Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Correct. In the cap era it makes zero sense to trade a #1 overall pick (or #2 or #3 for that matter) when there is a franchise player to be taken. It will almost certainly not happen under this CBA and will absolutely not happen with McDavid.

You are right of course, but have you met Charles Wang?

For a lot of money, which you can't do anymore. If you had the pick to get the next Crosby (exaggerating a little), what would a team have to offer you to trade him away? Remember that after the top 1-3 in most drafts, you're talking about players who will probably be pretty good. So, no matter how many "first round picks" you're talking about, they aren't worth much if they are out of those top 1-3.

No, your not exaggerating.

Ya never know!

Poor defense of your view haha. If it were my pick, I wouldn't trade the first pick next year for all of picks 5-15.

No, your not exaggerating.

I was about to point that out. While McDavid could bust, scouts have said he's somehow far ahead of Sidney Crosby when he was that age.

If we have the first pick, and a chance to take McDavid, and someone offers us a Herschel Walker trade. I might make that trade. but it's not a sure thing.

C'mon, man. Herschel Walker's gotta be 50 years old and he NEVER played hockey. Why would you want him?

GO SABRES!!!

Come on, you should at least go with the proper hockey analogy here and call it an Eric Lindros trade.

Here are the deets;

Steve Duchesne, Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci and Chris Simon, two draft picks and $15 million.

So the Sabres equivalents might be

Pysyk (Duchesne)

Girgensons (Forsberg I know he's not nearly the talent)

Enroth (hextall)

Weber (Huffman)

Larsson (ricci)

Foligno (Simon to offset Girgs/Forsberg)

Plus two 1sts

Don't worry about it. It didn't really mean anything. I was just noting that you're going to sources via email to check out this case.

Well, so far no one seems to know for sure or is willing to go on record anyway. Kris Baker actually thinks you are right about at the draft but the other three guys all seem to think it is within 48 hours after the lottery. Not sure why the Sabres' won't go on record.

Well, so far no one seems to know for sure or is willing to go on record anyway. Kris Baker actually thinks you are right about at the draft but the other three guys all seem to think it is within 48 hours after the lottery. Not sure why the Sabres' won't go on record.

I wonder if there is any chance that the discussion was never had. I'd be shocked if this were the case, but they might've just given the option to defer without ever making a clear determination. Who knows.

But the way the team is starting to play, we really have to pull that the Isles defer the pick to 2015. I doubt this team is anywhere near the top five next year if they convince Miller to stay.

Edited by DStebb

Interesting article on Moulson ...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/opinion/2013/12/these-are-interesting-times-for-sabres-sniper-matt-moulson.html

Seems like he really likes it here, the fans and loves playing for Nolan.

Very interesting article... At the bottom he says Thomas Vanek (NYR) didn't know he got traded again...

And I would agree with James Mirtle @mirtle that he needs to re sign prior to March 5 to put his money where his mouth is then. Of course that means we would have to offer him something first! But it is nice to hear comments like that from and Ott as well.

If you look at that FA list it 's not very impressive and some of those will be kept by their current team. I think we should keep some of what we have at this point. We have bottomed out. No need to go further. I pay for entertainment which I am grateful Nolan understands.

That goes a long way with this season ticket holder.

Looking at the free agent lists I would find out exactly what Ott and Moulson want and say they will get 10% more, but they will have to wait until July 1 to sign after taking a playoff run with a contender first.

If they like Terry and Ted a lot and want to stay here, they'd have to be very intrigued.

No one will pay them more, and by going they improve the team they are coming back to next year.

Implausible sure, but I think it it has happened before - Keith Tkachuk, maybe?

Looking at the free agent lists I would find out exactly what Ott and Moulson want and say they will get 10% more, but they will have to wait until July 1 to sign after taking a playoff run with a contender first.

If they like Terry and Ted a lot and want to stay here, they'd have to be very intrigued.

No one will pay them more, and by going they improve the team they are coming back to next year.

Implausible sure, but I think it it has happened before - Keith Tkachuk, maybe?

Isn't that collusion, or something, verboten by the CBA?

Yeap. Hard to prove unless somebody comes out and admits it. Also would be extremely risky because it'd likely result in loss of draft picks which we can't afford to throw away top five picks.

I'm sure anything binding would be, but how could they enforce any punishment on a non-binding verbal agreement?

The Sabres are free to negotiate with their own free agents before trading them.

Both players would still be free to sign wherever they want come free agency.

The Sabres would be running on trust and the risk either could change his mind.

I'm sure anything binding would be, but how could they enforce any punishment on a non-binding verbal agreement?

The Sabres are free to negotiate with their own free agents before trading them.

Both players would still be free to sign wherever they want come free agency.

The Sabres would be running on trust and the risk either could change his mind.

If the team made the agreement with a player and then put them on the trade market and both sides indicated that an extension with the new team was possible (to drive up the trade price) and then he resigned it would be collusion. If it was made clear that he was a rental and that he intended to resign in Buffalo, then it'd likely be allowed.

MattyMo has the same number of points on the year as Vanek (admittedly in one more game played)... and even if he is a rental, I love MattyMo's positive attitude relative to the ever-sulking Vanek. I was/am an unabashed Darcy hater, but he did a great job with the Vanek for MattyMo and a 1st trade.

MattyMo has the same number of points on the year as Vanek (admittedly in one more game played)... and even if he is a rental, I love MattyMo's positive attitude relative to the ever-sulking Vanek. I was/am an unabashed Darcy hater, but he did a great job with the Vanek for MattyMo and a 1st trade.

Unless a team offers a top prospect and a first then I want to keep him around. Trade Ott and probably Miller, keep Moulson.

Unless a team offers a top prospect and a first then I want to keep him around. Trade Ott and probably Miller, keep Moulson.

Yeah, I mean you gotta have a couple of guys on the roster who can put the puck in the net. And, you need a few veterans to round out an otherwise young team. I'd be happy if they retained MattyMo and Otter to provide some veteran leadership up front.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.