GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ New York Rangers 10/31/13 @ 7:00

JJFIVEOH

I am tired of hearing this. These teams were in the position to have high draft picks because they were MISMANAGED. They then made management changes and with draft picks, trades, and FA they rebuilt.

These teams never did what we are doing. They didn't have a GM run them into being the worse team in the league and then allow that same GM to rebuild it. Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh, etc never had a plan to tank and then rebuild.

I disagree. At least in the case of Pittsburgh I disagree. I thoroughly believe that they planned a multi-season tank. Just like Quebec/Colorado and Ottawa before them. Damn man, they changed the draft rules for crying out loud. Why do you think they did that? I am well convinced that the league knew it was a tank and wanted to discourage it in the future.

Change the names and you have a post-Bills game commentary.Its spooky.

You can compare the Bills to the Sabres in that they both are in a "rebuilding phase", both are young teams that are under a rookie coach, playing in a new "system", after that there is no comparison. The Bills even though riddled by injuries go out and compete in every game. The Bills you can see moving forward, they play hard, they play as a team, you can see that they believe in what they are doing and that they believe that they can and will succeed in the near future. With the Bills you can see progress and believe that things are changing, with the Sabres you have none of the above. The Sabres seem to be going backwards, there's no direction, no heart, no accountability and no signs of progress. Other than the hope that the Sabres will finish last and Darcy will somehow develop the ability to to evaluate talent and draft a bunch of 18 year old kids that will suddenly make them a contender, there is nothing that says "rebuilding" to me.

You can compare the Bills to the Sabres in that they both are in a "rebuilding phase", both are young teams that are under a rookie coach, playing in a new "system", after that there is no comparison. The Bills even though riddled by injuries go out and compete in every game. The Bills you can see moving forward, they play hard, they play as a team, you can see that they believe in what they are doing and that they believe that they can and will succeed in the near future. With the Bills you can see progress and believe that things are changing, with the Sabres you have none of the above. The Sabres seem to be going backwards, there's no direction, no heart, no accountability and no signs of progress. Other than the hope that the Sabres will finish last and Darcy will somehow develop the ability to to evaluate talent and draft a bunch of 18 year old kids that will suddenly make them a contender, there is nothing that says "rebuilding" to me.

And that's my point. You can rebuild while ATTEMPTING to stay competitive. I guess maybe I am in the minority here but I would rather watch a competitive hockey team night in and night out than watch a team for 164 games hoping they get TWO top draft picks.

I know it's a different sport but did the Red Sox need years of rebuilding. One of the worse records in baseball last year. The Bills opponent this weekend was 2-14 last year. Now undefeated. The team with the worse record in hockey now has the second best. What do all of those teams have in common??

And that's my point. You can rebuild while ATTEMPTING to stay competitive. I guess maybe I am in the minority here but I would rather watch a competitive hockey team night in and night out than watch a team for 164 games hoping they get TWO top draft picks.

I know it's a different sport but did the Red Sox need years of rebuilding. One of the worse records in baseball last year. The Bills opponent this weekend was 2-14 last year. Now undefeated. The team with the worse record in hockey now has the second best. What do all of those teams have in common??

They all stayed at a Holiday Inn?

This is the disadvantage of a one league system.

You can tank.

In soccer in Europe when you are bad you go down one level.

Currently the Sabres should go down to the AHL. After the first good few minutes they just sucked.

It is hard to stay a motivated Sabres fan.

True, but besides germany, belgium and sweden, all the leagues in europe are bankrupt. Because those teams spend alot of cash by trying to stay up, go down a level anyways and find themselves with less revenue a year later cause they are playing at a lower level.

I saw the end of the 2nd period and 3rd period. That was a squalid, lackluster effort by the Sabres. Darcy Regier's Buffalo Sabres somehow managed to score 2 fewer goals than the 2nd worst goal scoring team in the entire league - the Rangers. Guess who the WORST scoring team in the NHL currently is?

I am tired of hearing this. These teams were in the position to have high draft picks because they were MISMANAGED. They then made management changes and with draft picks, trades, and FA they rebuilt.

These teams never did what we are doing. They didn't have a GM run them into being the worse team in the league and then allow that same GM to rebuild it. Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh, etc never had a plan to tank and then rebuild.

You don't yet know that Darcy will be in charge of the rebuild. The Sabres are still in tear-down mode.

Why does this team shoot when they should pass and pass when they should shoot...Where's the innate hockey sense?

Because they have been constantly forced to play within a system that lacks any sort of creative element whatsoever. Why is that we are the only team in the entire league that can't make a zone entry? Or why are we the only team in the league that can't exit our own zone? I don't think that honestly has to do with the talent level. I think it has to do with 2 things. 1) Coaching, RR is still using LR system or at least a chunk of it. 2) Our team is stupid. I am dead serious when I say I honestly think this team lacks hockey IQ. You know why Zadorov can slow things down and do what he does? It isn't simply he is talented but he is SMART. He can think ahead in a game or on a play. Moulson appears to have some of this. Hodgson does as well. Risto might too. But Ott, Myers, McBain, etc... they literally can not think the game at a high enough level to maximize the physical talents they have. Myers in particular is maddening to watch. Plays develop and I, me sitting around being bored can see the easy crap like not taking 20seconds to wind up a shot or hey look you have the time to skate up and make a short nice pass. Instead we get panic with panic with panic and panic. If I see someone carry the puck for more than 5 seconds on this team IT STANDS OUT TO ME! That is how god awful and stupid this team truly is.

ENDRANT.

Because they have been constantly forced to play within a system that lacks any sort of creative element whatsoever. Why is that we are the only team in the entire league that can't make a zone entry? Or why are we the only team in the league that can't exit our own zone? I don't think that honestly has to do with the talent level. I think it has to do with 2 things. 1) Coaching, RR is still using LR system or at least a chunk of it. 2) Our team is stupid. I am dead serious when I say I honestly think this team lacks hockey IQ. You know why Zadorov can slow things down and do what he does? It isn't simply he is talented but he is SMART. He can think ahead in a game or on a play. Moulson appears to have some of this. Hodgson does as well. Risto might too. But Ott, Myers, McBain, etc... they literally can not think the game at a high enough level to maximize the physical talents they have. Myers in particular is maddening to watch. Plays develop and I, me sitting around being bored can see the easy crap like not taking 20seconds to wind up a shot or hey look you have the time to skate up and make a short nice pass. Instead we get panic with panic with panic and panic. If I see someone carry the puck for more than 5 seconds on this team IT STANDS OUT TO ME! That is how god awful and stupid this team truly is.

ENDRANT.

I understand what you're saying but there's a reason its called armchair quarterback. Its far easier and there's far less pressure sitting in your armchair. Then there's hindsight. The problem with this team in the past, now and going forward is DRs inability to build. I would add that coaching and systems play a roll as well but not sure I'd say that our players are stupid.

ENDRANT.

I don't see even a remnant of Lindy Ruff's system when the Sabres take the ice.

I don't see even a remnant of Lindy Ruff's system when the Sabres take the ice.

The dump and chase? I know most teams do this but the Sabres seem to be one of the few that put 3 forwards on the opposing blue line while the defender lugs into to center and then fires it in. The result of 3 guys waiting at full stops is a quick exit out of the zone for the other team.

The other is the lack of a forecheck although honestly that could simply be us sucking.

The dump and chase? I know most teams do this but the Sabres seem to be one of the few that put 3 forwards on the opposing blue line while the defender lugs into to center and then fires it in. The result of 3 guys waiting at full stops is a quick exit out of the zone for the other team.

The other is the lack of a forecheck although honestly that could simply be us sucking.

You know what I haven't seen since Lindy left? Guys skating/dangling east-west at the blue line while trying to enter the zone. Those pointless offsides plays used to be killers. I think certain players were also more likely to try that move than others (most of whom are no longer with the club). But clean zone entries were never really a Lindy Ruff thing post '06.

You know what I haven't seen since Lindy left? Guys skating/dangling east-west at the blue line while trying to enter the zone. Those pointless offsides plays used to be killers. I think certain players were also more likely to try that move than others (most of whom are no longer with the club). But clean zone entries were never really a Lindy Ruff thing post '06.

So when the roster suffered a significant downgrade in talent, the clean zone entries went away too? Fascinating ;)

You may or may not be in the minority, but I'm with ya, brother.

There is no system in the NHL that would work when you lose 95% of the puck battles in the corners and behind the net. Cycling the puck in the offensive zone is not something the

current cast of Sabres does with any regularity or efficiency. Even the Rangers, as bad as they currently are, can cycle the puck and find an open man.

The system discussion really has a lot to do with the players as well.

Coming out of the lockout the Sabres were "run and gun". A high tempo team with good speed, zone entries, and offensive zone possession numbers. Our puck moving defense with guys like Campbell, Kalinen, Tallinder, Numminen and Lydman was pretty a-physical. Our forwards possessed enough grit to keep the puck in the offensive zone after gaining entry that our defense didn't really need to grind.

Then we lost some of our possession/scoring guys. Dumont, Drury, Briere, were all guys who won puck battles and also got on the scoreboard. Briere was a magician behind the oppenents net. Now it was going to be up to Afinogenov, Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Kotalik, Gaustad and Drew Stafford to win puck battles and keep play alive. Oh dear.

So the system went from being Up Tempo crossed with Puck Possession to just puck possession featuring guys who couldn't play that style. The NHL was also allowing more neutral zone interference at this point which meant that our zone entries started falling apart. Guys like Afinogenov and Roy were being relied upon to get into the zone, and then maintain that zone play. We all know that didn't work.

But Lindy's plan, as late as last season, was to be a puck possession team first and foremost. His mistake was not realizing that he didn't have any guys left who could play that game save for Jason Pominville. And maybe Kaleta.

Or maybe he did realize it. Darcy sure didn't. Keep in mind that most NHL systems now are Puck Possession first, and then a dash of something else next. Teams like LA and Boston are all about physical play. Grind it out with speed and big hits to generate turnovers and score. Teams like Detroit and Pittsburgh are more about using that possession game to hold onto the puck, rather than having to fight to recover it in the offensive zone.

The Sabres don't have the men to play either game. Or they at least have a few young guys who can be those men. Girgensons and Foligno need to win your puck battles. Guys like Ennis, Hodgson and Grigorenko need to be better with straight possession. Ennis isn't winning puck battles. He's just not. Hodgson doesn't look like that kind of guy either. Grigorenko, with some more strength and tenacity, might. But we're very low on guys who can win puck battles. And it's been that way for quite some time.

How does the defense fit in? If you play a good possession system, your defense can activate on the wings more. When they can rely on your forwards to win puck battles they can take chances. Our defense can't take chances right now, and it makes them impotent. And without guys who can carry the puck without having it taken away, we're not leaving our own end. Our defense could actually be brilliant, but we wont know until we have some forwards who can actually skate and win puck battles.

Speaking to Rolston then, he's abandoned a posession game because he knows they can't do it. He's playing dump and chase and HOPING that guys will go win puck battles. It's not working because of course it's not going to work. The personnel aren't on this team.

Archived