Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I have to LOL at a serious, heated discussion over players that all is directly known about them is a few minutes of highlights.

Hey, I watch Dal Colle regularly :P

Speaking of which he's got another 2 goals and an assist over the two games this weekend so far. Let's see how he does against Windsor tonight....

Edited by Derrico

Video will start to be coming up of the Canadian Junior players. The first one I found is this on Dal Colle. I am hoping to see some updated Reinhart video later this week or next. Usually in november highlight vids from the current season manifest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MubBtfBZGhI

Really really like Dal Colle. I think he's the second best forward in this draft.

Good morning everyone. Surprisingly I am actually in a fairly good mood and thought I would toss out a name for one of our other picks in the 2014 draft. This kid is probably going to be available long after the excitement of the 1st and 2nd rounds end. He is from Cheektowaga and although not offensively a stud it sounds as though he may have a steady stay at home defensive presence.

Just something interesting for Monday

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/nhl-draft-tracker-frank-hora-kitchener-rangers-165219464.html

A player who may be available with the Islanders pick is Nick Ritchie. He is a RW/LW with size and someone else to keep an eye for Buffalo moving forward. This kid has size and he uses it.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/nhl-draft-tracker-nick-ritchie-peterborough-petes-202001449.html

I've pretty much stopped reading up on the top prospects for this draft for now.

The Sabres are doomed to draft in the top ten but probably after all the guys I really like are gone.

Marvin, you have to find some way in which the Sabres drafting 1st ruins your life. Then just hold on to that thought until the lottery.

I've pretty much stopped reading up on the top prospects for this draft for now.

The Sabres are doomed to draft in the top ten but probably after all the guys I really like are gone.

I dunno, the stat about even .500 hockey the rest of the way putting us in the #2 slot according to the standings in the last full season is pretty telling. Do you think we're going to be *better* than .500 the rest of the way? I sure as hell don't.

I dunno, the stat about even .500 hockey the rest of the way putting us in the #2 slot according to the standings in the last full season is pretty telling. Do you think we're going to be *better* than .500 the rest of the way? I sure as hell don't.

Meh. I'm not sure how much historic stuff like that really matters. It really only matters what we do relative to the other sucky teams and I think we'll grind out significantly more points than them the rest of the way.

In 2011-2012, Montreal got the 3rd overall pick with 78 points. The 8th overall pick went to Carolina...with 82 points. The difference between 3rd and 8th was 4 points.

In 2009-2010, Toronto had the 2nd worst record (Bruins got their pick) with 74 points. The 6th and 7th worst were Tampa Bay and Carolina...with 80 points each.

It could easily shake out this way again. The Sabres could suck all year long (just like last year) but still string together just enough wins to push themselves out of the top 5.

Also, in 2010-2011, the Sabres had the worst record in hockey on January 1st. We were literally dead last in the league three months into the season. That would have put us in position to draft Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jonathan Huberdeau, Adam Larsson, or Ryan Strome had we stayed in the top 5. In June 2011 we drafted 16th.

Note to Sabres fans: Stop daydreaming about Reinhart or Draisaitl or Dal Colle or Ekblad or Nylander. There's still plenty of time for a glorious run to 9th place.

So at this point what the reason Reinhart is viewed as the better player over Ekblad, other than the obvious forward vs defensemen aspect? And how far is the gap to guy like Dal Colle?

Tough to say at this point. For what it's worth those two are pretty much the consensus top 2 but i watch dal colle regularity and would be happy to have him in our system. I think reinhart being a centre also really helps his stock.

Tough to say at this point. For what it's worth those two are pretty much the consensus top 2 but i watch dal colle regularity and would be happy to have him in our system. I think reinhart being a centre also really helps his stock.

Are you saying that Reinhart and Dal Colle are pretty much the consensus top two forwards? Because that's not true. I do think I'd have Dal Colle as the second forward, but he's not the consensus guy behind Reinhart. Some have Bennett, Nylander and another name or two all in the mix for that spot.

Are you saying that Reinhart and Dal Colle are pretty much the consensus top two forwards? Because that's not true. I do think I'd have Dal Colle as the second forward, but he's not the consensus guy behind Reinhart. Some have Bennett, Nylander and another name or two all in the mix for that spot.

No I confirmed to him that ekblad and reinhart were top two picks and it's mixed bag after that but I don't think the drop off is huge based on what scouts are saying.

Meh. I'm not sure how much historic stuff like that really matters. It really only matters what we do relative to the other sucky teams and I think we'll grind out significantly more points than them the rest of the way.

In 2011-2012, Montreal got the 3rd overall pick with 78 points. The 8th overall pick went to Carolina...with 82 points. The difference between 3rd and 8th was 4 points.

In 2009-2010, Toronto had the 2nd worst record (Bruins got their pick) with 74 points. The 6th and 7th worst were Tampa Bay and Carolina...with 80 points each.

It could easily shake out this way again. The Sabres could suck all year long (just like last year) but still string together just enough wins to push themselves out of the top 5.

Also, in 2010-2011, the Sabres had the worst record in hockey on January 1st. We were literally dead last in the league three months into the season. That would have put us in position to draft Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Jonathan Huberdeau, Adam Larsson, or Ryan Strome had we stayed in the top 5. In June 2011 we drafted 16th.

Note to Sabres fans: Stop daydreaming about Reinhart or Draisaitl or Dal Colle or Ekblad or Nylander. There's still plenty of time for a glorious run to 9th place.

The margin of error is thin, no doubt. But I don't think we sniff 500 hockey the rest of the way. So there :P

The margin of error is thin, no doubt. But I don't think we sniff 500 hockey the rest of the way. So there :P

Going through the schedule and basically giving them wins against the league's worst teams and then some points sprinkled in elsewhere still only puts us at about 50 points.

Going through the schedule and basically giving them wins against the league's worst teams and then some points sprinkled in elsewhere still only puts us at about 50 points.

My guess is between 55 and 60 but I would certainly sign up for 50. That shoul be good enough for last and thus a top 2 pick.

My guess is between 55 and 60 but I would certainly sign up for 50. That shoul be good enough for last and thus a top 2 pick.

Most likely. I'm more focused on what we'll be doing compared to other teams just ahead of us. In all likeliness, it'd be at least three weeks of very good hockey before we're even out of the bottom four or five.

Edited by DStebb

Don't forget Leon. In fact, Leon could still go #1.

I think it'll take a pretty big turn for anybody other than Reinhart or Ekblad to go number one. But he's in the mix right behind those guys.

You're probably right but a good WJC for him could put him over the top. The thing is, this is Reinhart's third full season in the WHL, while Leon's only second. And Leon is keeping up pace with points.

Also, should be noted, Reinhart's WHL playoff career so far: 9gp, 1g, 2a, -10.

Leon: 4gp, 0g, 4a, -4.

Draisaitl is a more raw player, so if he does rise up the ranks, it won't be til later in the year when scouts have more of a idea about what his game is all about. I am no hockey scout, but i think he is the best player in the draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.