Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Again you are proving my point instead of yours. History (I have no reason not to trust your numbers) shows that the bottom two teams have won the lottery 44.4% of the time. It's actually impressive how close that is to the actual 43.8% chance the bottom two have of winning the lottery. That's hardly heavily weighted towards the bottom two teams as you stated earlier:

Just admit you made a couple BS statements earlier and let the thread move back on topic.

I did admit I was wrong. I was proving your point. I was just providing some statistics.

Edited by DStebb

Let's go back for a second here.

There was a conversation about getting the #1 overall pick, and specifically McDavid next year.

Mr. Stebb himself said:

To which shrader correctly responded:

This response was correct because under the prior system, teams #6-14 in the lottery -- i.e. 64.3% of the lottery participants -- weren't eligible to win the #1 pick -- so Stebb's statement that "history suggests..." was neither here nor there.

Stebb, presumably flummoxed but not wanting to admit defeat, responded with:

...which was also neither here nor there.

We then migrated to a discussion of what "winning the lottery" really means -- which doesn't jibe with the prior discussion about getting McDavid.

This would be nice but I ain't holding my breath.

I'm not sure what your obsession is here.

And I already admitted I was wrong. I was no longer claiming that my original point was correct. I was just furthering the other poster's point after I found that part of my "research" interesting.

That may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but I remember talk of lotteries when Pittsburgh tanked for Lemieux.

Yep.

After NJ & the Pens made a shameless run for Mario there was a LOT of discussion about implementing a lottery. The Otters managed to seal the deal, but sentiment started in the '80's.

Thomas Vanek will miss his third consecutive game on Thursday.

Things have not gone well for Vanek or the Isles since he was acquired in an October blockbuster from Buffalo. The Austrian sniper has three points in six games — just one goal — and the Islanders are 3-5-0 since bringing him aboard.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/14/vanek-to-miss-third-straight-for-isles/

Thomas Vanek will miss his third consecutive game on Thursday.

Things have not gone well for Vanek or the Isles since he was acquired in an October blockbuster from Buffalo. The Austrian sniper has three points in six games — just one goal — and the Islanders are 3-5-0 since bringing him aboard.

http://prohockeytalk...ight-for-isles/

Regier studied under the most famous of Islander GMs.. I hear he's available in case they need a change.

• 2 weeks later...

Islanders lose again tonight. How high does this 1st round pick have to be for them to defer to next season?

Top 10, but they could choose not to. I don't really care what they do. I highly doubt they are picking number one next year anyways. Tavares alone is enough to keep them from being number one.

I mean, I'd like a little added chance at McDavid, but I don't think it'll matter what they do.

10th or better, I believe.

Top 10, but they could choose not to. I don't really care what they do. I highly doubt they are picking number one next year anyways. Tavares alone is enough to keep them from being number one.

I mean, I'd like a little added chance at McDavid, but I don't think it'll matter what they do.

No, I mean how high does it have to be for them to *decide* they want to defer. There's no way they'd let us keep a top 5 pick right?

Maybe they'd let us keep a 6-10 pick, if only to make sure we don't have both their 1st round and 2nd round picks next year (along with their chance of getting MacDavid if they suck again).

No, I mean how high does it have to be for them to *decide* they want to defer. There's no way they'd let us keep a top 5 pick right?

Maybe they'd let us keep a 6-10 pick, if only to make sure we don't have both their 1st round and 2nd round picks next year (along with their chance of getting MacDavid if they suck again).

If they're convinced that Vanek is gone and they aren't going to be a landing spot for anybody worthwhile, I could see them giving up any pick that isn't top 3 possibly. But I think they'll defer if it's anywhere from 1-10.

It'd be interesting to here if the deferral comes before or after the lottery. Do they have to decide at the end of the year or lottery? I assume lottery but has it been reported when it'll come?

It'd be interesting to here if the deferral comes before or after the lottery. Do they have to decide at the end of the year or lottery? I assume lottery but has it been reported when it'll come?

They have the right to defer right up until its time for them to use the pick.

That's actually pretty rough for us. It's a lot harder to plan when you don't even know if you have a pick right then. If we knew we had the pick, we could work on deals to move up or down (or for players).

Until the Islanders are due to pick on draft day? So the Sabres could be sitting there and suddenly be informed that they have 10 minutes to decide on, say, the number 8 pick?

Sounds strange but possible.

Thought there was no way this was true. Turns out it pretty much is.

In the NHL, pick deferral has to be decided TWO PICKS before the selection is made. That's ridiculously dumb.

At least that's what Columbus had to do: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-05-10/news/sns-rt-hkn-jackets-team-reportsx7daa0a1-20120509_1_columbus-blue-jackets-los-angeles-kings-scott-howson

Edited by DStebb

Sorry Sabrespace I'm 100% certain I read/heard/watched that a day or so after news of the deferral option broke.

But I can't find it anywhere, so maybe it was a radio report, or someone speculating, as opposed to a news story.

Check my post. The Blue Jackets had to submit their decision two picks before the LA Kings selection. And they ended up choosing to defer the draft pick while the first round was going on.

I'd assume, unless it's a top three pick, that the Isles would wait as late as they can to make the decision because you never know who might fall.

Edited by DStebb

Check my post. The Blue Jackets had to submit their decision two picks before the LA Kings selection. And they ended up choosing to defer the draft pick while the first round was going on.

I'd assume, unless it's a top three pick, that the Isles would wait as late as they can to make the decision because you never know who might fall.

Yes, thank you. That was a good find.

But I am positive what I heard/read/saw was specifically referring to the Vanek deal.

Maybe Darcy or Ted in a presser, or WGR interview?

Yes, thank you. That was a good find.

But I am positive what I heard/read/saw was specifically referring to the Vanek deal.

Maybe Darcy or Ted in a presser, or WGR interview?

Might've been somewhere in WGR. Darcy never addressed it in the presser because that news didn't break until later. And then Patty has never addressed the trade I believe. Would be interested to see if it's the same.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.