GDT: Buffalo Sabres @ New York Rangers 10/31/13 @ 7:00

JJFIVEOH

The system discussion really has a lot to do with the players as well.

Coming out of the lockout the Sabres were "run and gun". A high tempo team with good speed, zone entries, and offensive zone possession numbers. Our puck moving defense with guys like Campbell, Kalinen, Tallinder, Numminen and Lydman was pretty a-physical. Our forwards possessed enough grit to keep the puck in the offensive zone after gaining entry that our defense didn't really need to grind.

Then we lost some of our possession/scoring guys. Dumont, Drury, Briere, were all guys who won puck battles and also got on the scoreboard. Briere was a magician behind the oppenents net. Now it was going to be up to Afinogenov, Vanek, Pominville, Roy, Kotalik, Gaustad and Drew Stafford to win puck battles and keep play alive. Oh dear.

So the system went from being Up Tempo crossed with Puck Possession to just puck possession featuring guys who couldn't play that style. The NHL was also allowing more neutral zone interference at this point which meant that our zone entries started falling apart. Guys like Afinogenov and Roy were being relied upon to get into the zone, and then maintain that zone play. We all know that didn't work.

But Lindy's plan, as late as last season, was to be a puck possession team first and foremost. His mistake was not realizing that he didn't have any guys left who could play that game save for Jason Pominville. And maybe Kaleta.

Or maybe he did realize it. Darcy sure didn't. Keep in mind that most NHL systems now are Puck Possession first, and then a dash of something else next. Teams like LA and Boston are all about physical play. Grind it out with speed and big hits to generate turnovers and score. Teams like Detroit and Pittsburgh are more about using that possession game to hold onto the puck, rather than having to fight to recover it in the offensive zone.

The Sabres don't have the men to play either game. Or they at least have a few young guys who can be those men. Girgensons and Foligno need to win your puck battles. Guys like Ennis, Hodgson and Grigorenko need to be better with straight possession. Ennis isn't winning puck battles. He's just not. Hodgson doesn't look like that kind of guy either. Grigorenko, with some more strength and tenacity, might. But we're very low on guys who can win puck battles. And it's been that way for quite some time.

How does the defense fit in? If you play a good possession system, your defense can activate on the wings more. When they can rely on your forwards to win puck battles they can take chances. Our defense can't take chances right now, and it makes them impotent. And without guys who can carry the puck without having it taken away, we're not leaving our own end. Our defense could actually be brilliant, but we wont know until we have some forwards who can actually skate and win puck battles.

Speaking to Rolston then, he's abandoned a posession game because he knows they can't do it. He's playing dump and chase and HOPING that guys will go win puck battles. It's not working because of course it's not going to work. The personnel aren't on this team.

great post and analysis.

I agree completely

Now, none if this is to say that I have any comprehension of how to coach a hockey team or team strategy. I don't know anything about stuff like running a Left Wing Lock. Mostly because I don't have to know that. All I do is play beer league hockey where no one uses strategy. It's something I want to study more this season so that I can learn to identify it better.

Building a team though. I could probably manage that.

One of the things you'll see the Sabres try to run though is the well known 2-1-2 Forecheck. Basically one forward attacks the puck carrier and a second forward gets in on the play to try and come up with the puck when F1 gets it away from the defender or whoever has it. Forward 3 hangs at the top of the circles (think Pominville) and waits for a pass while covering passing lanes so the defender can't move the puck that way. One of the defenders is in a position where he can either receive a pass or jump down to keep the puck in. Tyler Myers does this a lot, and used to do it well. Zadorov and Ristolainen have shown a knack for this as well. The other defender meanwhile is prepared in case the defending team breaks out.

You can't do this system if you can't skate. Myers, seeming to have lost his skating ability, should basically never be the guy jumping into the play because he always gets beat now. You also can't do this if your forwards can't win puck battles. Which they can't. Hench all the odd man rushes. Teams sit a guy or two up high in a box and wait for our guys to lose the puck battle and generate a breakout against a D that has inevitably pinched and left only one man high. (To be technical, teams use a 1-2-2 defensive system to beat our ###### 2-1-2. Some teams even use a 2-2-1 against us because of how weak we are in the offensive zone. One guy winning puck battles is enough. Lame.

Because they have been constantly forced to play within a system that lacks any sort of creative element whatsoever. Why is that we are the only team in the entire league that can't make a zone entry? Or why are we the only team in the league that can't exit our own zone? I don't think that honestly has to do with the talent level. I think it has to do with 2 things. 1) Coaching, RR is still using LR system or at least a chunk of it. 2) Our team is stupid. I am dead serious when I say I honestly think this team lacks hockey IQ. You know why Zadorov can slow things down and do what he does? It isn't simply he is talented but he is SMART. He can think ahead in a game or on a play. Moulson appears to have some of this. Hodgson does as well. Risto might too. But Ott, Myers, McBain, etc... they literally can not think the game at a high enough level to maximize the physical talents they have. Myers in particular is maddening to watch. Plays develop and I, me sitting around being bored can see the easy crap like not taking 20seconds to wind up a shot or hey look you have the time to skate up and make a short nice pass. Instead we get panic with panic with panic and panic. If I see someone carry the puck for more than 5 seconds on this team IT STANDS OUT TO ME! That is how god awful and stupid this team truly is.

ENDRANT.

said that the year after tyler picked up his award in game three,it was not a well received comment..so I said it repeatedly...because it bothered people . nice to see you are now on board. lol soft melons. a little late in life to speed up the influx of ions

Archived