GDT: SEASON OPENER, Buffalo Sabres at Detroit Red Wings, 10/2/2013, 8:00pm

darksabre

you working toward an epic neck beard, brah?

Neckbeards are weak. I'd never grow a neckbeard.

Twitter content coming in as team has its morning skate.

Vogl reports the top 3 lines remain the same: Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford, Ott-Ennis-Leino, Girgensons-Grigorenko-Flynn

I hate Drew Stafford.

I think that 4th line is going to be a Porter/McCormick/Kaleta/Scott show until further notice. Both Porter and McCormick can play center with the other player going to wing (although McCormick is right-handed, like Kaleta). I think Porter plays center when he dresses, and McCormick plays center when Big John dresses.

I guess I don't see Larsson in that lineup -- Flynn being a rightie (and a player who proved himself last year) edges him out.

I think that 4th line is going to be a Porter/McCormick/Kaleta/Scott show until further notice. Both Porter and McCormick can play center with the other player going to wing (although McCormick is right-handed, like Kaleta). I think Porter plays center when he dresses, and McCormick plays center when Big John dresses.

I guess I don't see Larsson in that lineup -- Flynn being a rightie (and a player who proved himself last year) edges him out.

I'd play Larsson on the top line. Screw Stafford.

I'd play Larsson on the top line. Screw Stafford.

As far as I can tell, Larsson's not supplanting Staff Infection any more than he's supplanting Flynn. The handedness thing.

On that note, I see that there are notable exceptions to the "rule": Vanek is permitted to play on the left side even though he's a rightie, and Leino is permitted (and strongly prefers) to play the right side even though he's a leftie.

As far as I can tell, Larsson's not supplanting Staff Infection any more than he's supplanting Flynn. The handedness thing.

On that note, I see that there are notable exceptions to the "rule": Vanek is permitted to play on the left side even though he's a rightie, and Leino is permitted (and strongly prefers) to play the right side even though he's a leftie.

I just...I want Drew Stafford to stop being a thing. Like...three years ago.

Just to continue on my Drew Stafford hate bonanza, watch him tonight. Closely. Watch as he brings NOTHING to that top line. You'll get to see Cody and Thomas passing to each other as Stafford just kinda floats around and tries not to mess anything up. What a waste.

Just to continue on my Drew Stafford hate bonanza, watch him tonight. Closely. Watch as he brings NOTHING to that top line. You'll get to see Cody and Thomas passing to each other as Stafford just kinda floats around and tries not to mess anything up. What a waste.

Hey if drew manages to get open in the slot he could fire a nice shot...

...into the chest of Howard. Vanek and Hodgson may be able to grab a rebound... or something... anything... Stafford better not suck <_<

and the sabres feed all but confirms that scott and larsson will sit by calling out as a 4th line: Porter-McCormick-Kaleta.

(and it looks like i was wrong - mccormick is at center with porter on the wing.)

It's just an all around facial hair explosion. It's only in phase one for winter at the moment.

good luck with that.

I still hate Ennis at center again, especially since it means no Larsson. Let me put it this way: last year's center group, as a unit, was an unmitigated disaster, so the obvious solution is to....Do the exact same thing again? Ugh.

a thought (that i am prolly late in having): the fact that grigorenko's not ready to play top-6 center minutes is what's keeping larsson out of the lineup. once grigorenko moves up, larsson slots into that 3rd line.

and, i infer, ennis then moves to the wing. or off the roster entirely, depending on how he does this year.

a thought (that i am prolly late in having): the fact that grigorenko's not ready to play top-6 center minutes is what's keeping larsson out of the lineup. once grigorenko moves up, larsson slots into that 3rd line.

and, i infer, ennis then moves to the wing. or off the roster entirely, depending on how he does this year.

I think this is correct.

Also, it has not been discussed yet but do you guys worry about a rookie D playing top pairing minutes?? Pysyk did look good in the few games we saw of him last year but I'd expect that top pair to log at least 25 minutes a game. That's asking alot out of a rookie IMO.

I can't beleive our best faceoff guy all preseason long (Larsson) is benched for any game especially to allow McCormick to center the 4th line. Grrr... Ron Rolston you better have a damn good reseason.

Not sure what to make of this... copying Chicago?

https://twitter.com/kevsylvester/status/385433469737639936/photo/1

Does it come with a ball gag?

I think this is correct.

Also, it has not been discussed yet but do you guys worry about a rookie D playing top pairing minutes?? Pysyk did look good in the few games we saw of him last year but I'd expect that top pair to log at least 25 minutes a game. That's asking alot out of a rookie IMO.

I'd guess that the defense gets pretty evenly split minutes and Tallinder and Myers are your top pair. I think we see Pysyk for 21minutes or less.

Does it come with a ball gag?

Yes?

I can't look for it now but all I can think of is that scene from Forgetting Sarah Marshall where the girl goes "Do you want to gag me?" and Peter says "You brought a gag? Well yea, kinda now."

This is a key phrase for me. I truly believe that this is a result of so many years under Ruff. He had guys micromanaging their game so much that they couldn't complete a pass in the nuetral zone. I still have hope for Stafford.

(Eleven responds in 3...2...1...)

Twitter content coming in as team has its morning skate.

Vogl reports the top 3 lines remain the same: Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford, Ott-Ennis-Leino, Girgensons-Grigorenko-Flynn

I agree.

Also I like the 3rd line as long as it gets somewhat sheltered minutes.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 2m

The Sabres' defense pairs also the same: Ehrhoff-Pysyk, Tallinder-Myers and Weber-Ristolainen.

So:

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford

Ott-Ennis-Leino

Girgensons-Grigorenko-Flynn

Ehrhoff-Pysyk

Tallinder-Myers

Weber-Ristolainen

Hmmm. I must admit I'm a bit disappointed in these combos. The top line has zero jam. I also liked the idea of Larsson-Ennis-Stafford as the 2nd line, with Griggy being forced to learn from the grownups on the 3rd line with Ott and Leino.

I suppose we'll have to live with it until Foligno returns and/or Stafford turns invisible again.

On D, I'm kinda concerned that pairing Myers with Tallinder means that the Myers resurgence we were all hoping for isn't real -- and that RR is putting him back with Hank in a desperate attempt to rekindle that fire. And there isn't much nasty in the top 2 D pairings.

OTOH, I am l looking forward to the FNG 3rd line.

Let's see how it goes.

This is a key phrase for me. I truly believe that this is a result of so many years under Ruff. He had guys micromanaging their game so much that they couldn't complete a pass in the nuetral zone. I still have hope for Stafford.

(Eleven responds in 3...2...1...)

#drewprint

Archived