So What Really Does Stop This Team From being Good

CallawaySabres

Yes, they are young but with Vanek and Miller now being here until at least the deadline, why can't this team have a successful season? I have not really let myself go there because I just assumed both would be gone.

Miller is going to have to be lights out if he wants a nice extension with Buffalo (or another team) and if that happens, maybe Vanek wants to stay. All I know is that I have 20 plus games this year and my attitude is taking a 180 starting today. Well, that's about all I got until October....................

You know what, I don't think you are completely crazy. Do I think they're a lock for a playoff spot? No chance, but at the same time it would not shock me. This is if and only if they keep Vanek and Miller (which I am not thrilled about). I think they will surprise some teams. We had a decent record with Rolston behind the bench and I just can't see Myers or Stafford giving us any less than they did last year. Add in Miller and Vanek in contract years and hopefully some improvements from some of the young guys including Grigs, Foligno and Pysyk and I think this adds up to a not great but decent hockey club. Although this is the end of August so maybe that's the reason I'm drinking the koolaide.

Yes, they are young but with Vanek and Miller now being here until at least the deadline, why can't this team have a successful season? I have not really let myself go there because I just assumed both would be gone.

Miller is going to have to be lights out if he wants a nice extension with Buffalo (or another team) and if that happens, maybe Vanek wants to stay. All I know is that I have 20 plus games this year and my attitude is taking a 180 starting today. Well, that's about all I got until October....................

Good man.

Miller in a contract and an Olympic year, Vanek in a contract year, Myers in a comeback year and Enroth in a breakout year. It could work (although I'm not sure how Enroth breaks out if Miller is playing well). Add in the stench of Lindy finall totally wafting away and Rolston presenting himself as the real deal and, hey, maybe we've got something here. There is a fall of 2005 feel to it.

Fair to say that the local paper's editorial board has already elicited Pegula's opinion on the matter? Or is that statment now dated?

Anyway, I'm more and more cottoning to the theorem stated here by one (some?) that excellence in the NHL is generally a function of your team's having a smallish core of elite talent (or, at least, players playing at elite levels). The Chicago model, basically. Yes there is also Boston, but I think maybe they're more of an exception than a repeatable rule. So, in a word: We lack a core of top-end talent. That's what's keeping us in the 9-12 slots, or worse.

There is a fall of 2005 feel to it.

love the idea, but that is a huge stretch.

You ever leave fish in the fridge for the weekend and forget about it when you go out of town? When you get back and open the fridge, the stench is overwhelming. Just because you identify that it was spoiled fish that hung around too long and you throw it out, that doesn't stop the stench from seeping into the vents, fans, ice, and all the other foods. Unless you throw everything out, defrost the entire thing and scrub it down, then put about 6 boxes of baking soda in it.....you are going to be gagging for months when you open that fridge. Want a nice tomato salad? A cold glass of lemonade? Scrambled eggs? Good luck.....they are all ruined just from being trapped in the same close confines for so long with the rotten fish. The Sabres not only went away for the weekend and left 5 pounds of perch in the fridge.....they went away for years. It's the same fridge, and just because some want to give kudos to the GM for throwing out the bad fish, one by one, the stench is so deeply entrenched in everything that it is almost a lost cause to cook anything at this point. The stench is so bad that you can smell it in the bedroom if you leave the door open too long.

............until there is a new fridge with entirely new inventory.....or the current fridge is scrubbed thoroughly and not just a token box of baking soda put inside....the long lingering effects of this debacle will have us gagging for years. Huge mistakes were made, and the course of trying to correct those have been too little too late.

You ever leave fish in the fridge for the weekend and forget about it when you go out of town? When you get back and open the fridge, the stench is overwhelming. Just because you identify that it was spoiled fish that hung around too long and you throw it out, that doesn't stop the stench from seeping into the vents, fans, ice, and all the other foods. Unless you throw everything out, defrost the entire thing and scrub it down, then put about 6 boxes of baking soda in it.....you are going to be gagging for months when you open that fridge. Want a nice tomato salad? A cold glass of lemonade? Scrambled eggs? Good luck.....they are all ruined just from being trapped in the same close confines for so long with the rotten fish. The Sabres not only went away for the weekend and left 5 pounds of perch in the fridge.....they went away for years. It's the same fridge, and just because some want to give kudos to the GM for throwing out the bad fish, one by one, the stench is so deeply entrenched in everything that it is almost a lost cause to cook anything at this point. The stench is so bad that you can smell it in the bedroom if you leave the door open too long.

............until there is a new fridge with entirely new inventory.....or the current fridge is scrubbed thoroughly and not just a token box of baking soda put inside....the long lingering effects of this debacle will have us gagging for years. Huge mistakes were made, and the course of trying to correct those have been too little too late.

That's being unkind to the Perch. Why do you feel like you need to single out Perch?

This is certainly where the Bills are, although it does look like they attempted some fridge-scrubbing this offseason. The Sabres may or may not be there -- and this is why many here, including me, did not want the team to bottom out last year.

You ever leave fish in the fridge for the weekend and forget about it when you go out of town? When you get back and open the fridge, the stench is overwhelming.

Eventually, the bacteria causing the fish to stink will run out of fish to eat and the stench will stop due in part to all the partial cleaning. The problem is if new fish is left in the fridge or old milk then the process repeats itself because a little bit of bacteria will always remain until a new fridge is bought, or one stays on top of it to make sure nothing gets left in the fridge for any length of time.

P.S. Sabres D should be a lot better. Also, the team has a chance with some of the young guys coming up to improve scoring, but the bad fish er Stafford remains and Miller's presence has out worn its welcome too and is about the hit critical stench imo. So, until those two are cleaned out, I am not confident of any real improvement.... Also Darcy remains.... enough said.

P.S. I worked for a commercial fisherman in high school on the Georgian Bay and the ice house smell fully loaded was special... A whole different scenario than just a bad fridge.

bacteria

Darcy remains...

That's being unkind to the Perch. Why do you feel like you need to single out Perch?

Maybe because they are small?

This is certainly where the Bills are, although it does look like they attempted some fridge-scrubbing this offseason. The Sabres may or may not be there -- and this is why many here, including me, did not want the team to bottom out last year.

The Bills turned over 95% of their coaching staff, the GM (sort of), and much of their veteran "core", along with making a move for a franchise QB in a matter of months. Since Pegula took over, 99% of the front office and executive group remains the same, and even 40% of the coaching staff and 2/3 of the captains are the same. Bacteria lingers......

The Bills turned over 95% of their coaching staff, the GM (sort of), and much of their veteran "core", along with making a move for a franchise QB in a matter of months. Since Pegula took over, 99% of the front office and executive group remains the same, and even 40% of the coaching staff and 2/3 of the captains are the same. Bacteria lingers......

So in the vein of this thread, who should replace Darcy... I found some intereting articles... see new thread.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22040-who-would-you-have-replace-darcy/

Archived