rickshaw

Kaleta Should He stay or go?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Kaleta

• Trade him?
    • Keep him?
    • Keep him only if he cleans up his act?

Bottom line is I fully support Kaleta in his efforts here. I think the punishment needs to fit the crime regardless of past history. If someone with no history puts a guy in the hospital there should be a minimum 10 game suspension. Can anyone honestly say that it is NOT worse than leaving the bench for a fight?

Past offender status should only add games. So, let's say if Vanek is the player who did what Kaleta did. If there is no suspension then there's no suspension. If it's a 1 game then make it 1 game plus 3 for past offender or something like that.

Oh well.. we know it's not possible. Still Kaleta is forcing the issue. I wouldn't doubt that he's hoping the suspension is upheld so he can take it to an independent arbitrator. Not that it would matter much but perhaps an arbitrator comes out strongly against the NHL?

And yet the one player hit went to the hospital and the other player hit barely noticed the contact and continued to play in the game. Big difference. (not being snarky towards you bunomatic, but the process is a joke).

Oh I agree 100% that the process is a joke. There seems to be a different set of rules for each offender/incident.

If Kaleta arbitrates, it's just about lost wages at this point, right? By the time it's heard and an opinion is delivered, the ten games will have gone by, it seems.

That must be right.

I suppose it could come to something like, "the last suspension was 10 games, so the next is 15." without the arbitrator, or "well the last was reduced to 7, so the next is 10", but that would require there be more rhyme and reason coming out of the NHL offices for that to make sense. Not that I'm saying implying there's a Buffalo bias, just a star bias of which Buffalo has none.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Patrick Kaleta has decided not to appeal to independent arbitrator

Boo. He should have. That was the craziest crap suspension I've seen. And now that Dubinsky isn't even getting a whiff of a review for whacking Koivu in the head he had an even stronger case.

Oh well.. give it up, pack it in.

Boo. He should have. That was the craziest crap suspension I've seen. And now that Dubinsky isn't even getting a whiff of a review for whacking Koivu in the head he had an even stronger case.

Oh well.. give it up, pack it in.

No way you can say that the Dubinsky hit was dirty. It was a front to front collision with the head being the secondary point of contact after Koivu's body was contacted.

That hit was nearly identical to the Scott hit except koivu picked his head up in time to prepare for it.

Not even close! The Scott hit was from the side with the head contacted first. The Dubinsky hit was front to front with Koivu's body being contacted first, followed by the collateral damage of a head blow.

You just want to dwell in the house of woe is Buffalo, the NHL is picking on us mentality. No objective person would reasonably conclude that those two hits are "similar". Give it a rest!

Not even close! The Scott hit was from the side with the head contacted first. The Dubinsky hit was front to front with Koivu's body being contacted first, followed by the collateral damage of a head blow.

You just want to dwell in the house of woe is Buffalo, the NHL is picking on us mentality. No objective person would reasonably conclude that those two hits are "similar". Give it a rest!

You are crazy, Scott was not coming from the side in the least. He was nearly head on with Loui. In both hits the entire upperbodies of the hitter meet with the player taking the brunt of the hit in the chest with head contact in both. The head was not the principal point of contact in either hit. The main difference in the hits is that Loui didnt look up and realize he was about to take a hit while Koivu did at the last second. This hits are very very similar and neither is suspension worthy.

You are crazy, Scott was not coming from the side in the least. He was nearly head on with Loui. In both hits the entire upperbodies of the hitter meet with the player taking the brunt of the hit in the chest with head contact in both. The head was not the principal point of contact in either hit. The main difference in the hits is that Loui didnt look up and realize he was about to take a hit while Koivu did at the last second. This hits are very very similar and neither is suspension worthy.

Total BS! Scott skated from one wing across to the other and hit Eriksson from the side and in the head with his shoulder. You are blind!

Total BS! Scott skated from one wing across to the other and hit Eriksson from the side and in the head with his shoulder. You are blind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni0aYmQJJqg

He hit him straight down the center of his body. He was coming from in front of Loui, you sound like you want to say it is a blindside hit when it most definitely was not.

He hit him straight down the center of his body. He was coming from in front of Loui, you sound like you want to say it is a blindside hit when it most definitely was not.

Scott's route to Eriksson was from the side from wing to wing and he caught him in the head first with his shoulder With his approach route, Eriksson had no time to react and that's why Scott is effectively suspended right now. A big reason for the head contact is the height disparity, but regardless It's just a matter of how many games it'll be in the end.

Scott's route to Eriksson was from the side from wing to wing and he caught him in the head first with his shoulder With his approach route, Eriksson had no time to react and that's why Scott is effectively suspended right now. A big reason for the head contact is the height disparity, but regardless It's just a matter of how many games it'll be in the end.

That hit is no worse than the dubinsky hit. Scott and Dubinsky were both in front of their target even if scott was coming from the right he was at the redline when Loui was at the Blue line. Both hits are predatory, if you have a problem with that I can understand that but neither is wrong. When you have a player lined up and he has his head down you tee off on him, I would say that Scott held back while Dubinsky clearly puts his momentum into the guy doing that little jump or shift in weight up at the end. To me growing up playing and watching hockey is a good hit. You wanted to do that from the first practice where we were allowed to hit, I dreamed of puck carriers carrying the puck with their heads down through the neutral zone and after becoming a defensemen the same can be said about puck carriers entering my zone. For these types of hits the responsibility lies with the puck carrier. If you are going to put yourself in that position you should expect that a hit is coming.

That hit is no worse than the dubinsky hit. Scott and Dubinsky were both in front of their target even if scott was coming from the right he was at the redline when Loui was at the Blue line. Both hits are predatory, if you have a problem with that I can understand that but neither is wrong. When you have a player lined up and he has his head down you tee off on him, I would say that Scott held back while Dubinsky clearly puts his momentum into the guy doing that little jump or shift in weight up at the end. To me growing up playing and watching hockey is a good hit. You wanted to do that from the first practice where we were allowed to hit, I dreamed of puck carriers carrying the puck with their heads down through the neutral zone and after becoming a defensemen the same can be said about puck carriers entering my zone. For these types of hits the responsibility lies with the puck carrier. If you are going to put yourself in that position you should expect that a hit is coming.

Sounds like you need to have a chat with the NHL DoPS and Shanny because these days your views are outdated. They are not going to allow checks like the one Scott threw on Eriksson with the route he took and hitting the head first, while the Dubinsky hit is perfectly fine with the approach route and the body being contacted first.

Cool story though. :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.