Sabres pick #16 Nikita Zadorov

spndnchz

Maybe Zadorov is being showcased.

As politely as I can say without emoticon, F YOU! He is the only untouchable on this roster. And I dare to say the best player on the ice tonight and really exposed RR as a piece of crap coach. Nikita Zadorov made many great plays on both offense and defense. For some reason (Darcy, Lindy RR) he would take him off the ice whenever he made a good play!

I was at the game and I swear instead of waiting for a play to develop in front of Miller, Nikita Zadorov knocked his man down in front of the net. We have nobody like this.

You trade him I promise I'm done with this team!

Caught a portion of the game last night, was at family function. Can only tell you what I saw from him.

Looked very good with puck movement and positioning.

Appeared comfortable in the offensive zone as well.

Didn't see any major flaws in his game, although, it's only 1 game.

Any chance they partner him with Risto and make them a tandem?

If an ugly jersey is worn and nobody is there to see it, was it actually worn?

If an ugly jersey is designed and nobody is there to wear it, was it actually designed?

I think that's the better solution. Don't wear it. That way it won't go down in history books as one the worst jerseys to be worn on ice. Make it one of those mythical jerseys that fans can buy if they want but is never worn, like the red Buffalo head jersey that Starter made back in like '99.

If an ugly jersey is designed and nobody is there to wear it, was it actually designed?

I think that's the better solution. Don't wear it. That way it won't go down in history books as one the worst jerseys to be worn on ice. Make it one of those mythical jerseys that fans can buy if they want but is never worn, like the red Buffalo head jersey that Starter made back in like '99.

If the Sabres are looking for a rare piece of good PR, they could do this. Just announce that they're listening to the fans and not moving forward with this abomination of a 3rd jersey.

If the Sabres are looking for a rare piece of good PR, they could do this. Just announce that they're listening to the fans and not moving forward with this abomination of a 3rd jersey.

Ted said recently on GR that he regrets not having a focus group of fans and/or doing something like the Dallas Mavs did, a fan vote.

It's been a brutal year for Ted. I like the idea of dumping the third jerseys. He can redeem himself a bit. But, gosh darn it, the kids worked so hard on this skit. Terry's never lost a uniform.

He was good. The team couldn't keep up with him.

His hockey instint is so sharp and his decisions with the puck so quick, yet, he did have some of his mates last night quite unprepared for the puck.

By the way, a former captain also said something like, "What's the point of being nervous? If you're prepared, everything takes care of itself." Chris Drury.

Ted said recently on GR that he regrets not having a focus group of fans and/or doing something like the Dallas Mavs did, a fan vote.

It's been a brutal year for Ted. I like the idea of dumping the third jerseys. He can redeem himself a bit. But, gosh darn it, the kids worked so hard on this skit. Terry's never lost a uniform.

I know you're joking, but my theory for how those uniforms happened is that Pegula let one of his kids (or more than one) get involved in the design process. They look like something a young person would design and I'm at a loss for how professional designers and marketers could come up with that.

His hockey instint is so sharp and his decisions with the puck so quick, yet, he did have some of his mates last night quite unprepared for the puck.

By the way, a former captain also said something like, "What's the point of being nervous? If you're prepared, everything takes care of itself." Chris Drury.

Boom. I told you guys this kid was ready.

I know you're joking, but my theory for how those uniforms happened is that Pegula let one of his kids (or more than one) get involved in the design process. They look like something a young person would design and I'm at a loss for how professional designers and marketers could come up with that.

You do remember the slug, right?

You do remember the slug, right?

The slug uniforms were designed by Reebok back when the NHL was planning on switching to jerseys that you would tuck in (similar to football jerseys). When that fell through, they pretty much just decided to cut them to be "un-tucked" and left the design as is. So I can understand how that catastrophe could result from designing a uniform for a template that never saw the light of day.

The current disaster was designed without any change in NHL uniforms in mind.

He looked better than expected, albeit in super limited action. Even if he keeps playing well I'm in favor of sending him back. From a long term perspective, I'm really not a fan of our last five 1sts coming off their ELCs within the same calendar year.

Another reason to send him down.

Nikita Zadorov fell to 16th not because he wasn't good enough but because he has 1yr in the OHL and no one knew how good he was. He was a risky pick and was a younger player (kinda in the middle) in the draft with his late April b-day. Now you send him back to the OHL after game 8 or 9 on the Sabres and let him play under the Hunter's tutelage while logging major minutes. It pushes his contract back a year and it gives him more time to grow and learn. His potential is really high but he needs time.

Another reason to send him down.

Nikita Zadorov fell to 16th not because he wasn't good enough but because he has 1yr in the OHL and no one knew how good he was. He was a risky pick and was a younger player (kinda in the middle) in the draft with his late April b-day. Now you send him back to the OHL after game 8 or 9 on the Sabres and let him play under the Hunter's tutelage while logging major minutes. It pushes his contract back a year and it gives him more time to grow and learn. His potential is really high but he needs time.

I'm on the fence about sending him down at the moment. I'd like to see him play his entire allotment of games before he has to be sent back. The reason is, all players develop at different rates depending on where they are physically, mentally, emotionally, and athletically. I realize it was just his first game and I'm not giddy by any means, but there were times he looked like the best player on the ice the other night; like the game had already slowed down for him, and he saw it with great clarity. If he keeps this up, and it's a BIG if, then he'll keep demanding another look. And sooner or later, he'll make the decision for you.

While I understand not wanting him to be adversely effected by this pitiful and jaded veteran core, that can be balanced out by enough exuberant young players as they all go forward and claim the team as their own.

GO SABRES!!!

There's no doubt he'll get his 9 games.. well there should be no doubt. After 9 games (over 10% of the season) if he's holding his own you keep him and get rid of the other turd burgers who can't beat a rookie for the spot. I'm guessing it would be McBain honestly.

They won't get rid of Weber while Ott is still here.

Ehrhoff is staying.

Myers is at worst trade bait which isn't instantaneous (unless they have something worked out already).

Sulzer is already down.

Ristolainen is possible but they're committed to him. His only time off the ice has been to accommodate the numbers game.

Tallinder isn't going anywhere until Myers is gone and I think they'd keep him anyway.

Pysyk - no chance.

McBain is the easy choice. Sitting already.

i dont see the value in him staying beyond his tryout game limit... no point in keeping him and burning through a year of his ELC when this team is going absolutely nowhere. experience, maybe, but hell get his 8 or 9 games worth at least this year. good enough for me

But what if he's as good as he was the other night in each of his remaining nine games? Because if he is, then he will have clearly shown he is ready for the bigs and if that's the case, he is not going to be best-served by going back to an inferior league. If he's Grigs part two, then by all means, get him back to juniors. But he showed more propensity for the pro game in his one game than Grigs did in his entire 20 plus game tryout last season.

GO SABRES!!!

But what if he's as good as he was the other night in each of his remaining nine games? Because if he is, then he will have clearly shown he is ready for the bigs and if that's the case, he is not going to be best-served by going back to an inferior league. If he's Grigs part two, then by all means, get him back to juniors. But he showed more propensity for the pro game in his one game than Grigs did in his entire 20 plus game tryout last season.

GO SABRES!!!

Because it's not only about this season. This team is bad, and it's going to be bad whether Zadorov is here or not, as even if he out-plays some of the others it's not like he's the second coming of Bobby Orr. Frankly, if I were making the decisions, his level of play would be completely immaterial to whether or not he stays. I'm looking three years down the road when Risto, Zadorov, Grigs, Girgs and Armia would all be coming off their ELCs at once (or within a year, anyway)...if even only 3/5 become the players we want them to be, that would be quite the contract situation (and not in a good way).

Because it's not only about this season. This team is bad, and it's going to be bad whether Zadorov is here or not, as even if he out-plays some of the others it's not like he's the second coming of Bobby Orr. Frankly, if I were making the decisions, his level of play would be completely immaterial to whether or not he stays. I'm looking three years down the road when Risto, Zadorov, Grigs, Girgs and Armia would all be coming off their ELCs at once (or within a year, anyway)...if even only 3/5 become the players we want them to be, that would be quite the contract situation (and not in a good way).

I can understand the contractual concerns. But in my mind, that would be a good problem to have because that will have meant they panned out.

From strictly a developmental standpoint, if a player proves he has what it takes at the NHL level, is there a potential to stunt his development by returning him to a junior league? Is it possible for a regression to occur?

I think there is.

GO SABRES!!!

I can understand the contractual concerns. But in my mind, that would be a good problem to have because that will have meant they panned out.

From strictly a developmental standpoint, if a player proves he has what it takes at the NHL level, is there a potential to stunt his development by returning him to a junior league? Is it possible for a regression to occur?

I think there is.

GO SABRES!!!

I disagree with the second point. I think very little, if any, harm comes from being patient with prospects. I don't buy the argument that if they aren't embarrassing themselves in the NHL then they have nothing to learn from lower levels of hockey. IMO the risks are always greater for teenagers if you push them into the NHL based on a small sample of decent play than they are to be cautious and keep them in junior.

I disagree with the second point. I think very little, if any, harm comes from being patient with prospects. I don't buy the argument that if they aren't embarrassing themselves in the NHL then they have nothing to learn from lower levels of hockey. IMO the risks are always greater for teenagers if you push them into the NHL based on a small sample of decent play than they are to be cautious and keep them in junior.

On average, I'd agree with your assessment of teenagers. But that was my point in my original post today; it all depends on the teenager. And while I think the odds of Zadorov playing each of the next nine games as well, let alone better, than he played in his debut, are small, especially for a defenseman, what he showed the other night was truly astonishing from my point of view. On the small chance that he actually DOES maintain or improve his level of play from the other night, I don't see how it can be ignored and I don't think he COULD be better served by going back to an inferior level of play. That's why I'm on the fence here.

GO SABRES!!!

On average, I'd agree with your assessment of teenagers. But that was my point in my original post today; it all depends on the teenager. And while I think the odds of Zadorov playing each of the next nine games as well, let alone better, than he played in his debut, are small, especially for a defenseman, what he showed the other night was truly astonishing from my point of view. On the small chance that he actually DOES maintain or improve his level of play from the other night, I don't see how it can be ignored and I don't think he COULD be better served by going back to an inferior level of play. That's why I'm on the fence here.

GO SABRES!!!

Zadorov plays for the London Knights of the OHL. They are coached and owned by the Hunters. They are hosting the memorial cup and are extremely good.

The Buffalo Sabres flat out suck. What if Zadorov looks so good because we forgot what a competent defender looks like? What if he plays 9 games and then teams figure him out? What about his offensive potential how will that develop when in Buffalo he gets no pp time or really any time on the ice outside of his 10-12 minutes?

In London he will play in all situations for very good coaches. He will be their number 1 guy and get 25+ minutes a night. He can work on aspects of his game such as offense and even NA style which he only has seen for 1 yr.

There is no reason you can produce that would make me change my mind on this situation. We have a log jam on defense as is. Nikita Zadorov is best served by returning to London after his 9games. Playing out the year in London and trying to win the Memorial Cup and then coming into Buffalo next year as a more mature 19yr old player with a ton of extra playing time under his belt.

Archived