Sabres pick #16 Nikita Zadorov

spndnchz

Zadorov plays for the London Knights of the OHL. They are coached and owned by the Hunters. They are hosting the memorial cup and are extremely good.

The Buffalo Sabres flat out suck. What if Zadorov looks so good because we forgot what a competent defender looks like? What if he plays 9 games and then teams figure him out? What about his offensive potential how will that develop when in Buffalo he gets no pp time or really any time on the ice outside of his 10-12 minutes?

In London he will play in all situations for very good coaches. He will be their number 1 guy and get 25+ minutes a night. He can work on aspects of his game such as offense and even NA style which he only has seen for 1 yr.

There is no reason you can produce that would make me change my mind on this situation. We have a log jam on defense as is. Nikita Zadorov is best served by returning to London after his 9games. Playing out the year in London and trying to win the Memorial Cup and then coming into Buffalo next year as a more mature 19yr old player with a ton of extra playing time under his belt.

+1 well reasoned post here.

I think it really depends on the player myself, some guys just dont need any more time in junior hockey, some do. Who knows about Z.

Absolutely not. Give me a reason to watch the game.

Unless we are talking about a different Bobby Orr.

Games now or Stanley Cup within the next 6years?

I point to the Red Wings yet again. They stay competitive because they never rush players and they are excellent at developing talent from within no matter where they draft. 18yr olds do even think the game the same way a 24yr old does, let alone how their talent translate. Another year in juniors would do Zadorov good. I can't wait to see this kid at age 24 but I am willing to allow him to develop.

This year Juniors.

Year 2 3rd pairing, sprinkle in some pk and pp time roll him 14-15mins a night

Year 3 bump him up to your 2nd pairing and allow him to get more pk and pp time, keep him matched up against 2nd lines

Year 4 if he is ready make him your top pairing and allow him to play pk pp and against other teams first lines to shut them down, put him out in every situation as your go to guy.

Now you have a 22-23 yr old player who has learned and developed and is well equipped to be the guy. Or you can throw him to the wolves and hope he figures it out... Personally I think Zadorov could be the exception and figure it out but why chance it on a shitastic team?

Now that is a plan. Darcy and company just kinda do sh!t and spin with the toilet water like a soggy turd.

I'm all for sending Zadorov back to Junior.

The question was about Bobby Orr.

Sending a prodigy back to Junior, even from a team as bad as the Sabres, is just holding him back.

As far as I am concerned Orr was the second best player of all time.

He dominated as an 18-year-old.

Zadorov plays for the London Knights of the OHL. They are coached and owned by the Hunters. They are hosting the memorial cup and are extremely good.

The Buffalo Sabres flat out suck. What if Zadorov looks so good because we forgot what a competent defender looks like? What if he plays 9 games and then teams figure him out? What about his offensive potential how will that develop when in Buffalo he gets no pp time or really any time on the ice outside of his 10-12 minutes?

In London he will play in all situations for very good coaches. He will be their number 1 guy and get 25+ minutes a night. He can work on aspects of his game such as offense and even NA style which he only has seen for 1 yr.

There is no reason you can produce that would make me change my mind on this situation. We have a log jam on defense as is. Nikita Zadorov is best served by returning to London after his 9games. Playing out the year in London and trying to win the Memorial Cup and then coming into Buffalo next year as a more mature 19yr old player with a ton of extra playing time under his belt.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything here. It just all depends on the makeup of the individual.

Why let Zadorov play ANY of the nine remaining games then? What's the point if he's best served by going back to the OHL?

GO SABRES!!!

I don't necessarily disagree with anything here. It just all depends on the makeup of the individual.

Why let Zadorov play ANY of the nine remaining games then? What's the point if he's best served by going back to the OHL?

GO SABRES!!!

You let him play the 9 remaining games so you can see where the holes are in his current game at the NHL level. Then you can send him to Juniors with things to work on. Basically it is like a free preview/evaluation period and then you can see how his game transfers to this level and what he should work on over the next year to be a major impact player in the future.

Of course all of this would indicate Darcy has a plan. I think that is unlikely.

It's good data for upcoming drafts and trades. If he plays lights-out for 8 more games, maybe you send him back to Junior but he's pencilled in as 3/4 for next year. If he falls off, you know that you might need another D to fill-in for next year or three.

You let him play the 9 remaining games so you can see where the holes are in his current game at the NHL level. Then you can send him to Juniors with things to work on. Basically it is like a free preview/evaluation period and then you can see how his game transfers to this level and what he should work on over the next year to be a major impact player in the future.

Of course all of this would indicate Darcy has a plan. I think that is unlikely.

Like I said, I'm on the fence as I fully understand all the reasoning behind returning him to the OHL.

But what if he continues to be the best player on the ice like he was at times in his debut? What if that trajectory continues upward over the next 9? A great player is a great player, regardless.

I'd be shocked if he DID continue his great play, as previously noted. But I could fully understand the Sabres' reasoning to keep him up if he proves he belongs.

GO SABRES!!!

GO SABRES!!!

I think it's partly because it will help his confidence. I was never a great hockey player and usually was only an average player for a single A hockey team. Then one year later in my 'career' I made the final cuts in double A and felt like I could have made that team if not for the politics. But I digress, anyways, when I went back to my old single A team I played with much more confidence and ended the last two seasons as my best years.

I think it's partly because it will help his confidence. I was never a great hockey player and usually was only an average player for a single A hockey team. Then one year later in my 'career' I made the final cuts in double A and felt like I could have made that team if not for the politics. But I digress, anyways, when I went back to my old single A team I played with much more confidence and ended the last two seasons as my best years.

Interesting point about confidence. And I fully agree.

What I saw out of Zadorov in his debut, was a confidence that grew throughout the game. As if he realized he was indeed better than the man across from him. And his post game comments suggest he's unflappable. That is confidence personified. Hell, I think his is the type of confidence that's infectious. Especially for his fellow teens in the lineup.

Just a one game sample at this point. And maybe his confidence will be shattered against the Bruins. Who knows? But the early returns are encouraging.

GO SABRES!!!

If his confidence is unflappable than returning him to Juniors will have no effect. He could use the time to learn more, his ceiling is higher than what we have seen and he is a really raw talent. More refinement in juniors will just make him that much better.

Sending him back to juniors would be fine with me at this point. But I'm very excited about the next 8 games. What if d4rk is right and we become one of the first teams to start two 18 year old rookie D-men? Risto and Zad playing together all year could potentially be a blast (compared to what we've had so far).

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/zadorov-steps-up-scott-gets-rough-in-sabres-loss-20131023

One game after looking solid in his professional debut, Zadorov scored on his first NHL shot to give Buffalo its highlight. The teenager again impressed at both ends of the rink, putting into question a return to London of the Ontario Hockey League.

“I’m really happy here,” said Zadorov, selected 16th overall in this year’s draft. “I want to stay here all my life.”

I'm fighting the urge to go out and buy this kid's jersey, but I think it's a losing battle at this point.

Archived