GDT: SEASON OPENER, Buffalo Sabres at Detroit Red Wings, 10/2/2013, 8:00pm

darksabre

This is a key phrase for me. I truly believe that this is a result of so many years under Ruff. He had guys micromanaging their game so much that they couldn't complete a pass in the nuetral zone. I still have hope for Stafford.

(Eleven responds in 3...2...1...)

All I know is, the team hasn't been able to complete a 12-foot neutral zone pass for years.

I have to believe that every player on the Sabres roster has been able to manage this at *some* point in their careers, otherwise the entire scouting staff should not only be fired, but thrown in freakin' jail for stealing other peoples money.

The evidence points to the coach who ran the team for 16 years, though the GM certainbly hasn't helped.

That's all I'm gonna say, the puck drops tonight!

Sabres lines at morning skate:

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford. Ott-Ennis-Leino. Girgensons-Grigorenko-Flynn. Porter-McCormick-Kaleta.

D pairings: Ehrhoff-Pysyk. Tallinder-Myers. Weber-Ristolainen.

Goalies: Miller. Enroth.

I'd flip Flynn with Leino. That third line looks uber scary to me. They need some veteran presence there. Esp on the road and not having last change...

I can't take full credit for #drewprint, but I am going to run it into the ground.

I'm waiting for little Stafford bobbleheads to be hung in effigy around the apartment.... Little voodoo dolls found in drawers... VooDrew dolls.

Think of the Grigs line as a skilled fourth line that will get spotted in to the appropriate situations.

The Porter line is the checking line and will see time against Datsyuk and or Zetterberg?

Dammit! You're ruining my enthusiasm!

Here's the Detroit lineup: apologies if posted already- i didn't see it. Gives some who's against who perspective.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader

Franzen-Weiss-Alfie

Bertuzzi-Andersson-Cleary

Miller-Emmerton-Samuelsson

D

Kronwall-Ericsson

Quincey-Smith

DeKeyser-Kindl

Howard starting in goal

Friggen NBC game to start :(

Anyways, excited to start..I know its the fanboy in me, but i cant wait to see the youngins play in real game and develop a chemistry first 20 games or so.

I'm kinda pissed. It's an NBCSN game, so I can't see it at home. I was out Monday, out last night, and will likey be out the next two nights, so I don't know if I can justify going out every night this week. I'm not 35 any more. :)

Both of these. Dammit; I was all excited to watch tonight before I saw the game was on NBCSN. Bastards!

A house divided. It begins.

xKjTmvw.jpeg

That's awesome. Will there be a post-game shot with one of you mocking the other? ;)

I think the Pitkanen injury late last year brought this issue back to the forefront.. He's out now for this year too because of that injury.

Wouldn't hybrid icing allow that play to continue? Pitkanen and the opponent are basically tied at the dot. Even if hybrid icing is designed to stop that play, factoring in the reaction time for the linesman to toot his whistle and the players to react, wouldn't the outcome be the same?

Is Helm still injured then?

Yeah. He's on long term injury reserve. Screwed up back, groin injury, lacerated forearm... Guy has hardly been on the ice. TooToo is recovering from a shoulder injury as well. I keep forgetting he's on that team.

I still hate Ennis at center again, especially since it means no Larsson. Let me put it this way: last year's center group, as a unit, was an unmitigated disaster, so the obvious solution is to....Do the exact same thing again? Ugh.

Yep. It's going to get ugly...again. Even if Cody is 100% improved in his own zone, it still leaves 2 guys who have no business covering deep into their own zone.

^My understanding of the new rule is tie would go to the defense, causing the play to be whistled dead at the hash.

Once the Linesman determines that the puck will cross the goal line, icing is completed upon the determination as to which player (attacking or defending) would first touch the puck.

Gotta love the NHL. That's as murky as it gets. But in a tie, or a very close race, the linesman can't say who would first touch the puck. Only the obvious situations, one player far ahead, would be blown dead, and those aren't the situations that typically lead to injuries.

I can't beleive our best faceoff guy all preseason long (Larsson) is benched for any game especially to allow McCormick to center the 4th line. Grrr... Ron Rolston you better have a damn good reseason.

Not sure what to make of this... copying Chicago?

https://twitter.com/...7639936/photo/1

Given that they would have had to order these long ahead of time it seems less like copying. Michigan also handed bracelets out for it's night game against Notre Dame earlier this year. http://collegespun.com/acc/notre-dame/gif-michigan-to-give-all-fans-blue-flashing-bracelets-for-under-the-lights-ii-game#

Archived