Nolan: "Roster moves coming soon"

HopefulFuture

Sending Grigorenko back to jrs isn't going to help him and may hurt. They should just try to trade him now.

I thought Nolan was supposed to be good at teaching young players also.

There goes the top pick in the next draft. So much for a top 5 pick. Who should we expect with the 11th pick? Or will they package the 11th and another 1st rounder they have to move up to 7th?

Is this sarcasm? Calling Luke Adam up is not going to add 10 wins to this team.

The Sabres can play .500 hockey the rest of the season and are still getting a top 3 pick in the draft.

Everyone here sort of intuitively knows the moves that will be made and most of us agree with them. You don't "rebuild" by fielding a team of teenagers and watching them get pummeled by seasoned veterans every night.

Grigo isn't ready for prime time yet, but is probably too advanced now for juniors. He is a guy who desperately needs to be in Rochester, but by rule has to go back to juniors. Frustrating that he was kept up with the big club for no reason last year (other than Darcy gutted the team of centers and kept him purely for that reason).

So.... Risto and Larsson go down to Rochester; Z and Grigo go back to juniors; Adam certainly comes up. One more d-man comes up: maybe McNabb, but could be Sulzer too perhaps.

Aside from the obvious moves, I wonder if there are one or two not so obvious moves to be made? ...Probably not before a new GM is named.

Don't forget about Zigomanis he's been around awhile and just might get his chance now. Sabres have numerous players they can give a shot. McNabb, Sulzer, Rehwedel, Kaleta, Ellis, Adam. We know that none of those guys are capable of much but they feel they would be an upgrade over a kid that shouldn't have been up in the NHL to begin with.

Amen, and anyone who doesn't get this yet can feel free to check out the Oilers.

Part of the problem was they drafted all offensive players and hardly any defense. I'm not really sold on Nail Yak anyway. He seems way more of an individual player than a team player.

There goes the top pick in the next draft. So much for a top 5 pick. Who should we expect with the 11th pick? Or will they package the 11th and another 1st rounder they have to move up to 7th?
Hi Angry Nobody. Pleased to meet you.
Is this sarcasm? Calling Luke Adam up is not going to add 10 wins to this team. The Sabres can play .500 hockey the rest of the season and are still getting a top 3 pick in the draft.

this was my question.

the plan, such as it was, to have our top-end prospects playing in a toxic losing environment was one i thought would hurt more than help. it would have (or, as taro might type, it'd've) been counter-productive to have a top-3 pick or two added to a mix of young players who were already playing like beaten dogs (or did nolan use the phrase scared cats?). far better to have older guys (adam, zigomanis), the non-elite prospects (chad rooweedel and such) playing in the NHL. the end result will be about the same, and should save guys like risto and zadorov from the scars of playing on an historically bad nhl team.

counter-productive to have a top-3 pick or two added to a mix of young players who were already playing like beaten dogs (or did nolan use the phrase scared cats?).

oh, man. this is driving me to distraction. nolan characterized the young guys with some turn of phrase, i swear he did. what was it?!

waiving kaleta -- while arguably justifiable -- just felt like a low point in DR's tenure. mostly because it felt so reactionary, so beholden to the league. so wimpy, frankly.

getting him back with the big club would be most welcome.

just be smart this time, pat.

Nolan on radio now

http://player.rogers....ca/cjcl/on_air

Ted:

Too many expectations put on the young guys. They look like beaten cats in the locker room.

No guarantees about winning. Just compete and the rest takes care of itself.

He's going to Sochi.

"Every coach is interim".

oh, man. this is driving me to distraction. nolan characterized the young guys with some turn of phrase, i swear he did. what was it?!

waiving kaleta -- while arguably justifiable -- just felt like a low point in DR's tenure. mostly because it felt so reactionary, so beholden to the league. so wimpy, frankly.

getting him back with the big club would be most welcome.

just be smart this time, pat.

The bold and italics are mine.

Development and the chance to play against men. He's not going to develop playing against boys or sitting in the pressbox.

I wonder if a different Euro league is a possibility?

As for getting a waiver to send Grigo to Rochester, I think Darcy wasn't successful because there is no precedent and there is no flexibility in the rules. It really cannot be considered an option.

I'm not so sure any Euro league would be an option. If the Q blocks us from sending him to the AHL, I can't imagine they'd be any more thrilled with the idea of him going somewhere else. It more than likely violates the agreement the NHL has with the CHL leagues, but if not, opens up one hell of a can of worms that I can't imagine the NHL would be too happy about.

Don't forget about Zigomanis he's been around awhile and just might get his chance now. Sabres have numerous players they can give a shot. McNabb, Sulzer, Rehwedel, Kaleta, Ellis, Adam. We know that none of those guys are capable of much but they feel they would be an upgrade over a kid that shouldn't have been up in the NHL to begin with.

The irony is that while Darcy fielded a team of green kids for the Sabres, the Amerks are overloaded with over-aged players.

You are welcome.

You could listen for yourself. The interview link was in her post.

thanks. got it going now.

that site, btw, is very slick the way you can get audio clips.

nolan described both tylers as looking like "beat up cats" -- said too much was put on them too soon, maybe.

this was all part of the "getting the guys to feel better about themselves" thing.

thanks again.

My bets?

In: Kaleta, Weber

Out: Larsson, Zadorov

Adam and McNabb for Grigorenko and Risto coming soon.

To make it interesting, I'll predict that your predictions are right EXCEPT that Risto will go down in the first wave and Zadorov in the 2nd. My reason is that Ted hasn't had a chance to see Zadorov play yet, and Zadorov has (I think) 2 more NHL games before a year of his ELC is burned.

To make it interesting, I'll predict that your predictions are right EXCEPT that Risto will go down in the first wave and Zadorov in the 2nd. My reason is that Ted hasn't had a chance to see Zadorov play yet, and Zadorov has (I think) 2 more NHL games before a year of his ELC is burned.

Correct. He has 2 more.

isn't there some other threshold regarding eligibility for free agency? we experienced this last year with grigo.

isn't there some other threshold regarding eligibility for free agency? we experienced this last year with grigo.

Yea wasn't it something about 25games on the active roster or something like that? Scratches didn't matter.

If that is the case remember Zadorov was injured for part of the season.

• Grigo, Risto, Z, and Larsson go down to the appropriate level.
  • Adam (leads the AHL in goals), Kaleta, and either Sulzer (7 points in 8 games) or McNabb (12 points in 15 games) come up.

That leaves the team with 23 roster players:

• 5 centers: CoHo, Girgensons, McCormick, Leino, Adam
  • 4 left wingers: Ennis, Moulson, Foligno, Scott
  • 5 right wingers: Ott, Flynn, Stafford, Tropp, Kaleta
  • 7 defensemen: McBain, Myers, The Hoff, Pysyk, Tallinder, Weber, and Sulzer/McNabb
  • 2 goalies: Miller, Jhonas

• Grigo, Risto, Z, and Larsson go down to the appropriate level.
  • Adam (leads the AHL in goals), Kaleta, and either Sulzer (7 points in 8 games) or McNabb (12 points in 15 games) come up.

That leaves the team with 23 roster players:

• 5 centers: CoHo, Girgensons, McCormick, Leino, Adam
  • 4 left wingers: Ennis, Moulson, Foligno, Scott
  • 5 right wingers: Ott, Flynn, Stafford, Tropp, Kaleta
  • 7 defensemen: McBain, Myers, The Hoff, Pysyk, Tallinder, Weber, and Sulzer/McNabb
  • 2 goalies: Miller, Jhonas

God what a lineup to work with! :o Thanks Darcy for such a solid lineup :doh:

Beaten cats

I'm not so sure any Euro league would be an option. If the Q blocks us from sending him to the AHL, I can't imagine they'd be any more thrilled with the idea of him going somewhere else. It more than likely violates the agreement the NHL has with the CHL leagues, but if not, opens up one hell of a can of worms that I can't imagine the NHL would be too happy about.

The issue with sending him to Rochester is a contract the CHL has with the AHL. I do not believe that the CHL has any contracts like this with any other leagues. The league may give us the stink eye for farming him out but there is nothing contractually they could do about it.

So now we transition into the throw all the kids out phase. I get regime change doesn't end with the management. If they start sending the kids down, then the entire reason for the season has been flushed as well. Promoting a Luke Adam or Pat Kaleta to the roster does zero, nil, nada, nothing for the Sabres at this point. I am truly lost as to what this season will be and what they hope to accomplish.

Swapping AHL journeyman for AHL rookies makes no sense to me. I truly hope the Sabres leave Kaleta in Rochester. I'm done with his antics. It is only a matter of time before he is disciplined or hurt again.

So now we transition into the throw all the kids out phase. I get regime change doesn't end with the management. If they start sending the kids down, then the entire reason for the season has been flushed as well. Promoting a Luke Adam or Pat Kaleta to the roster does zero, nil, nada, nothing for the Sabres at this point. I am truly lost as to what this season will be and what they hope to accomplish.

Swapping AHL journeyman for AHL rookies makes no sense to me. I truly hope the Sabres leave Kaleta in Rochester. I'm done with his antics. It is only a matter of time before he is disciplined or hurt again.

If John Scott can get a misconduct for being on the ice, Pat Kaleta will get suspended 30 games for tying his skates.

The issue with sending him to Rochester is a contract the CHL has with the AHL. I do not believe that the CHL has any contracts like this with any other leagues. The league may give us the stink eye for farming him out but there is nothing contractually they could do about it.

I love the idea of loaning him to MoDo. They're pretty bad this year so you'd think they want him and we have other prospects playing there.

I would like the D-Men to stay up..Risto.....etc. Best to learn up here as it takes D a while to develop.....mostly

This season was lost at the beginning when Regier and Rolston were still employed. I think Pegula felt heat from the media, Buffalo News, Fans voicing their displeasure about what was happening with signs and not showing up to the games. Something had to be done. Now Lafontaine and Nolan are here to bring this team back to get some respect. Out of all my years of watching Sabres hockey this was by far the most unwatchable team I have ever seen. Flat out terrible. These last two games at least that changed. If you are too young and not ready for the NHL. I would much rather have you develop in a lower league and dominate and earn and I mean earn your spot on the big club. If you got hired as coach of this mess you would want guys that come in and play hard for you not guys that aren't ready and you have no shot with them in the lineup! People can say what they want about Kaleta and we all know he has done some bonehead plays but the guy flat out plays hard and that's what this coach wants. Kaleta is a solid penalty killer and can contribute at the NHL level if he would stop some of his boneheaded plays.

I would like the D-Men to stay up..Risto.....etc. Best to learn up here as it takes D a while to develop.....mostly

I would rather them dominate there respected league because to me Risto is capable of much more but isn't ready to be handed a full time defensive spot on the big club just yet. Zadorov is going to be good as well but I would rather see them dominate and have the confidence to make an impact at the NHL level when they are up in the near future.

Archived