Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Stamkos. Pavelski. Sedins. Ovechkin. Kovalchuk. Tavares. All of these players must be garbage as they haven't won a cup. That is the logic being expounded and it's idiotic. Measuring individual players to cups to draft picks to gms is ludicrous.

Dal Colle, who are his line mates? I want to know if he is generating the offense or just along for the ride.

It's partly his line mates as he plays mainly with Laughton and cassels. He still finishes off plays and looks dominate at times. He goes again tonight so I'll let you know what I see.

I said the argument was idiotic. I'm going to ditch this place for a few days. To much negativity and crazy talk. I reread that conversation. .. the argument was does drafting well mean cups. That is only part of building a cup team and is not the way to judge a gms drafting ability.

Edited by LGR4GM

I said the argument was idiotic.

It wasn't an argument it was a discussion. I said nothing about Stamkos or the other players you mentioned. I never said anyone was worthless. My question was about a G.M.s drafting record when people he had drafted went on to win the cup. ( which may or may not have anything to do with the G.M. ) Which was what I was trying to learn from the other posters who were I might add doing a fine job of explaining it to me without personal attacks. Spin it how you wish. Anyways,as you were.

Well, Dal Colle was finally held off of the score sheet tonight in a 6-5 loss. Plenty of chances for him from the parts of the game I saw tonight. Hes a big lanky kid. He isn't necessarily the most physical player but will battle and isnt the fastest out there but is usually in great position. I'll be interested to see how he looks at Canada's World Junior camp.

I think people get really fixated on championships, especially Buffalo fans. I can't see draftees winning cups as a sign of anything, good or bad. What if the draftee ends up getting dealt at the deadline and the difference between him winning a cup and not is an extra 3rd rounder. What if he's like Pommer and gets waived before he develops but actually gets claimed by a cup winner?

Darcy's biggest sin is he's terrible at building rosters. I've never had a problem with the way the franchise has drafted under Darcy. It's most of the other things that he sucks at.

It wasn't an argument it was a discussion. I said nothing about Stamkos or the other players you mentioned. I never said anyone was worthless. My question was about a G.M.s drafting record when people he had drafted went on to win the cup. ( which may or may not have anything to do with the G.M. ) Which was what I was trying to learn from the other posters who were I might add doing a fine job of explaining it to me without personal attacks. Spin it how you wish. Anyways,as you were.

The argument being the discussion, or side you had taken or were advocating. I deliberately was not quoting you or anyone else because I was hoping to make it clear that I thought the idea itself was foolish not an individual poster. If that was not clear or you feel that I was personally attacking you I apologize.

It takes more than some guys with rings to win the Cup it takes a obsessive personality and drive to make it. Darcy Regier I believed failed for several years at drafting players who actually are sickened and disgusted by losing. Sean Monahan struck me as one of those players which was why I advocated for him. Zadorov and Girgensons also strike me as those types of guys. We need top end talent with drive. It does not have to be Crosby level but at least has to be Drury level. Ekblad doesn't strike me as that type, Reinhart might be, and Dal Colle I am still very unsure of. It is still very early in the season and I could be wrong on any of them so as Pat LaFontaine said... patience.

The argument being the discussion, or side you had taken or were advocating. I deliberately was not quoting you or anyone else because I was hoping to make it clear that I thought the idea itself was foolish not an individual poster. If that was not clear or you feel that I was personally attacking you I apologize.

It takes more than some guys with rings to win the Cup it takes a obsessive personality and drive to make it. Darcy Regier I believed failed for several years at drafting players who actually are sickened and disgusted by losing. Sean Monahan struck me as one of those players which was why I advocated for him. Zadorov and Girgensons also strike me as those types of guys. We need top end talent with drive. It does not have to be Crosby level but at least has to be Drury level. Ekblad doesn't strike me as that type, Reinhart might be, and Dal Colle I am still very unsure of. It is still very early in the season and I could be wrong on any of them so as Pat LaFontaine said... patience.

Thanks LGR. Just read your post now. Sometimes things get heated in discussions and I understand that. No hard feelings. I mostly enjoy your contributions to the board and agree on your assessment above about the type of personalities this team needs.

Thanks LGR. Just read your post now. Sometimes things get heated in discussions and I understand that. No hard feelings. I mostly enjoy your contributions to the board and agree on your assessment above about the type of personalities this team needs.

No worries. I re read my posts and I understand exactly why it came across the way it did. Again not my attention and I apologize.

Not a comment on this list per se, more so on previous lists, watching him on TV and sitting near him during a draft: I would hate to see this man as our new GM.

Here is Craigs Mock draft from Prior to the 2013 draft Mock 2013. I openly argued against some of the picks and thought he was wrong then. His rankings were slightly different but still, he is not someone I would want as our GM. I think Devine drafts better and I think can work with LaFontaine and XXXXXX well.

That being said Dal Colle is 6months and 14days younger than Reinhart. His potential is very interesting and I want to see more of his play and read more up on him. If he can generate offense by himself that is very interesting. Also I like that he is in the OHL as I think it is a tougher league physically.

Edited by LGR4GM

ISS Top 30 - November 2013

Sam Reinhart and Aaron Ekblad maintain full control of rankings #1 and #2 in our November release of the ISS Top 30. Joshua Ho-Sang is biggest gainer, rising 12 positions to #14.

Adrian Kempe... Plays in the Swedish Hockey League on Modo with Possler. His bday is September 13 1996. This makes him very young in this draft and barely eligible. He should be available with the Islander pick. He has 4pts in 10 games with Modo this season and his work ethic and physicality are noted by reports. I like this guy.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/95013/kempe-following-in-footsteps-of-family-members-on-path-to-nhl-career/

Edited by LGR4GM

I wanted to add 1 thing. Reading up on players and seeing some tape, I don't think their really is a major drop off btw 1-5/6 ish because this draft lacks an elite talent. As such I think we should not trade up if we finish in 3-5 range as I don't think the talent is worth it. I think we need to look at moving that Islanders pick up though if they finish 11-20th or so. We really need 2 top 10 picks this season and preferably if I could do this draft I would draft Dal Colle at 3rd/4th and then say Kempe at 7-9th. I actually think that would be a real good draft for us.

Too-good-to-be-true fantasyland notion of the day:

Islanders suckitude continues and they end up deferring their pick until 2015.

Their slide rolls into next year as the Sabres start to rebound under Lafontaine.

Buffalo picks a very typical 11th.

But the Islanders finish 27th and "win" the lottery.

McDavid is a Sabre.

And by his very last move as GM, Darcy Regier saves the franchise.

Today is one of those days when anything seems possible.

I wanted to add 1 thing. Reading up on players and seeing some tape, I don't think their really is a major drop off btw 1-5/6 ish because this draft lacks an elite talent. As such I think we should not trade up if we finish in 3-5 range as I don't think the talent is worth it. I think we need to look at moving that Islanders pick up though if they finish 11-20th or so. We really need 2 top 10 picks this season and preferably if I could do this draft I would draft Dal Colle at 3rd/4th and then say Kempe at 7-9th. I actually think that would be a real good draft for us.

I think there is a pretty big drop off from the first forward (Reinhart) to the second. But then from 2-5/6 in the forward ranks you're getting the same level of talent with different styles.

I think there is a pretty big drop off from the first forward (Reinhart) to the second. But then from 2-5/6 in the forward ranks you're getting the same level of talent with different styles.

I disagree. Reinhart has not improved dramatically this season and some counts think he has hit a plateau. This could be he is not getting challenged anymore or that he is the player he is. Scouts want to see improvement and if he doesn't improve this year that is not a good sign. I think Reinhart is just ahead of some of the 2-5 guys but not enough for it to matter long term.

I disagree. Reinhart has not improved dramatically this season and some counts think he has hit a plateau. This could be he is not getting challenged anymore or that he is the player he is. Scouts want to see improvement and if he doesn't improve this year that is not a good sign. I think Reinhart is just ahead of some of the 2-5 guys but not enough for it to matter long term.

Provide a link of somebody that has said he has hit a plateau, because I'm willing to bet nobody credible has said that. There was one article that said he hasn't improved as much as expected, but definitely nothing about him plateauing. I've done the whole "talk myself out of a prospect so I can be happier when forced to settle" thing before. It doesn't end well.

There is a clear separation between Reinhart and others. If there wasn't, he wouldn't be the absolute consensus number one forward.

Edited by DStebb

Provide a link of somebody that has said he has hit a plateau, because I'm willing to bet nobody credible has said that. There was one article that said he hasn't improved as much as expected, but definitely nothing about him plateauing. I've done the whole "talk myself out of a prospect so I can be happier when forced to settle" thing before. It doesn't end well.

There is a clear separation between Reinhart and others. If there wasn't, he wouldn't be the absolute consensus number one forward.

I'm not talking myself out of anything and you need to stop trying to use that theory to descredit what I am saying. Reinhart is the #1 forward right now, but I am not convincned he will stay there or his game translates well to the NHL. He has great hockey iq and a good shot but is a average skater. Skating can be taught. That being said if we drafted 1/2 you draft Reinhart, simply put I won't be torn up if we draft fifth and don't get him. Dal colle is good. Karlsson is good. Draisaitl is good. Krempe is good. There are a few others. I think it is very telling about this draft that there isnt a huge break btw Reinhart and the forwards just behind him.

Too-good-to-be-true fantasyland notion of the day:

Islanders suckitude continues and they end up deferring their pick until 2015.

Their slide rolls into next year as the Sabres start to rebound under Lafontaine.

Buffalo picks a very typical 11th.

But the Islanders finish 27th and "win" the lottery.

McDavid is a Sabre.

And by his very last move as GM, Darcy Regier saves the franchise.

Today is one of those days when anything seems possible.

While this would be awesome, I view it slightly more pessimistically than you do. Islanders defer this year, and after losing Vanek, they continue to fall, finishing in last place next year. The sabres, while playing better, but losing Miller, struggle to win games again next year and secure 29 place. And then, in the most Buffalo thing ever, we still manage to lose the lottery, and to make it worse, the winner was the Bruins, leafs or sens, who had an off year and finished 17th, and for the next 15 years well have to watch McDavid tear out our hearts time and time again, as if it wasnt enough not to get him. :cry: ;)

While this would be awesome, I view it slightly more pessimistically than you do. Islanders defer this year, and after losing Vanek, they continue to fall, finishing in last place next year. The sabres, while playing better, but losing Miller, struggle to win games again next year and secure 29 place. And then, in the most Buffalo thing ever, we still manage to lose the lottery, and to make it worse, the winner was the Bruins, leafs or sens, who had an off year and finished 17th, and for the next 15 years well have to watch McDavid tear out our hearts time and time again, as if it wasnt enough not to get him. :cry: ;)

This sounds about right.

For sure. I don't think there is any other forward with as much potential as he does. Don't get me wrong, i do believe there is some real solid offensive forwards in this draft, and some who will rise the ranks in the coming months, but Reinhart has the offense, the passion to be great, and is a excellent leader. Fights for pucks. He is the total package.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.