Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

FC releases December ranking for 2014 NHL Draft

Aaron Ekblad has successfully defended his title.

Overtaking Sam Reinhart for top spot in Future Considerations’ ranking for the 2014 NHL Draft a month ago, the 17-year-old Ekblad remains a top the chart in December. The Barrie Colts defenseman has been superb this season in Ontario Hockey League action. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound rearguard has nine goals and 23 points in 26 games this season.

“Ekblad has continued to play his steady game as he leads the Colts,” scouting director Dan Stewart said. “He contributes offensively both at five-on-five and as the point man with the booming shot on the power play all the while improving his play in his own zone over the last month.”

Reinhart remains in second place behind Ekblad.

Prince Albert Raiders center Leon Draisaitl has jumped into top-3 consideration after continually impressing this season. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Cologne, German native has ripped apart the Western Hockey League, recording 15 goals and 27 points in 42 games.

“Although the top of this draft is considered pretty fluid, Draisaitl has started to really push himself to the forefront and is now considered a real threat to Sam Reinhart as top WHL prospect,” Stewart said. “After a strong month of November, Draisatl has forced us to boost his ranking as a result.”

Swedish pivot William Nylander, who has consistently been ranked in the top-5 all year, sits fourth, one spot ahead Kingston Frontenacs forward Sam Bennett.

Oshawa Generals forward Michael Dal Colle remains sixth, while Brendan Perlini continues his climb, making his debut in the top-10 at seven. Nick Ritchie, Haydn Fleury and Roland McKeown — the second of two Frontenacs in the top-10 — are also ranked in the upper-end o the first round.

I love how fluid the early draft rankings are because it lets us get excited over different players. Interesting to see Draisaitl climb and interesting more that Reinhart's game has not progressed as much.

Quick note on that article which doesn't add up... Leon Draisaitl has 11g, 24a for 35pts in 26games this season. I have no idea where they get "has ripped apart the Western Hockey League, recording 15 goals and 27 points in 42 games."

Edited by LGR4GM

I love how fluid the early draft rankings are because it lets us get excited over different players. Interesting to see Draisaitl climb and interesting more that Reinhart's game has not progressed as much.

Quick note on that article which doesn't add up... Leon Draisaitl has 11g, 24a for 35pts in 26games this season. I have no idea where they get "has ripped apart the Western Hockey League, recording 15 goals and 27 points in 42 games."

See I'm the opposite. If we're going to suck big this year, I want there to be that clear #1 sitting there for us. Oh well, let's hope there are a few good ones at the top.

Thanks for the update on Draisaitl's stats as I was shocked when I saw them. How could someone be ripping up the WHL with 27 points in 42 games? I know stats arn't everything but It makes me feel better about him having over a point a game average in juniors.

See I'm the opposite. If we're going to suck big this year, I want there to be that clear #1 sitting there for us. Oh well, let's hope there are a few good ones at the top.

Thanks for the update on Draisaitl's stats as I was shocked when I saw them. How could someone be ripping up the WHL with 27 points in 42 games? I know stats arn't everything but It makes me feel better about him having over a point a game average in juniors.

Well I would too but that isn't the case. As for Reinhart versus Draisaitl, we will have to wait to see how the season plays out.

Draisaitl's current stat line: 15g 27a 42pts in 28 GP this season.

And just for fun...

Michael Dal Colle: 18g, 28a for 46pts in 27games. He is still my favorite.

Yes it appears elite is behind and DB is more up to date.

Michael Dal Colle: 18g, 30a, 48pts in 29gp

Sam Reinhart: 16g, 30a, 46pts in 29gp

That sounds even better....

And just for fun...

Michael Dal Colle: 18g, 28a for 46pts in 27games. He is still my favorite.

Yes it appears elite is behind and DB is more up to date.

Michael Dal Colle: 18g, 30a, 48pts in 29gp

Sam Reinhart: 16g, 30a, 46pts in 29gp

I absolutely love him. And this isn't coming from someone reading stats and watching a few youtube clips, I watch him regularily. Having said that, I would prefer drafting a centre over a winger.

The father of Leon Draisaitl, Peter Draisaitl, was a very good player for my favorite German hockey team Adler Mannheim (Jochens home team as well).

You pronounce the name as you read it. In English more like dreyeseyetl. ai in German = eye in English. I hope this helps.

I would really like him on our team.

The father of Leon Draisaitl, Peter Draisaitl, was a very good player for my favorite German hockey team Adler Mannheim (Jochens home team as well).

You pronounce the name as you read it. In English more like dreyeseyetl. ai in German = eye in English. I hope this helps.

I would really like him on our team.

Das ist richtig!

ei = eye

ie = ee

Way too early, and you have to take the best player.

But the system needs a top-six winger far more than a top-six centre, or top-four defenceman.

Really?! :blink:

This team has not had a legit #1 centre since the Briere and Drury in their prime days. I'm one of the Hodgson supporters but only because I think he'll be a great fit as a second line centre. I'm not saying the guys mentioned are top line caliber players or not but saying this system needs a top six winger over centre is ridiculous IMO.

Edited by Derrico

This team has not had a legit #1 centre since the Briere and Drury in their prime days. I'm one of the Hodgson supporters but only because I think he'll be a great fit as a second line centre. I'm not saying the guys mentioned are top line caliber players or not but saying this system needs a top six winger over centre is ridiculous IMO.

Yup. As long as this team lacks centers you take centers. It's like taking a quarterback in football.

I'd argue you need to go even further than that. The team could go the way of the Briere - Drury days and keep getting centers, that team had three #2 centers. But to get to a bonafide #1 I'd argue you need to go further than Peca and talk about our new President of Hockey Operations.

Regardless of how we define #1 center, we still don;t have one. So we need to keep drafting centers til we find one or do the Drury/Briere thing and collect 3 or 4 number twos.

I'd argue you need to go even further than that. The team could go the way of the Briere - Drury days and keep getting centers, that team had three #2 centers. But to get to a bonafide #1 I'd argue you need to go further than Peca and talk about our new President of Hockey Operations.

Regardless of how we define #1 center, we still don;t have one. So we need to keep drafting centers til we find one or do the Drury/Briere thing and collect 3 or 4 number twos.

Ya, that could be argued and I agree with all of this.

I'm not arguing that we don't need a number one centre, or that we should avoid one in the draft.

I was just pointing out that Armia is the only player in the system that projects as a first or second line winger.

We have Hodgson and Grigorenko who project as top two centres.

Girgensons and Compher could also project as top two line players and were drafted as centres, but they could just as easily play on the wing.

We are loaded on defence.

There is a current clear number one forward in Reinhart. That could change but nothing so far indicates that'll change.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.