I judge nothing based on one game. Let's check back in two weeks and see where things stand.

There is no doubt he earned his paycheck last night.

Moulson has 11 points in 14 games and is -3.

He hasn't set the world on fire, but he has contributed.

I'm actually really starting to take a liking to Moulson.

He's not strong, fast, or particularly skilled.

He just uses his brain and pays the price.

And WJAG's point was good. We all remember Steve Bernier.

Except that Moulson has actually been a steady contributor for the past few years. He is just always going to be one of those underappreciated guys because he doesn't do anything flashy, just puts up numbers.

If the team decides that they are a lot closer then most people on this board think they are, Moulson would be an excellent second line winger. Otherwise he should bring in plenty at the deadline.

Archived