Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

According to NHL point equivalency methods, Connor McDavid, who already has 45 points in 27 games for Erie, could be a 40 point player in the NHL. At age 16.

I think we should be prepared to do anything to select this kid.

How exactly do they calculate these conversion factors? Is it based on all players who are in junior one year and then the NHL the next year?

According to NHL point equivalency methods, Connor McDavid, who already has 45 points in 27 games for Erie, could be a 40 point player in the NHL. At age 16.

I honestly won't even let myself picture this kid on the Sabres because you know, you just KNOW it's not gonna happen right?

I honestly won't even let myself picture this kid on the Sabres because you know, you just KNOW it's not gonna happen right?

Yep. Wishful thinking for sure and there are other good players in the draft other than him. But with Nolan's talk of keeping Miller and a new GM likely wanting to put a mark on this team with a boat load of money available and us so far under the cap, I can't see us being this bad again next year. I could still see us ending up around 5-15 (worst) so there would be a small shot at winning the lottery but come on, we're Buffalo sports fans, we know how it ends.

Yep. Wishful thinking for sure and there are other good players in the draft other than him. But with Nolan's talk of keeping Miller and a new GM likely wanting to put a mark on this team with a boat load of money available and us so far under the cap, I can't see us being this bad again next year. I could still see us ending up around 5-15 (worst) so there would be a small shot at winning the lottery but come on, we're Buffalo sports fans, we know how it ends.

"And with the first overall pick, the Pittsburgh Penguins select....Connor McDavid."

And now everyone seems to be speculating about expansion so knowing the Sabres luck they'd come in last and lose the pick to an expansion team.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

That would be the Sabres luck, but it's safe to say that any expansion would take at least two years to put together and then another year or two to get the teams there with owners, etc. So they should be safe in that aspect.

Edited by DStebb

I stopped believing in jinxes when my mom stopped writing Santa on my Christmas presents.

In that case, thanks for getting people's hopes up for something more 18 months away that almost certainly won't happen anyway.

Reminds me of getting excited about the "Buffalo Tower" artist renderings back in 2007:

01jh3.jpg

Edited by Robviously

You've tried to reverse jinx us at least the last two years and failed miserably. I'm willing to take the risk on optimism! :P

There's a big difference between attempting a reverse jinx and predicting exactly what ended up happening two years in a row.

The odds say we probably don't draft first in EITHER of the next two drafts. And I don't think we're destined to finish last in the league this year or next either. The Sabres are playing better and still have good goaltending.

Edited by Robviously

Thing is, even if we whiff on both lotteries, there is no franchise player this year, and Eichel looks like one next year after McDavid anyway. Win or lose we should get top six forwards both years.

Drafting second doesn't seem like a disaster either year. There's no big drop-off after Reinhart in 2014 and Eichel is available right after McDavid in 2015. Of course, to be assured at least the no.2 pick, you need to finish with the worst record in the league and that's pretty hard to do.

In that case, thanks for getting people's hopes up for something more 18 months away that almost certainly won't happen anyway.

Reminds me of getting excited about the "Buffalo Tower" artist renderings back in 2007:

01jh3.jpg

Are you really that upset about this? It literally was just a fun little photoshop. It wasn't a prediction. It wasn't anything but a photoshop based on something I would like to happen. I took a little break from studying. Relax.

And people continue to ignore that while percentages are against us, we still have a better chance than any other team (at the moment) to get the first pick this year. So while are odds aren't great, others are worse.

My computer screwing up and won't let me quote things, but in response to DStebb,

What if they pick top 3? I know it's unlikely they'd defer at that point, but they may swing Vanek for a 1st or something so you never know

I'd assume that they would have to decide just prior to the first pick coming onto the clock then. So anytime before the beginning of the draft.

What would Grigorenko score in the NHL based on his draft year Q numbers?

Also DStebb, your mom stopped writing "from Santa" on your Christmas presents? That is horrible!

Edited by ubkev

Have you confirmed this or are you just speculating again?

That's what the requirement for the Columbus Blue Jackets was from the league when they had the option to defer LA's pick. Columbus made the decision to defer at the last moment, as well. So I'd expect the Isles to take their time.

Also DStebb, your mom stopped writing "from Santa" on your Christmas presents? That is horrible!

She just writes "the local coal mine" now. Heck, what am I saying? I don't even get coal for Christmas now.

Edited by DStebb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.