Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Vanek is a good to a star player on a team but he is not a star player himself. Sabres will do their home work and draft the best guy on the board. As much as I did not like how Darcy Regier managed talent on the team, his last 2 drafts have set the Sabres up for a better future. They might be better served in signing a free agent center in the off season (2nd or 3rd line) to give them depth. Miller will be moved and they could get a prospect along with a draft pick or 2. The trade deadline and Spring's draft will reshape the team and I am looking forward to it.

I'm confused. The isles can defer the pick until next year?

Yes. Was reported a day or two after the deal. They can defer it if it's top 10. I assume they won't unless it's top 5. I don't see them risking the embarrassment of losing a true elite player next year if they continue to go back downward.

If for some reason Edmonton does pick before us and they pick Reinhart, so be it, you take the best player you can even if that is ekblad.

In that case you trade Myers, McCabe for young forwards. The league is desperate for defense and it puts you in a position of strength.

Personally i like a Defensive core of Pysyk, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Ekblad, Erhoff going forward.

If for some reason Edmonton does pick before us and they pick Reinhart, so be it, you take the best player you can even if that is ekblad.

In that case you trade Myers, McCabe for young forwards. The league is desperate for defense and it puts you in a position of strength.

Personally i like a Defensive core of Pysyk, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Ekblad, Erhoff going forward.

If you take Ekblad, you don't have to trade guys like Myers and McCabe. Imagine a core of Myers, Ekblad, Pysyk, Zadorov, Risto and McCabe? McNabb, Weber, JGL, Ruhwedel add depth and pretty much lock up a good top six. I'm a big Ehrhoff fan, but I'd trade him first. Especially the way Myers has played lately (and I have been vocal in the past about trading Myers).

But I would be relatively upset if we ended up with another dman.

If you take Ekblad, you don't have to trade guys like Myers and McCabe. Imagine a core of Myers, Ekblad, Pysyk, Zadorov, Risto and McCabe? McNabb, Weber, JGL, Ruhwedel add depth and pretty much lock up a good top six. I'm a big Ehrhoff fan, but I'd trade him first. Especially the way Myers has played lately (and I have been vocal in the past about trading Myers).

But I would be relatively upset if we ended up with another dman.

So i am thinking Myers, Z and Ruhwedl would make a pretty good forward line. Only a little sarcasm because they would probably be better than who the Sabres are currently using in their top 2 lines. Maybe Errhoff could play up?

Actually, it was Sam's Brother Griffin Reinhart who scored a goal in that game.

My bad, I forgot he was back there. Obviously didn't watch, just checked out the stats mid game. Thanks.

In other prospect news Dal Colle has another OHL special 3 games in 3 nights starting tonight.

Top Shelf Prospects: November Rankings 1-30

1) Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay Ice, (6’0″ 185 lbs): The third member of the Reinhart brothers might be the best of the bunch. Father Paul played for the Calgary Flames in the 1980s. Brother Max is a centre currently making his way through the Flames system, while brother Griffin is a defenceman drafted 4th overall by the Islanders in the 2012 NHL Draft. Sam Reinhart is in his third season with the Kootney Ice and has been a big time producer since he got there. So far this season he has 39 points in 25 games. He was also Canada’s top line center, and team captain in leading the team to the IIHF Under 18 Gold Medal this past spring. Reinhart has excellent hockey sense and vision. He seems to know where the puck is going before it gets there and finds the openings in the defence. He has excellent stickhandling and puck protection skills, which when coupled with his good vision and passing make him an excellent playmaker. His shot could be a little harder and should get there as he gains muscle, but he is deadly accurate and has a great release. He could be a big part of Canada’s World Junior squad in Malmo.

2) Aaron Ekblad, D, Barrie Colts, (6’4″ 215 lbs): Followed John Tavares as the second 15-year-old to be given exceptional status and enter the OHL a year early, Ekblad is also in his third season in the CHL. He has really matured on the Barrie defence, and now is the team’s most important defender playing absolutely huge minutes in every situation. Last season, as a 16-year-old he played top pairing minutes as the team went all the way to the OHL final, only to lose on literally a last second goal, in the third period of game 7. This summer, Ekblad captained Team Canada to another Ivan Hlinka tournament vicotry. He has a bullet slap shot from the point, and a strong first pass. He shows a ton of offensive potential and has 19 points in 22 games this season. With that in mind right now his best assets are a well-developed defensive game, as Ekblad dominates older players physically in his own zone winning board battles and clearing the front of the net. He also has strong positioning and good hockey sense and defensive instincts.

For Ranks 11-20 Click Here

For Ranks 21-30 Click Here

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'm not advocating this, but can you imagine a defence with Myers, Ekblad, Zadorov and Ristolainen?

No one under 6'4" 220. Each one capable of being on the top-unit power play.

With stud defencemen so hard to come by, it certainly would put is in a position to trade for an elite scorer.

Also, given the relatively similar profiles of Reinhart, Dal Colle, Nylander, Draisaitl and Bennett, we are also in a great position to make a trade down with someone who really covets Ekblad.

I'm not advocating this, but can you imagine a defence with Myers, Ekblad, Zadorov and Ristolainen?

No one under 6'4" 220. Each one capable of being on the top-unit power play.

With stud defencemen so hard to come by, it certainly would put is in a position to trade for an elite scorer.

Also, given the relatively similar profiles of Reinhart, Dal Colle, Nylander, Draisaitl and Bennett, we are also in a great position to make a trade down with someone who really covets Ekblad.

I'm a proponent of building from the net out, so I would love a big defense.

I don't know how to pronounce it, which is really strange considering how easy German usually is to sound out from spelling. I don't think his name is German. Maybe Taro can help us out?

Dry-seyetle. You'll hear it as "Dry-sittle" a lot, but both "ai" make a hard i. There was a foreign exchange student from Germany by the name of Alex Draisaitl at a local school. I've known of a Draisaitl and a Colaiacovo.

Edited by DStebb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.