Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

The hole we dug is big, but not big enough, we'll draft top 3, but can't see us ending bottom of the league.

Well maybe a miller trade will fix my worries.

I'll actually be surprised if they draft in the top 3 now. The heroic march away from the top pick is well underway again. We've seen this movie before.

Edited by Robviously

I'll actually be surprised if they draft in the top 3 now. The heroic march away from the top pick is well underway again. We've seen this movie before.

Dude, the top pick is a lottery. We weren't going to win it if we finished last. Our chances will be better now. :angel:

Dude, the top pick is a lottery. We weren't going to win it if we finished last. Our chances will be better now. :angel:

No.

Right? So torn watching this team improve. I'd be more okay if it were the actual future of the team outside of Girgensons doing it all then I'd be more excited. But it's Ryan Miller (who I am still willing to bet will be gone within a few months) carrying this team for the most part. (Don't jump on me, I know that a lot of players are playing at a high level in front of him).

Luckily Rolston had this team down so low that we'll still likely be at worst at five.

Right? So torn watching this team improve. I'd be more okay if it were the actual future of the team outside of Girgensons doing it all then I'd be more excited. But it's Ryan Miller (who I am still willing to bet will be gone within a few months) carrying this team for the most part. (Don't jump on me, I know that a lot of players are playing at a high level in front of him).

Luckily Rolston had this team down so low that we'll still likely be at worst at five.

I agree with most of this.

Looking forward to the World Junior Championship, anyone know where I can stream it?

Relative to the draft though, seems there's a pretty prominent goalie playing for USA, Thatcher Demko, who's coming out this draft.

"2014 draft watch -- Boston College goalie Thatcher Demko is the lone A-rated player on NHL Central Scouting's December players to watch list for the 2014 NHL Draft to make the team. Demko is the youngest player in the NCAA ranks, and the native of San Diego, Calif., is 4-1-1 with a 2.31 goals-against average and .911 save percentage in six games."

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

Here's another good article on him,

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=692442

Career Stats:

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/page/show/1056431-thatcher-demko

I don't think I'd take him in the first round, but with the bevy of 2nd round picks we have, why not?

EDIT: Found the stream link (nhl.com), and the schedule for anyone interested

http://worldjuniors.usahockey.com/

Edited by WildCard

Sure and sometimes they are the worst team in the league because they ARE tanking.

I'm torn on the idea of tanking because i truly don't believe in it too much. Darcy tried to do the closest thing to tanking with the Sabres, by forming a young team that wasn't NHL ready. But, i don't really believe he knew they'd be that bad and there isn't any evidence that suggests losing in the fashion as they did was his plan.

I also don't believe Ron Rolston would sacrifice his career and legacy as a NHL head coach to go along Darcy's plan as his puppet and lose. Losing is contagious, and i don't think neither RR or DR really were willing to ruin Girgensons, Myers and some other kids just for the simple fact of getting Reinhart and McDavid. Theres no way DR/RR felt they had 4-5 years to work with.

And i will never buy that players tank. These are athletes who have been playing to win at a very high level since they were kids. No way do they start now to play soft so the team they are on now, will be getting a McDavid, just in time for that player to be kicked to another organization.

What PLF and Nolan are doing now is the exact perfect plan. You teach these guys to play hard. "Kill for each other" so to speak. They need to develop guys and see who out of this group is good enough to carry over into next season and to the future. This is the tryout season. Its very important to lose but also important to develop our youngsters. Give it a month or so, and there will be some very tough decisions to be made. They will have had enough time to see some of these guys play and it will be time to make decisions on Ott, Moulson and Miller. It will also be near the end of the season and will be time to start bringing in some other talent, such as Grigorenko, back into the lineup, once you've established an idea of where the current guys are at.

Is that "tanking" or is that just a wise-organiztional decision to see and develop some other talent for the next season and beyond?

hate nba idea

most teams tank BECAUSE their team already sucks

I think the NHL has a good system

the system is designed to REWARD s####y teams, to bring the teams back up to par... it's a good sytem and would be stupid to abandon it after all these seasons of NHL hockey

I'm all for tanking this year, winning would truly be a waste.

Sabres NEED a high-pick to be a contender (basically)

Sabres only have like what ten wins?

Why not grab the system by the balls

Maybe they could do some sort of revenue thing? Keep it even for every team that makes the playoffs, but then fluctuate it in order for the teams that miss the playoffs. It obviously couldn't be a major difference, but it would be at least a little incentive not to tank. Wouldn't ever pass, but hey why not?

(Would have to factor in that a lot of teams that have trouble with revenue also have trouble with winning so they'd get double-whammied).

Was nice to get a look at a few of the guys we may be looking at with our top pick this year this morning in the Canada/Germany WJC game. My impressions:

Reinhart played wing on what was probably Canada's 1B line with Horvat and McDavid. Part of the second power play and a PK regular as well. Very smart player, not afraid of traffic either. Average speed, good skill, not flashy but protects and moves the puck well. Responsible, goes to the right spots. I was surprised at how good he looked defensively. Just a real sound hockey player who could easily play centre.

Ekblad played on probably the top defence pairing with Derek Pouliot. He was the support guy of the pair. He also played PK and some PP. Very smooth and polished - nothing flashy, no mistakes. Looks to have the skill package. Plays a controlled, safe game. Style-wise looked a bit like Hank Tallinder when Hank was at the top of his game. Nothing the German forwards did seem to challenge him much. I'd like to see him against better players.

Draisaitl has a pretty obvious size/skill package, but his game was relatively ineffective. Tried some one on one stuff with limited success. Didn't use his teammates well. Looked like he may have been putting too much pressure on himself. That said, I think he has NHL top six skills and probably would have looked better with better line mates.

From one game between mismatched opponents, I definitely pick Reinhart. Don't think he's a franchise guy, but he's a guy you can win with.

PS: McDavid is the real thing - skill and effort. Definitely a superstar in the making.

Edited by dudacek

Watching Czech/Canada and getting mad at the Sabres for their mad dash to 22nd last year.

Jonathan Drouin has sick skills. I think I hate Ron Rolston.

Sam Reinhart is my kind of hockey player - smartest, most effective player on the ice.

Only two games but I am starting to think his worth has been underplayed. Ekblad is nowhere near him.

I want this kid. We will need that first pick to get him.

Fire Nolan now. ;-)

Watching Czech/Canada and getting mad at the Sabres for their mad dash to 22nd last year.

Jonathan Drouin has sick skills. I think I hate Ron Rolston.

Sam Reinhart is my kind of hockey player - smartest, most effective player on the ice.

Only two games but I am starting to think his worth has been underplayed. Ekblad is nowhere near him.

I want this kid. We will need that first pick to get him.

Fire Nolan now. ;-)

Rasmus Ristolainen is pretty good too.

I'm more convinced than ever McDavid is absolutely worth enduring one more abysmal season to land, even if it is at best a 25% chance. Reinhart and McDavid (or at least Eichel)? Plus the pieces already on the team or in the system? That's a hell of a foundation.

If you finish last, you're guaranteed a top two pick. So finishing last next year guarantees you one of the two great players in next year's draft. Obviously McDavid is strongly preferred.

If you finish last, you're guaranteed a top two pick. So finishing last next year guarantees you one of the two great players in next year's draft. Obviously McDavid is strongly preferred.

Who is the other? Not being sarcastic; I haven't heard of anyone but McDavid for the 2015 draft, although I hear it's incredibly talented

Who is the other? Not being sarcastic; I haven't heard of anyone but McDavid for the 2015 draft, although I hear it's incredibly talented

Eichel is suppose to be a franchise type talent. Mcdavid is the generational type player if he hits his potential but there are 4 or 5 great forward prospects in next years draft.

Eichel is suppose to be a franchise type talent. Mcdavid is the generational type player if he hits his potential but there are 4 or 5 great forward prospects in next years draft.

Thanks, definitely a comforting feeling knowing our hopes aren't pinned to McDavid (draft wise that is...although we could argue more than that)

Some good conversations concerning Eichel on this board

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1316111

We aren't finishing last this year and we sure as hell aren't finishing last next year. Maybe the Islanders pick will turn into gold for us in 2015 but I think we can shelve the daydreaming about first overall picks for now.

I wouldn't let a little winning streak fool you. This team is bad and if they truly want top picks the next two years you will see that accomplished by trading Ott, Moulson, and especially Miller.

Even with Miller he will not be able to keep up this pace. After Sochi he is going to be tired and the NHL schedule averages a game less than every 2 days.

Every game we are so out skilled its crazy. We will crash back to earth.

We aren't finishing last this year and we sure as hell aren't finishing last next year. Maybe the Islanders pick will turn into gold for us in 2015 but I think we can shelve the daydreaming about first overall picks for now.

Well... Ryan Miller hasn't signed an extension yet. You take Ryan Miller off this team, and we might have trouble winning ten games. Hence: trade Miller. Please.

But, consolation for my fellow tankers, there's little chance that we aren't picking in the top five this year. The deficit is just too much at this point.

Edited by DStebb

Well... Ryan Miller hasn't signed an extension yet. You take Ryan Miller off this team, and we might have trouble winning ten games. Hence: trade Miller. Please.

But, consolation for my fellow tankers, there's little chance that we aren't picking in the top five this year. The deficit is just too much at this point.

Miller is on fire and I think they're going to try to re-sign him. And there's more than half a season left. Plenty of time to move up the standings.

People forget that we were dead last in the NHL on January 1st, 2011 too. We drafted 16th that summer.

Miller is on fire and I think they're going to try to re-sign him. And there's more than half a season left. Plenty of time to move up the standings.

People forget that we were dead last in the NHL on January 1st, 2011 too. We drafted 16th that summer.

I think they'll try. And I still think he's going to say no and leave. People keep saying the team has improved and he'll like that, but I don't think he's going to want to have to be superman every single night.

I think they'll try. And I still think he's going to say no and leave. People keep saying the team has improved and he'll like that, but I don't think he's going to want to have to be superman every single night.

If we wait until the trade deadline (March 5th) to trade him, that's PLENTY of time for him to help dig us out of the basement in the standings. The team is still incredibly awful, but right now he's good enough to cancel that out completely. The Sabres could easily be a bad team with a winning record in their last 43 games.

2014 is going to be 2011 all over again. We're going to finish strong, and we'll probably draft 6th - 10th. And then we'll probalby be terrible again to start 2014-2015, and fans will be surprised. Fun.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.