Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I'd like to see Buffalo leak out that they are leaning Ekblad.

Use it as leverage with an Edmonton deal. I'd like Yak, but they'd probably dangle Eberle. Not sure though. Wouldn't be opposed to a 2nd overall and Ehrhoff for 3rd overall and Eberle. But, like I said, I'd prefer Yakopuv.

Buffalo should say if Ekblad doesn't get picked by Florida they will take him making Edmonton all worried and consider moving up.

I think teams are a little smarter than a few people on a message board. They'll be able to work their way through reports better than just accepting everhthing they hear. They most likely already know Ekblad probably won't be there at three.

I'd never trade Myers in the division, it certainly didn't work for Ottawa when they let Chara go to Boston

They didn't let him do anything. He signed to Boston as a free agent.

Edited by Tankalicious

Aaand I'll be following that twatter account now

hands down, the best thing on twitter. ever. and there is a lot of good content there. the comedian who writes it (mike burns (he's at something like pizzanachos69 on twitter)) does not post to it as often as he used to. but just go back and read through the feed - like a book almost - because it is so worthwhile. poetry.

HockeyProspect.com Final 2014 NHL Draft Rankings (Top 30)

HockeyProspect.com is pleased to release our final rankings for the 2014 NHL Draft. Along with the top 30 rankings release, we have released our 2014 NHL Draft Black Book. Our NHL Draft Black Book features a full Top 210 prospects ranking for this years NHL Draft and much more! Our final top 30 NHL rankings we released today are our first rankings since February. We have several changes since that release. New at the top of our rankings is Kingston Frontenac, Sam Bennett. The Kingston star is making his debut at the op of our list.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I'd never trade Myers in the division, it certainly didn't work for Ottawa when they let Chara go to Boston

A better example would be the Kessel trade to Toronta. But that worked out swell for Beantown. I'd still pull the trigger on an interconference trade in todays N.H.L.

I never got an answer to my response...so I'm really confused.

What I get is...in a weak draft, with so many prospects already in the system, a bunch more draft picks to grab more prospects through the next couple years, and no real #1 goalie prospect in the system...

You would rather get the #25-#30 skater...over the #1 goaltender, and probably the best to come out in a few years?

That makes absolutely zero sense to me.

(*I'm still not wavering from Sam Reinhart, and I don't think I will.)

Edited by Bob Malooga

What I get is...in a weak draft, with so many prospects already in the system, a bunch more draft picks to grab more prospects through the next couple years, and no real #1 goalie prospect in the system...

You would rather get the #25-#30 skater...over the #1 goaltender, and probably the best to come out in a few years?

No number 1 goalie prospects in the system? As much of a proponent of goalies as I am, I see no reason for the Sabres to be worrying about goaltending right now. The Sabres have plenty of good goalie prospects coming up in Makarov, Ullmark, Lieuwen and we already have a serviceable goaltending corps in Buffalo with Enroth and Neuvirth. We're set for at least the next 5 years, plus whichever goaltending prospects we draft.

But I don't see any reason to draft goalies in the first round right now. Our number one concern has been and will continue to be top quality forwards.

We're deep in prospects. Short of someone we think is good falling. I take the goalie. I wanted Fucale last year (and I thought we traded to get him :( ). Top picked goalies have about a 50/50 chance of working out. But I think it is worth it

No number 1 goalie prospects in the system? As much of a proponent of goalies as I am, I see no reason for the Sabres to be worrying about goaltending right now. The Sabres have plenty of good goalie prospects coming up in Makarov, Ullmark, Lieuwen and we already have a serviceable goaltending corps in Buffalo with Enroth and Neuvirth. We're set for at least the next 5 years, plus whichever goaltending prospects we draft.

But I don't see any reason to draft goalies in the first round right now. Our number one concern has been and will continue to be top quality forwards.

Are there that many top-quality forwards around the 30 mark?

We're deep in prospects. Short of someone we think is good falling. I take the goalie. I wanted Fucale last year (and I thought we traded to get him :( ). Top picked goalies have about a 50/50 chance of working out. But I think it is worth it

Are there that many top-quality forwards around the 30 mark?

Absolutely. They wont be players you can just stick in the NHL right away but they are much more likely to impact a team than a goaltender.

in my eyes myers can only go for a 1st top 4 + something NHL ready. nobody will pay that price

The question should be, in 2-3 years from now, who do you think will be the Sabres top 4 D-men?

If you have 6 that you think are really, realliy good, you aren't going to be able to keep them. you are not going to be able to pay top-2 or top-4 money to the #5 and #6 guys on your roster. So I think what you need to do is identify your top-4 in 2-3 years, and then anyone who is not on that list is expendable.

You may say what about Injuries? or if the projection now doesn't turn out? You also have to consider they Sabres will still be bringing in even MORE prospects, and some will be D-men.

I do not see at all how Erhoff is in your top-4 in a couple years from now, so my view is he should be HEAVILY shopped this offseason and get what you can for him.

Yeah i don't see erhoff being in our top 4 by then, allthough with the 4 mill friendly cap hit, he can be the best #5 in the league.

That is just it, unless we get a good price, erhoff really doesn't need to go. Neither do i want to see myers leave if anything he is a legit #2

There are a lot of intriguing guys potentially in the back half of the first.

With our second pick (at 31 if a guys slides, or by trading up):

Would you rather gamble on a talent: Goldobin, Shmaltz, Fabbri, Ho-Sang, Fiala, Milano, Scherbek

Or grab grit and character: Bleackley, Kempe, Barbashev, Tuch, Larkin

I'd be happy with any of those guys, but given the number of picks we have, and what we have in the system, I think I'd rather gamble on talent.

There are a lot of intriguing guys potentially in the back half of the first.

With our second pick (at 31 if a guys slides, or by trading up):

Would you rather gamble on a talent: Goldobin, Shmaltz, Fabbri, Ho-Sang, Fiala, Milano, Scherbek

Or grab grit and character: Bleackley, Kempe, Barbashev, Tuch, Larkin

I'd be happy with any of those guys, but given the number of picks we have, and what we have in the system, I think I'd rather gamble on talent.

Person favorites are Bleakley, Kempe, and Scherbek. But I don't think Scherbek gotes to the second round.

Kinda hoping he uses one of our 2nd rounders + stewart and gets in the middle of the 1st round.

Always liked Barbashev since i watched juniors. blue jackets or coyotes pick would do nicely

Any of Moulson , callahan and Ott can replace stewart much better.

Edited by Heimdall

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.