Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

That's a tough decision. I always believe in BPA but I love what Dal Colle can do around the net. I guess I haven't seen enough Barrie Colts games to make an accurate judgement of him. If our scouting staff think Ekblad is much better than the next highest ranked forward I hope we go with the big Dman, if it's close I hope we go with the forward.

That's how I feel--it all depends on the gap in overall talent. If Ekblad is a 9.0 and Dal Colle an 8.8, I take the forward. But if the difference is more like 9.0 to 8.0? I have to take the higher end talent.

Right now from what I have read and watched, Ekblad is a 9 and Dal Colle's stock keeps rising but currently I would say 8.5

That being said I only see highlights and parts of games so I can only go with my gut. Ekblad is a very solid 2 way defender who looks to be more offensive orientated than defensive. Great on his skates. He uses his body well but I wouldn't say he will drop guys like McNabb or Zadorov. He has 10 goals in 29games and has a really nice shot. Dal Colle is rugged. He works hard and has a decent shot. He needs to bulk up. The main thing I take away from Dal Colle is he seems smart in what he does, he moves to open areas and gets his shots off quick. They both seem to be able to slow things down when needed, Ekblad a little more so. It is hard to compare them directly because of the position difference. Over all Dal Colle brings something this team lacks and I think Ekblad brings more big puck moving defender.

Something to keep an eye on as the season goes on. I truly believe we end up drafting second which may turn out better in the long run.

Lets say that those are the rankings come June at least the top 5. If a team wins the lottery and takes Reinhart, should the Sabres do what happened in this past draft and actively pass on a defender? Would you pass on Ekblad at #2 to take Dal Colle because we need much more scoring and offense?

What do you mean by actively passing on a defender? Do you mean after the first round?

And I'd talk to whoever is at 3/4 and see what they're willing to give up to make the move for Ekblad. If either of them offers you an extra 2nd, 3rd or 4th then I take it and let them have Ekblad. Or, if it's clear prior to the draft that the number one team will take Reinhart and won't swap 1 for 2, then I call teams around the league trying to move one of Ehrhoff or a younger dman (excluding Zadorov) for some valuable pieces. I don't just sell them off, but I try to get a good deal. Then take Ekblad to replace them.

I'd see what #3 or #4 wants to give up for #2 (Eckblad).

And I'd talk to whoever is at 3/4 and see what they're willing to give up to make the move for Ekblad. If either of them offers you an extra 2nd, 3rd or 4th then I take it and let them have Ekblad. Or, if it's clear prior to the draft that the number one team will take Reinhart and won't swap 1 for 2, then I call teams around the league trying to move one of Ehrhoff or a younger dman (excluding Zadorov) for some valuable pieces. I don't just sell them off, but I try to get a good deal. Then take Ekblad to replace them.

That sounds like a pretty good idea! :) :)

Right now from what I have read and watched, Ekblad is a 9 and Dal Colle's stock keeps rising but currently I would say 8.5

That being said I only see highlights and parts of games so I can only go with my gut. Ekblad is a very solid 2 way defender who looks to be more offensive orientated than defensive. Great on his skates. He uses his body well but I wouldn't say he will drop guys like McNabb or Zadorov. He has 10 goals in 29games and has a really nice shot. Dal Colle is rugged. He works hard and has a decent shot. He needs to bulk up. The main thing I take away from Dal Colle is he seems smart in what he does, he moves to open areas and gets his shots off quick. They both seem to be able to slow things down when needed, Ekblad a little more so. It is hard to compare them directly because of the position difference. Over all Dal Colle brings something this team lacks and I think Ekblad brings more big puck moving defender.

Something to keep an eye on as the season goes on. I truly believe we end up drafting second which may turn out better in the long run.

What do you mean by the bolded? Not a fan of Reinhart?

Edited by Derrico

If we end up with the #2 pick and Reinhart is taken #1, I look to Edmonton for a trade. And not just in picks mind you. I'd look to move a young stud d man with the pick for a chance at one of Eberle or Yakupov, that is, if they are game for it.

What I am hoping for is a crack at another top 5 pick this draft. Without having to give up the 1st overall. What that would require can be up for debate for sure. But any one of Dal Colle, Leon Draisaitl or Nick Ritchie.

It would be nice to have a winger to go along with Reinhart.

That sounds like a pretty good idea! :) :)

I was more thorough (because I used more words). :flirt: :P

He's a big fan of Dal Colle. He said once that drafting 3/4 is better than picking number 1 this year. He seems to have not meant that completely, but he just really likes Dal Colle. Which is understandable as Dal Colle does look like a fantastic prospect.

If we end up with the #2 pick and Reinhart is taken #1, I look to Edmonton for a trade. And not just in picks mind you. I'd look to move a young stud d man with the pick for a chance at one of Eberle or Yakupov, that is, if they are game for it.

What I am hoping for is a crack at another top 5 pick this draft. Without having to give up the 1st overall. What that would require can be up for debate for sure. But any one of Dal Colle, Leon Draisaitl or Nick Ritchie.

It would be nice to have a winger to go along with Reinhart.

It'd be VERY tough for this team to not draft in the top five this year. The sixth place team is 15 points ahead (5th place is 14 points ahead). Almost double our current number of points nearly halfway through the year.

And, if Reinhart was off the board, and Edmonton offered any of Eberle, Hall or Nugent-Hopkins for our pick then I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd also give them Ristolainen for any of those players and then take Ekblad to replace Risto. I do really like Ekblad, but I wouldn't want him unless we can acquire a young forward elsewhere.

Edited by DStebb

What do you mean by actively passing on a defender? Do you mean after the first round?

No I mean passing on Ekblad to take a forward just as teams passed on Jones to take Barkov/Drouin

I wouldn't trade Zadorov for Ekblad. Zadorov has a swagger about him I think is actually very rare and very valuable. I also think that Zadorov's potential is unknown even now.

Reinhart is 8 months older than Dal Colle. I like Dal Colle's style more than Reinhart.

And, if Reinhart was off the board, and Edmonton offered any of Eberle, Hall or Nugent-Hopkins for our pick then I'd do it in a heartbeat. I'd also give them Ristolainen for any of those players and then take Ekblad to replace Risto. I do really like Ekblad, but I wouldn't want him unless we can acquire a young forward elsewhere.

The question was though what if your choice is Ekblad or Dal Colle (or any forward not Reinhart) and you can't trade down or around. You can take Ekblad or Dal Colle. Which do you choose and why? This isn't well I would take X because I can do Y. This is simply player A or B and why.

No I mean passing on Ekblad to take a forward just as teams passed on Jones to take Barkov/Drouin

I wouldn't trade Zadorov for Ekblad. Zadorov has a swagger about him I think is actually very rare and very valuable. I also think that Zadorov's potential is unknown even now.

The question was though what if your choice is Ekblad or Dal Colle (or any forward not Reinhart) and you can't trade down or around. You can take Ekblad or Dal Colle. Which do you choose and why? This isn't well I would take X because I can do Y. This is simply player A or B and why.

No, I wouldn't. I think the difference between the top two is bigger than people think. But you can't ignore the "X because I can do Y." Because if you draft Ekblad, you move somebody else. So you have to consider the fact that a trade would be forthcoming with the pick happening like that.

And reread my post, I said EXCLUDING Zadorov. I wouldn't trade him. I'd rather have Ekblad than Risto, though.

No, I wouldn't. I think the difference between the top two is bigger than people think. But you can't ignore the "X because I can do Y." Because if you draft Ekblad, you move somebody else. So you have to consider the fact that a trade would be forthcoming with the pick happening like that.

And reread my post, I said EXCLUDING Zadorov. I wouldn't trade him. I'd rather have Ekblad than Risto, though.

We can ignore X for Y talk because we don't get to make those decisions and I was trying to see how ppl were leaning as far as what if Reinhart is gone and at the draft our only choice is Ekblad or Other.

Yes, you said excluding... which is why I said I wouldn't trade Zadorov for Ekblad etc. I was agreeing that I think Zadorov should be retained.

It will be months before I will have firm opinions on this but Dal Colle is an intriguing prospect.

I'm going to be very interested to see how Dal Colle plays over the next month. Scott Laughton may be the best player in the OHL IMO and he's heading to Sweden to play in the World Juniors so how will Dal Colle (his linemate) fair? I'm confident he will still put up points as he did early in the year before Laughton rejoined the team but it will give some insite into just how much Dal Colle benefits from playing with Laughton.

Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice was interviewed after practice at the 2014 Team Canada Selection Camp. Reinhart is our top rated prospect for the 2014 NHL Draft which takes place in Philadelphia in June. Sam talks about playing with his older brother Griffin and making a switch from Centre to the wing.

http://youtu.be/0-JSQU-ucGU

according to this guy (whose pedigree i don't know (but i followed him for a reason, i am sure)), reinhart may be the only NHL ready player available in 2014.

https://twitter.com/...675532203888640

Wouldn't be surprised. He is older for his class so that helps with that. I do like Reinhart and his ability to play C or RW so like I said we will have to see how it goes. WJC should be a good indication of things.

Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice was interviewed after practice at the 2014 Team Canada Selection Camp. Reinhart is our top rated prospect for the 2014 NHL Draft which takes place in Philadelphia in June. Sam talks about playing with his older brother Griffin and making a switch from Centre to the wing.

Maybe it's just me, but you really should be putting this stuff in quotes and probably citing the stuff if you are just going to take another person's work/words and post them.

We can ignore X for Y talk because we don't get to make those decisions and I was trying to see how ppl were leaning as far as what if Reinhart is gone and at the draft our only choice is Ekblad or Other.

Yes, you said excluding... which is why I said I wouldn't trade Zadorov for Ekblad etc. I was agreeing that I think Zadorov should be retained.

Well if they were going to draft a player and not doing anything within the organization to act accordingly with the addition of the player, I'd have a tough time making the decision but would likely go with a forward still.

I'm going to be very interested to see how Dal Colle plays over the next month. Scott Laughton may be the best player in the OHL IMO and he's heading to Sweden to play in the World Juniors so how will Dal Colle (his linemate) fair? I'm confident he will still put up points as he did early in the year before Laughton rejoined the team but it will give some insite into just how much Dal Colle benefits from playing with Laughton.

Extremely good point. Dal Colle played well before Laughton came back, but if he leaves now and Dal Colle struggles than it would severely lessen my interest in him.

according to this guy (whose pedigree i don't know (but i followed him for a reason, i am sure)), reinhart may be the only NHL ready player available in 2014.

https://twitter.com/coreypronman/status/412675532203888640

He's likely right with Ekblad being the only other one that, from what I've seen so far, I would even consider putting in the NHL right away.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.