Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Sorry to be a little lazy here as I have not gone through this entire thread:

The 1st round pick the Sabres got from the NY Islanders: The Islanders have the option to keep this pick and then the Sabres get their 2015 1st round pick automatically, is this accurate?

Thanks in advance

As I understand it, the Islanders have the option to use or defer the pick and have to tell the Sabres before two (three?) picks before during the draft. If the Islanders use the pick this year, the Sabres get the 2015 pick. So if the Islanders pick is #8, they have to tell the Sabres before #6 if they're deferring or not.

Sorry to be a little lazy here as I have not gone through this entire thread:

The 1st round pick the Sabres got from the NY Islanders: The Islanders have the option to keep this pick and then the Sabres get their 2015 1st round pick automatically, is this accurate?

Thanks in advance

From what I understand, the Islanders have the option to defer the pick to next year only if they end up with a top 10 pick this season. If it's beyond the 10th pick in the 2014 draft, it belongs to Buffalo no matter what.

As I understand it, the Islanders have the option to use or defer the pick and have to tell the Sabres before two (three?) picks before during the draft. If the Islanders use the pick this year, the Sabres get the 2015 pick. So if the Islanders pick is #8, they have to tell the Sabres before #6 if they're deferring or not.

There is no information out there right now about when the decision has to be made. Three picks ahead of time, 3 days, 3 weeks... no one outside of the two organizations knows what that stipulation is right now.

There is no information out there right now about when the decision has to be made. Three picks ahead of time, 3 days, 3 weeks... no one outside of the two organizations knows what that stipulation is right now.

Ah, I remember something about that but it wasn't clear...I sure hope we get to keep it for 2014!

Ah, I remember something about that but it wasn't clear...I sure hope we get to keep it for 2014!

I don't, necessarily, the Islanders might be even worse next year! :)

My bad, read it too many times here.

I've claimed it a couple times, but there is nothing definitive. Columbus had the option to defer the Kings pick in the first round and had to do so three picks before the selection. That's the only situation where a deferral has occurred, and nothing says that all deferrals have to occur in this manner.

And if Snow and DR were the 2 to work it out, we don't know for certain anyone INSIDE of those 2 teams know it either. :doh:

It'd be a darn shame if the Isles weasel out of giving the Sabres McDavid on a platter because DR's fax didn't work right and nobody in the league office can translate Snow's crayola scribblings.

And if Snow and DR were the 2 to work it out, we don't know for certain anyone INSIDE of those 2 teams know it either. :doh:

It'd be a darn shame if the Isles weasel out of giving the Sabres McDavid on a platter because DR's fax didn't work right and nobody in the league office can translate Snow's crayola scribblings.

Snow keeps all those scribblings crunched up under the shoulders of his jacket, right?

2014 NHL Draft Top 30 Prospects Ranking: December Edition

NHL Draft Top 30 Prospects Ranking – December 18th, 2013

HockeyProspect.com is pleased to release our December edition of our 2014 NHL Draft Top 30 Prospects Ranking. It’s been 69 days since we released our last edition of our rankings. Our scouts have seen a lot of hockey since that time and our list has five players making their first appearance in our top 30 prospects list.

Leading the way on our list once again this month is Sam Reinhart from the Kootenay Ice. Reinhart will be heading to Malmo, Sweden, with Team Canada over the holidays. Joining Reinhart in Sweden is Aaron Ekblad from the Barrie Colts, who just happens ranked second on our list. Coming in third on this edition of our rankings is Michael Dal Colle from the Oshawa Generals. Dal Colle moves up seven big spots in our top 10 since our last list.

Latest ISS rankings:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/101161/iss-draft-rankings-reinhart-holding-steady-as-top-prospect-in-december-rankings/

Mcann might be an interesting pick as well as Milano with the Sabres 2nd 1st round pick. Should that happen this year. Wish I had a better sense of the later 1st round picks. Just looked at the Sharks profile on Bleacher and they mentioned Milano, seems to be able to put the puck in the net, but is a bit undersized. Sabres can use all the scorers they can find.

Latest ISS rankings:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/101161/iss-draft-rankings-reinhart-holding-steady-as-top-prospect-in-december-rankings/

Mcann might be an interesting pick as well as Milano with the Sabres 2nd 1st round pick. Should that happen this year. Wish I had a better sense of the later 1st round picks. Just looked at the Sharks profile on Bleacher and they mentioned Milano, seems to be able to put the puck in the net, but is a bit undersized. Sabres can use all the scorers they can find.

Seems doubtful currently that the pick will be outside of the top five if we do get it.

Below is a very interesting article discussing the prospects of doing away with the current draft lottery system. It proposes each team drafting in a predetermined spot every year. Each team would draft in a different position every year for 30 years. It would eliminate tanking for sure and trades would be very interesting if you knew exactly what 1st round draft pick you would be trading.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-ban-draft-lottery-162726362--nhl.html

Below is a very interesting article discussing the prospects of doing away with the current draft lottery system. It proposes each team drafting in a predetermined spot every year. Each team would draft in a different position every year for 30 years. It would eliminate tanking for sure and trades would be very interesting if you knew exactly what 1st round draft pick you would be trading.

http://ca.sports.yah...26362--nhl.html

I didn't read the article yet, but I'm assuming this is inspired by the NBA proposal of each team's draft position being determined for 30 years. The way it works basically is there is a wheel of numbers (not in order from 1-30). Each year you move one spot to the right. The numbers were randomized so it was like 7-17-26-8 and so on.

THAT idea is an absolutely terrible one. Because in no world should a champion team ever end up with a first overall pick without having to trade for it.

EDIT: it is based on that terrible NBA idea.

But I like the idea of having a lottery system where it factors in your record from three years. That would end tanking for the most part because not only do you still have to go through a lottery, but you have to be terrible for three straight years. A team might see that they're by far the worst team for two straight years and tank the next season because "they might as well" but it would severely limit those situations.

I've also said that tiebreakers in draft order should work in the OPPOSITE way. Say two teams finish with 70 points and are in last place, the first tiebreaker should be head-to-head. Whoever won more in the head-to-head gets the first spot in the lottery. This would stop late-season tanking.

Edited by DStebb

I like the idea of the top team to miss the playoffs gets the first pick and so on down the line. So the worst team in the league picks about half way through the draft. That way it ensures that everyone is trying to field a competitive team while not ruining the chances of down trodden franchises of improving.

There are very few teams that can tank a season or multiple ones and not suffer financially for it. A lot of teams need the playoff revenue to stay in the black. Do teams tank? Sure some years you just suck And sometimes that is by design but I think the lottery is enough to discourage that. I do like the idea of tiebreakers going to whoever won the season series.

As for the nba idea... It sounds really terrible if you ask me and would be god awful for the NHL.

I like the idea of the top team to miss the playoffs gets the first pick and so on down the line. So the worst team in the league picks about half way through the draft. That way it ensures that everyone is trying to field a competitive team while not ruining the chances of down trodden franchises of improving.

I've seen this idea everytime the lottery system comes up, and I think it completely ignores what the draft is for. Ya know, sometimes teams are the worst team in their league without tanking.

Edited by DStebb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.