Trades of Summer 2013

spndnchz

I gave the example previously of a company selling a product at a $20 margin, which currently sells 100 units/month. Is that a good choice if dropping the price $10 (to a $10 margin) would increase sales to 300 units/month? Is the question whether $20/unit is better than $10/unit or is the question whether $2000/month is better than $3000/month?

If, hypothetically, Darcy does overvalue his players, then every trade that actually goes through will look good. Darcy was a breath away from not getting anything for Gaustad, because he wouldn't take a first. It's not too hard to imagine that he had passed on reasonable deals throughout the day on the chance that some fool would actually give him his ridiculous asking price. In this case, somebody did. Great. However, how has not making many fair deals for guys like Connolly, Roy, Stafford, etc, meaning that those players stuck around for far too long, affected the team build as a whole?

Well we don't know, but it's silly to assume that trading players for whatever you can get is always a winning move. The argument is Darcy's winning trades are overshadowed by the hypothetical trades he could have made if he didn't deal so hard? Please. The fact that Darcy has been successful numerous times suggests he has a better grasp of player values than Bucky or Sully do.

PTR

Well we don't know, but it's silly to assume that trading players for whatever you can get is always a winning move. The argument is Darcy's winning trades are overshadowed by the hypothetical trades he could have made if he didn't deal so hard? Please. The fact that Darcy has been successful numerous times suggests he has a better grasp of player values than Bucky or Sully do.

PTR

How does his track record validate your point? This isn't fantasy hockey. Results are all that matters.

Exactly. So how can anyone moan about trades that weren't made?

PTR

2011: Sabres draft 16th overall.

2012: Sabres draft 12th overall.

2013: Sabres draft 8th overall and announce that they suffering is about to begin.

Yeah, I can see why Regier's supporters are so high on him.

2013: Sabres draft 8th overall and announce that they suffering is about to begin.

With success like that how can you moan about trades Darcy didn't make?

This only means next year we're 4th!

Archived