rickshaw

Kaleta Should He stay or go?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Kaleta

• Trade him?
    • Keep him?
    • Keep him only if he cleans up his act?

Hey all, hope your summer has been great. First post in awhile, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I see that Pat Kaleta has already jumped a so-called soft player for delivering a clean check, and then turtled when asked to go with someone who can handle himself.

My question is, do we really need him on this team? He's got a terrible reputation and the refs are not shy in hitting him up for penalties at any given moment.

Personally, I think it's time for him to go. I know he's a Buffalo kid, but I believe he does more harm than good for this team. Let someone else play who has a physical edge and a more honourable game.

Thoughts?

Edited by rickshaw

I dunno. I like him quite well as a 4th-line forward and 2nd-unit PK guy. Those guys in the league tend to be somewhat interchangeable, so it's nice to fill that slot with a local guy. Plus, he's a helluva lot faster than most 4th line energy guys.

I tend to agree that he needs to answer the bell if he's going to run around like that.

I also wish he'd do less of the running around -- the guy just needs to pick his spots more.

I might be in the minority, but I'd prefer to keep Kaleta on our team. He does need to be careful and pick his spots (like Aud said) since Shanny has him under the microscope, but he's invaluable on the PK and one of the few players you can count on every night to play hard. When he's doing it right, he does a great job of drawing penalities and taking the other team off their game. I like him much better on the Sabres than I would on any opponent's team!

I might be in the minority, but I'd prefer to keep Kaleta on our team. He does need to be careful and pick his spots (like Aud said) since Shanny has him under the microscope, but he's invaluable on the PK and one of the few players you can count on every night to play hard. When he's doing it right, he does a great job of drawing penalities and taking the other team off their game. I like him much better on the Sabres than I would on any opponent's team!

I don't think you're in the minority, I think a somewhat vocal minority does want him gone. Rickshaw, how about a poll on this post? How about: Gone, Keep, or Keep only if he cleans up.

I think he's valuable enough that if he picks his spots (and he seems to have been better about that lately, last game notwithstanding), he has enough speed, hands, and D ability to be worthwhile guy on the 4th line.

Keep. He needs to produce a touch more offence than last year, but he's fast, hard to play against and can kill penalties.

I think he provides exactly what you want on the fourth line.

Saw a debate on another board about his penalty risk. Somebody pulled out a stat that showed for every penalty Kaleta takes per 60 minutes, he draws something like four from the other team. Sorry, I can't source it at the moment, but it does ring true.

Kaleta for me should be kept. Ideally I would like him to actually play on the 3rd line. Kaleta is really good at closing gaps and shutting guys down and he is deceptively fast with decent hands. Girgensons - Larsson - Kaleta could wreak havoc as a 3rd line. I am in favor of keeping him and giving him more of a role.

That being said he needs to clean up his act by say 25%

Hey all, hope your summer has been great. First post in awhile, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I see that Pat Kaleta has already jumped a so-called soft player for delivering a clean check, and then turtled when asked to go with someone who can handle himself.

His turtling days are few and far between. I'm disappointed he didn't throw with Prust but its become the exception no the rule. He'll throw with just about anyone in his weight class and even guys a class or two up.

His turtling days are few and far between. I'm disappointed he didn't throw with Prust but its become the exception no the rule. He'll throw with just about anyone in his weight class and even guys a class or two up.

I think this one is my favorite:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/117349

I think you picked the wrong guy. Why do we have John Scott on this team? I think he's way less valuable than Kaleta. Pat looks like he's really going to be more picky with his fights this year, stay relatively clean and he even said he's committed to being a top penalty killer. He brings more value than Scott.

I think you picked the wrong guy. Why do we have John Scott on this team? I think he's way less valuable than Kaleta. Pat looks like he's really going to be more picky with his fights this year, stay relatively clean and he even said he's committed to being a top penalty killer. He brings more value than Scott.

Somebody's gotta fight when Kaleta's neck flares up again. :(

All kidding aside, I mostly agree... I think Scott was really brought it mostly to address the fans' complaints about team softness (although maybe to appease Miller as well).

I could care less if he answers the bell, lots of other teams have agitators who never fight anyone out of their class.

Not particularly fond of that part of his game, but I'm quite tired of the Sabres having to be somewhat of a moral beacon in this league.

A lot of other teams have cheapshot artists too, maybe the Sabres need a few more?

Not much fun in always being on the receiving end.

I could care less if he answers the bell, lots of other teams have agitators who never fight anyone out of their class.

Not particularly fond of that part of his game, but I'm quite tired of the Sabres having to be somewhat of a moral beacon in this league.

A lot of other teams have cheapshot artists too, maybe the Sabres need a few more?

Not much fun in always being on the receiving end.

We definitely need more. Good call.

I don't think you're in the minority, I think a somewhat vocal minority does want him gone. Rickshaw, how about a poll on this post? How about: Gone, Keep, or Keep only if he cleans up.

I think he's valuable enough that if he picks his spots (and he seems to have been better about that lately, last game notwithstanding), he has enough speed, hands, and D ability to be worthwhile guy on the 4th line.

Keep. He needs to produce a touch more offence than last year, but he's fast, hard to play against and can kill penalties.

I think he provides exactly what you want on the fourth line.

Saw a debate on another board about his penalty risk. Somebody pulled out a stat that showed for every penalty Kaleta takes per 60 minutes, he draws something like four from the other team. Sorry, I can't source it at the moment, but it does ring true.

I agree with both of these 100%.

Agreed. At least he's out there doing SOMETHING against players larger than he. And when the coaches can anticipate it, they put Big John out there as well. I think a NHL team needs these types of players - for those wanting PURE hockey, ah, this IS pure hockey.

Kaleta lays it out there 100% every game, even when he's not 100%. He's fast, great on the PK, a very good defensive player, and he can finish garbage goals and short-handers when the time comes. Totally worth the money and the roster spot.

Man.

Even with all the cautionary things I think and feel about the need to better manage head trauma in pro sports, those fight clips have a way of getting the blood going.

And I should add: I didn't mean to suggest by my post above that Kaleta doesn't answer the bell (Inkie is right on his turtling days being over); I was more responding to a report that he apparently did not answer the bell in a preseason game.

He's a heart and soul guy. I very much like having him on the squad.

And if I had to guess, I'd think that active Sabre fans (not just fairly obsessive ones like those around here) favor his being on the roster by an overwhelming majority (I'll go with 85%, conservatively).

Kaleta could go, I could care less.

Yes he brings a PK quality, many teams have players like this.

Yes he draws penalties, many teams have players like this.

Yes he plays with blood and guts, some teams have a player like this.

Yes he takes penalties that are unnecessary, some teams have a player like this.

Yes he doesn't answer the bell when called upon, some teams have a player like this.

He's expendable, not disposable.

He can be replaced with a smarter player for sure, but as for now he serves a purpose, we keep him until a better option emerges.

Edited by HopefulFuture

Keep him. He gives 100% every shift. He's decent on the pk, blocks shots, plus he takes the opposition off their game. Would I like to see him fight more when the opportunity presents itself? Of course, but the fact that he doesn't gets under the oppositions skin even more. They're more focused on him than their game plan.

Edited by SneakyPete77

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.