Nolan: "Roster moves coming soon"

HopefulFuture

I have been impressed that Risto can fill a role at 18, with the package that is Zadorov, Grigorenko's hands, and the hustle shown by Girgs and Larsson.

But none are any more than fringe NHL players at this point.

I do subscribe to the theory that most prospects are better off paying their dues and learning to dominate at a lower level before riding the pine in the NHL.

And before training camp I thought Girgs, Larsson, Risto (and Armia) were going to be part of a special group in Rochester, then maybe see some time up here after the trade deadline.

That still makes sense and I wonder how much elevating them all to start the season was Darcy wanting to tank, and how much of it was Rolston thinking he could continue to operate Sabres University in the NHL.

So now we transition into the throw all the kids out phase. I get regime change doesn't end with the management. If they start sending the kids down, then the entire reason for the season has been flushed as well. Promoting a Luke Adam or Pat Kaleta to the roster does zero, nil, nada, nothing for the Sabres at this point. I am truly lost as to what this season will be and what they hope to accomplish.

Swapping AHL journeyman for AHL rookies makes no sense to me. I truly hope the Sabres leave Kaleta in Rochester. I'm done with his antics. It is only a matter of time before he is disciplined or hurt again.

But it was the entire reason underlying the failed strategy of the failed prior GM/coach combo. Now that those 2 are gone, I'm more than happy to support the strategy that PLF and TN think is best.

Zadorov to London, Larsson and Risto to Rochester, Grigorenko to the Q.

McNabb, Kaleta, Adam up from Rochester, Weber back in.

New D: Ehrhoff, Myers, Weber, McNabb, Tallinder, Pysyk, McBain

Replace Weber with Sulzer or McNabb and you might have something. Send Weber to the "A" cuz he sux.

I do subscribe to the theory that most prospects are better off paying their dues and learning to dominate at a lower level before riding the pine in the NHL.

And before training camp I thought Girgs, Larsson, Risto (and Armia) were going to be part of a special group in Rochester, then maybe see some time up here after the trade deadline.

This I can agree on

But it was the entire reason underlying the failed strategy of the failed prior GM/coach combo. Now that those 2 are gone, I'm more than happy to support the strategy that PLF and TN think is best.

Something had to be done. This team was worse than an expansion team. Veterans not playing hard. Who in their right mind would want to come to Buffalo in the near future when your this bad. I can live with them calling up guys like Kaleta, Sulzer or someone else on the roster short term in order to stockpile some young talent for the future. This season is lost but it's now about getting back some respect back when you play Buffalo. Nolan will have these guys working there tails off and I can only hope that whenever they hire a new GM that Nolan is around for quite some time. He should have never been let go the first time.

Replace Weber with Sulzer or McNabb and you might have something. Send Weber to the "A" cuz he sux.

McNabb is already on the team in my scenario, and yea, Sulzer is a fantastic NHL player. Definitely a big difference between him and Weber. /sarcasm.

They have not earned my blind allegiance. If anything, the Sabres have been a mess most of my lifetime and this is just the next chapter. Everyone is giving these guys the keys to the Caddie and they haven't done anything to earn them other than a prior association with the team.

They have not earned my blind allegiance. If anything, the Sabres have been a mess most of my lifetime and this is just the next chapter. Everyone is giving these guys the keys to the Caddie and they haven't done anything to earn them other than a prior association with the team.

They gave them the keys to the Yugo.

We trust that they have enough balls and are smart enough to trade it in for a Caddy in the next few years....

Quote from Nolan here:

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=22873

You have to find out those buttons that need to be pushed,” he said. “Some guys on this team already, they need a good swift kick in the rear and some people might need a little hug. So we’ll go through that once we find out the personalities of the player.

Would love to know who he places in each of those two categories. We'll get some indication with the roster moves, but I'm guessing there are some players in the former category that aren't easy to move right now.

You and me both but we haven't had an owner with this deep a pocket books and a desire to win as badly as he wants too. Unfortunately you had a bonehead GM that was selling him on finishing at the bottom. I don't mind if you finish at the bottom but this team was well unwatchable. Plus they have more 1st and 2nd round picks in the last few years to right this ship if the right people are in place to oversee it.

So now we transition into the throw all the kids out phase. I get regime change doesn't end with the management. If they start sending the kids down, then the entire reason for the season has been flushed as well. Promoting a Luke Adam or Pat Kaleta to the roster does zero, nil, nada, nothing for the Sabres at this point. I am truly lost as to what this season will be and what they hope to accomplish.

Swapping AHL journeyman for AHL rookies makes no sense to me. I truly hope the Sabres leave Kaleta in Rochester. I'm done with his antics. It is only a matter of time before he is disciplined or hurt again.

this

and this

Quote from Nolan here:

http://sabres.nhl.co...st.htm?id=22873

Would love to know who he places in each of those two categories. We'll get some indication with the roster moves, but I'm guessing there are some players in the former category that aren't easy to move right now.

Myers...hug

Stafford....creepy hug

Grigs...kick in the ass

Foligno...pretend you want to hug him so he tries harder because he wants to stay on the DL

Hodgson...kick in the ass

Ennis....a wink and a handshake with a 1 arm pat on the back

Lieno....a hug but with a tongue in the ear and grabbing a butt cheek....

The idea that we are a few signings from cup contention is delusional. I was behind a complete tear down. DR was not the man for the rebuild, but the strategy was sound. Now we are trying to rebuild the plane in flight. I fear the latest pr move will result in a sub par product that sells tickets because they work hard. I want elite talent that wins cups. Sure you have to work hard, but plow horses dont win the derby.

The idea that we are a few signings from cup contention is delusional. I was behind a complete tear down. DR was not the man for the rebuild, but the strategy was sound. Now we are trying to rebuild the plane in flight. I fear the latest pr move will result in a sub par product that sells tickets because they work hard. I want elite talent that wins cups. Sure you have to work hard, but plow horses dont win the derby.

Don't get me wrong I wanted this awhile ago. Years ago I thought they weren't good enough and then they had some late runs that screwed up there draft position when we could have been set now. I still don't think they are good enough now even if they worked hard. Edmonton, Calgary, Buffalo should and I said should finish in the somewhere in the bottom 5. Edmonton has no defense, Calgary well they are Calgary(No Direction) and Buffalo is almost like Calgary. Problem is I want to finish close to the bottom next year when McDavid is up. Talent like him doesn't come around often and a player like that could change the whole franchise.

oh, man. this is driving me to distraction. nolan characterized the young guys with some turn of phrase, i swear he did. what was it?!

waiving kaleta -- while arguably justifiable -- just felt like a low point in DR's tenure. mostly because it felt so reactionary, so beholden to the league. so wimpy, frankly.

getting him back with the big club would be most welcome.

just be smart this time, pat.

I can understand the underlying sentiment on Kaleta's tangibles he brings to the table, but in all honestly, I humbly disagree.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings any if Kaleta never saw a Sabres jersey again, quite frankly, both he and Scott are now more liabilities to the club then ever before given the crackdown currently ongoing.

I submit it would be much wiser to move away from Kaleta.

Myers...hug

Stafford....creepy hug

Grigs...kick in the ass

Foligno...pretend you want to hug him so he tries harder because he wants to stay on the DL

Hodgson...kick in the ass

Ennis....a wink and a handshake with a 1 arm pat on the back

Lieno....a hug but with a tongue in the ear and grabbing a butt cheek....

LOL

Yeah but panthers willing to trade everything that has more than two years of experience in the NHL.

"Hi. Florida? It's Buffalo. Yeah, you? Hahahaha, us too. Listen, umm, you want our shot at the lottery pick for "everything that has more than two years of experience in the NHL?" Oh. No? You sure? Ok. Well, if you change your--

--hey! You didn't have to hang up on me!

Beaten cats

The issue with sending him to Rochester is a contract the CHL has with the AHL. I do not believe that the CHL has any contracts like this with any other leagues. The league may give us the stink eye for farming him out but there is nothing contractually they could do about it.

It's actually a transfer agreement between the NHL and CHL. Loans to euro leagues are tricky enough as is, but now we are suggesting adding in another layer with the junior eligibility.

I'm not saying it isn't possible, I'm just not aware of it happening with a player this age who already has an nNHL contract.

Archived