GDT: SEASON OPENER, Buffalo Sabres at Detroit Red Wings, 10/2/2013, 8:00pm

darksabre

Bill Hoppe@BillHoppeNHL 54s

Johan Larsson moves in to play center, Tyler Ennis to wing. Ville Leino out indefinitely. #Sabres

I like this a lot. Larsson is a natural 2-way center and Ennis is clearly a converted winger playing out of position (he is a train-wreck on the defensive end). I really think Larsson will be a pleasant surprise this year if he stays in the lineup.

BTW - Unbelievable that Ville is hurt already. He is Glass Joe.

Ville Leino = Tim Connolly 2.0

Connolly without the talent. At least with Connolly there was that faint hope that if he ever got healthy his talent would help this team. There's no difference between a healthy Leino and an injured Leino, neither bring anything to this team.

Explains Leino being invisible last night.

Yeah, it was the injury. :doh:

Leino's acquisition is really looking like one of Regier's greatest management decisions, ay? What did Leino accomplish even when he played?

6 points in 8 games last year, on that horrible team. We certainly don't need someone that (maybe a stretch, granted) puts in 20 goals and adds 40 assists on this team.

Leino's acquisition is really looking like one of Regier's greatest management decisions, ay? What did Leino accomplish even when he played?

Well, Regier picked up another thin Finn to complement him.

On the Leino acquisition Regier was handcuffed. I'm not sure by what but I'm sure someone will have an excuse to pardon DR of that move.

I still don't hate Regier signing Leino. There's no way he could have known Leino would spend most of his career in Buffalo to this date on IR.

No but a good GM should realize that a player who had anomalous staticsl year, was really the beneficiary of having outstanding line mates.

No but a good GM should realize that a player who had anomalous staticsl year, was really the beneficiary of having outstanding line mates.

We all know Darcy has a problem with that. See: pretty much every other post I've made in the last three days.

In my mind Leino is still an unknown. He had one bad season and since then he has been injured, when he has been able to play he has looked like a decent puck possession winger. This is not a bad signing yet, just an unfortunate one. But we have like 6 million in cap space anyway, so in my mind it doesn't really matter if Leino is 1mil over paid or not.

Also i think people here gravely overestimate how many points a typical 1st, 2nd and 4th liner get and grossly underestimate how much players of similar point production earn

In my mind Leino is still an unknown. He had one bad season and since then he has been injured, when he has been able to play he has looked like a decent puck possession winger. This is not a bad signing yet, just an unfortunate one. But we have like 6 million in cap space anyway, so in my mind it doesn't really matter if Leino is 1mil over paid or not.

Also i think people here gravely overestimate how many points a typical 1st, 2nd and 4th liner get and grossly underestimate how much players of similar point production earn

I was holding out hope that Leino would be a player. I'm finally prepared to give up that hope. He is snake bit, pure and simple.

I completely agree with your second point. However, Leino is a bad signing...maybe it's bad because of unfortunate luck, but it's still bad. If he comes back and is gangbusters, fine, but otherwise I don't see any way to not use an amnesty on him after the season because right now he's not overpaid by a million, he's overpaid by 4 million.

On the Leino acquisition Regier was handcuffed. I'm not sure by what but I'm sure someone will have an excuse to pardon DR of that move.

Terry has said he wanted to sign those players in the summer of 2011 and that it was his decision. It doesn't pardon Darcy. If he had any integrity, and he disagreed with the offseason approach (which he essentially confirmed last season on the radio), he should have made a stand, and resigned if necessary.

Terry has said he wanted to sign those players in the summer of 2011 and that it was his decision. It doesn't pardon Darcy. If he had any integrity, and he disagreed with the offseason approach (which he essentially confirmed last season on the radio), he should have made a stand, and resigned if necessary.

Ah yes, the "he should've quit if he didn't agree with his boss' decision" meme.

Tell me -- have you ever quit a job because you didn't agree with your boss' decision on something? If so, was it your dream job? Would quitting have meant either it being very likely that you would never get another shot at a similar position or, if you did get another shot, uprooting your family and moving to another city and possibly another country?

It's easy to take a brave, principled stand with someone else's job.

Ah yes, the "he should've quit if he didn't agree with his boss' decision" meme.

Tell me -- have you ever quit a job because you didn't agree with your boss' decision on something? If so, was it your dream job? Would quitting have meant either it being very likely that you would never get another shot at a similar position or, if you did get another shot, uprooting your family and moving to another city and possibly another country?

I disagree with 98% of my boss's decisions, but there's no way in hell I'm telling him that and resigning.

I would submit that general manager of a professional sports team is a whole different animal of a job; these guys aren't assistant night managers at CVS.

Also, I have trouble accepting the idea of an oil and gas man/newbie owner being boss of a 14-year NHL GM.

I would submit that general manager of a professional sports team is a whole different animal of a job; these guys aren't assistant night managers at CVS.

Also, I have trouble accepting the idea of an oil and gas man/newbie owner being boss of a 14-year NHL GM.

There's 30 NHL GM jobs in the entire world. You're right, it's definitely different than your average job...you'd be much less likely to quit it.

When the signing was announced many on this board saw it for what it was, a panic move. Pegula wanted to spend some money and they were frozen out of the Richards sweepstakes. Bad timing for the Sabres, it was a fairly weak free agent class.

Archived