Trades of Summer 2013

spndnchz

The two biggest moves made today were the Devils picking up Schneider and the Islanders picking up Clutterbuck. Both teams improved themselves immensely.

Immensely is overstating it a bit. Even when Brodeur retires and Schneider is the man, it's more of a treading water move than improvement, wouldn't ya say? And Clutterbuck is a 3rd line player....a 3rd line winger does not improve a team immensely basically by definition.

Immensely is overstating it a bit. Even when Brodeur retires and Schneider is the man, it's more of a treading water move than improvement, wouldn't ya say? And Clutterbuck is a 3rd line player....a 3rd line winger does not improve a team immensely basically by definition.

I think a guy like Clutterbuck will be a big deal for NYI. Immense? Semantics. But I think he has a big impact for them.

so do we think the sabres got what they needed

Trade Vanek..... 2014 1st, Young Roster Player, Elite Prospect.

Trade Miller....... Top Prospect / Young roster player high potential (ex. Couturier)

Trade Stafford.......... An electric Guitar

Trade Gerbe....... pucks

Still waiting for Darcy to acquire Tyler Seguin, Joe Pavelski, Evander Kane, Alex Edler, Keith Yandle.

trade gerbe for his rights. Why not at this point.

Because putting your C eggs in the Horton basket when he's 1 head shot away from retirement will likely work out as well as putting your C eggs all in on Timmy coming back at 100% of the player he was the 1st 1-1/2 games of the Otter series.

Another big blond Dman. Cause the other one worked out so well. Oh well maybe Connolly Stafford will lead the way.

Yesterday someone said its a good thing DR doesn't look at these posts when making decisions. Maybe he should. But I am cool with the Sekera trade. Good luck to him.

I really thought there would've been more activity today with this crop of FA and prospects. Short summer before next season.

Hedberg won 6 of his 19 starts last season. Schneider is a huge upgrade that will get a good amount of starts next season, The Devils now do not have to rely on a 41 year old goalie to carry the load for 55-60 games. If makes the Devils better and keeps Brodeur fresher.

If you don't think adding Cal Clutterbuck to that group of young forwards on the Islanders isn't going to have a big impact than I will guess you don't understand what he brings to the rink game in game out. Clutterbuck is one the leagues premier hammers. The Islanders now have Matt Martin and Cal Clutterbuck which is going to make the Islanders a nightmare to play against. I can't imagine what it would be like being a defender going back for a puck with Martin and Clutterbuck bearing down on me.

so do we think the sabres got what they needed

No. The Sabres need a franchise player and they still don't have one.

Lindholm could have been the guy, but apparently we balked at Sekera and #8 for #5. Regier choked under pressure. Again.

Lindholm could have been the guy, but apparently we balked at Sekera and #8 for #5. Regier choked under pressure. Again.

Lots of posters are repeating this sentiment but does anyone have a link?

Agreed but the short off season should apply some pressure to GMs to either get players signed or trade them. Sabres win the cup next year. Stafford as Captain.

I'm too lazy to search through twitter, but the Canes' beat reporter (who apparently is very credible) reported it, and Rutherford later confirmed it. So either you take that at face value, or you go the Shrader route and think it's a bunch of BS.

Regier himself said they were "close" to getting that pick. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said Sekera was the key part of the proposed swap of first round picks.

This trade was doable. Sabres had to settle for "almost" again.

I'm too lazy to search through twitter, but the Canes' beat reporter (who apparently is very credible) reported it, and Rutherford later confirmed it. So either you take that at face value, or you go the Shrader route and think it's a bunch of BS.

We have to hope it's BS because if it's true, there's a zero percent chance that the guys running our team will ever win the Stanley Cup.

Well we don't know, but it's silly to assume that trading players for whatever you can get is always a winning move. The argument is Darcy's winning trades are overshadowed by the hypothetical trades he could have made if he didn't deal so hard? Please. The fact that Darcy has been successful numerous times suggests he has a better grasp of player values than Bucky or Sully do.

On an individual trade basis, he has had a few recent wins (numerous is pushing it, unless you are going back before the last lockout.) However, his record is that he's assembled some pretty bad teams with players held onto longer than they should have been. Of course we don't know what deals he he didn't make, but combining ridiculous asking prices like a first for Gaustad with those players not being moved out, I'm more than willing accept that it's quite possible, if not likely that he overvalues his players.

For the record, I never said they should trade for "whatever [they] can get." I'm suggesting that, for example, there was a lot of room for fair hockey trades between what a Gaustad rental is worth and the first-round pick asking price. It makes me wonder how many similar, legitimate hockey trades were passed on for guys that needed to move on.

Regier himself said they were "close" to getting that pick. Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford said Sekera was the key part of the proposed swap of first round picks.

This trade was doable. Sabres had to settle for "almost" again.

We have to hope it's BS because if it's true, there's a zero percent chance that the guys running our team will ever win the Stanley Cup.

Dude, chill. We get it, you hate Darcy. You don't need to remind us every 10 minutes. We're all passionate about our team, but don't you think you're laying it on a little thick? You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Archived