Trades of Summer 2013

spndnchz

Someone name a trade that happened after the draft that involved player you think would have been a good fit and not required us to trade away equivalent talent aka Girgensons and stuff.

That's the opposite direction that people are talking about here.

Sorry, 29 :rolleyes: some sports have 30 teams, some have 32...........

Its 31 if you count the GMs of Team Canada and Team USA.....................

I think it was sarcasm.

That being said, I do not find fault with Darcy's methods given his current situation.

Whats his current situation? Is it the shackles he has been put under by the owners budget again?

He was supposed to have been given free reign to do what every it takes (money is no object) to get multiple cups to Buffalo (would only take 3 years)

The team has cap space and still has 2 compliance buyouts that can be used. It has prospects and picks that can be traded for other talent just like any other team in the league.

I have yet to see what "current situation" Darcy has thats different from any other team thats restricting him from improving this team so it can compete now, instead of waiting and praying the stars align and everything works out in a couple years when you hope your prospects become superstars.

Someone name a trade that happened after the draft that involved player you think would have been a good fit and not required us to trade away equivalent talent aka Girgensons and stuff.

How about you name one team that has been successful by just sitting around and waiting for their prospects to develop?

Look, I understand what you are saying but when do we stop giving him a new deadline or a pass based on market conditions. I wish I had access to all the interviews he has done over the last twenty months or so. I still don't believe they have any plan in place. They fell into this rebuilding theme because of failures on their part and now don't seem sure if they really are rebuilding.

All that being said, I still say 3 players could change the whole dynamic and allow the pro DR faction to have the last laugh

Look, I understand what you are saying but when do we stop giving him a new deadline or a pass based on market conditions. I wish I had access to all the interviews he has done over the last twenty months or so. I still don't believe they have any plan in place. They fell into this rebuilding theme because of failures on their part and now don't seem sure if they really are rebuilding.

All that being said, I still say 3 players could change the whole dynamic and allow the pro DR faction to have the last laugh

And that, right there, is why this place is becoming so miserable. That, and having Porter as the best known quantity at center in his own end. Perhaps Girgs or Larsson will show they can be the #3 C that the team is sorely lacking, but right now I'd have Porter pencilled in there.

And, as you know, I still agree with the sentiment that they only need about 3 players to be very good.

And that, right there, is why this place is becoming so miserable. That, and having Porter as the best known quantity at center in his own end. Perhaps Girgs or Larsson will show they can be the #3 C that the team is sorely lacking, but right now I'd have Porter pencilled in there.

And, as you know, I still agree with the sentiment that they only need about 3 players to be very good.

Don't discount Hodgson just because he had one rough season in his own end. He's still young.

Don't discount Hodgson just because he had one rough season in his own end. He's still young.

When I 1st read your post, I thought you were implying that Hodgson could be a #3. I realize that isn't what you were implying.

Though I expect Hodgson will be better in his own end this year (he couldn't be much worse than he was last year), it isn't a given that he'll get the hang of playing back there and even if he does that's not his primary role on this squad as currently formed and my comment was more in regards to the quality #3 C that this team completely lacks.

At this moment in time, Porter is the only natural C that has demonstrated any clue of what's going on in his own end as a Sabre at the NHL level, and I'd be a lot happier if he were outperformed by a true #3 C.

I take it you're officially off the "they're just promising less and going to deliver more" train? :P

Sidney Crosby, Shae Weber and Henrik Lundqvist? :P

I take it you're officially off the "they're just promising less and going to deliver more" train? :P

Actually no , I firmly believe that which leads me to further question if they really know.

Like with most things at my age, I've come to realize a few things;

1) I'm not always right

2 ) they are not always wrong

3) in sports, just like business, sometime you just need to get lucky

4) because of 1,2 and 3 nothing really surprises me anymore except for the times I have had to say, I thought I've seen it all......

Whats his current situation? Is it the shackles he has been put under by the owners budget again?

He was supposed to have been given free reign to do what every it takes (money is no object) to get multiple cups to Buffalo (would only take 3 years)

The team has cap space and still has 2 compliance buyouts that can be used. It has prospects and picks that can be traded for other talent just like any other team in the league.

I have yet to see what "current situation" Darcy has thats different from any other team thats restricting him from improving this team so it can compete now, instead of waiting and praying the stars align and everything works out in a couple years when you hope your prospects become superstars.

How about you name one team that has been successful by just sitting around and waiting for their prospects to develop?

Pittsburgh... Chicago... both played like garbage for several years well key members of their core developed. Once they did those teams made moves to bring those players the talent they needed to thrive. We are at the development portion of this which sucks. When we get to the make moves and go for the cup portion we can revisit this. Right now it is more important for Larsson, Girgs, Armia, Grigs, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Catenacci, Foligno, Hodgson to grow and learn than it is to trade some of those guys for Dave Bolland, Nathan Horton, Marian Gaborik, or even Tyler Seguin. Waiting sucks but at this point we must in fact wait, the question is when it is time to act (next summer perhaps) will Darcy have the ability to execute a plan to move out guys who don't fit for guys who do.

The main point, you need an identity first and we are still trying to forge ours. So we sadly have to wait. I hate it and I think it is DR fault we have been pushed to this point. But if Pegula is going with Regier it is something that we must understand even if we disagree (I don't actually, we need to see what the 10 young guys have)

O and also, You ignored my question and instead asked another question which was not relevant to what I asked. Since the draft where DR made a move, name a trade in the NHL where you would have said yes, that is what we need.

Pittsburgh... Chicago... both played like garbage for several years well key members of their core developed. Once they did those teams made moves to bring those players the talent they needed to thrive. We are at the development portion of this which sucks. When we get to the make moves and go for the cup portion we can revisit this. Right now it is more important for Larsson, Girgs, Armia, Grigs, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Catenacci, Foligno, Hodgson to grow and learn than it is to trade some of those guys for Dave Bolland, Nathan Horton, Marian Gaborik, or even Tyler Seguin. Waiting sucks but at this point we must in fact wait, the question is when it is time to act (next summer perhaps) will Darcy have the ability to execute a plan to move out guys who don't fit for guys who do.

The main point, you need an identity first and we are still trying to forge ours. So we sadly have to wait. I hate it and I think it is DR fault we have been pushed to this point. But if Pegula is going with Regier it is something that we must understand even if we disagree (I don't actually, we need to see what the 10 young guys have)

O and also, You ignored my question and instead asked another question which was not relevant to what I asked. Since the draft where DR made a move, name a trade in the NHL where you would have said yes, that is what we need.

Pitsburgh didn't have to sit around and wait for guys to develop, in a very short span they had multiple top 5 picks and happened to be "lucky" enough to be handed Crosby after they were able to get Malkin. They were bad and disassembled the team in the early 2000's due to bankruptcy and almost moving to KC, not because they were trying to rebuild a dynasty. The first year they had Crosby they still had Lemieux IIRC, and signed FAs Gnchar, LeClair & Palffy, to go with trading for Thibault until Fleury took over the starting job. By 2007 they also picked up Roberts and Laracque, hardly sitting around doing nothing waiting for prospcts to evolve.

As for Chicago, between drafting Toews and Kane they made a bunch of trades to acquire veteran talent and picked up Havlat, again, not really sitting around giving the team over to the prospects hoping they turn it all around.......

As for your question, its a loaded one, its impossible to say if the teams making the trades would have made those deals with Buffalo and who/what they would take from the Sabres. If you want to speculate theres also many trades that could happen but dont.

I thought around here we don't answer qquestions posed by others, just asked additional ones, i've been waiting awhile for others to answer questions I have asked.............

Since the draft where DR made a move, name a trade in the NHL where you would have said yes, that is what we need.

I would have traded for Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat. Ottawa gave up Silfverberg, their 2011 first-rounder (who hasn't played in the NHL yet) and their 2014 first-rounder. In Sabres currency: Ryan for Armia, Pysyk (or maybe Larsson) and next year's #1.

Yes, please.

I would have traded for Bobby Ryan in a heartbeat. Ottawa gave up Silfverberg, their 2011 first-rounder (who hasn't played in the NHL yet) and their 2014 first-rounder. In Sabres currency: Ryan for Armia, Pysyk (or maybe Larsson) and next year's #1.

Yes, please.

Tyler Seguin? 21 years old, already three years experience, good defensively. Is there a more perfect fit for a team starting over?

Tyler Seguin? 21 years old, already three years experience, good defensively. Is there a more perfect fit for a team starting over?

Yes please and for that matter I'd have taken Peverly for the Sabres too.

In fairness though the Sabres didn't have a guy like Erikson to give to Boston in trade. (Vanek doesn't count due to upcoming FA.)

EDIT: I also would've gladly signed Jagr for the Sabres.

Well, yea. There are a lot of better fits. BUT, I get your point.

Yes please and for that matter I'd have taken Peverly for the Sabres too.

In fairness though the Sabres didn't have a guy like Erikson to give to Boston in trade. (Vanek doesn't count due to upcoming FA.)

EDIT: I also would've gladly signed Jagr for the Sabres.

Well, I'd think Vanek would count. But I wouldn't send Vanek to Boston.

The current situation being that he has two stars who are of high NHL quality along with mediocre and developing NHL players plus 18 year old kids.

Given that situation, there isn't much he can do. You can't trade the developing players and kids for more NHL stars and fill out your team that way. Teams won't let go of the Malkins, Kanes, and Karlsson's of this league. So the only option is to jettison the two stars and develop from within. THAT'S the current situation he finds himself in.

To avoid this long and tedious path, he (with Pegula's encouragement) tried to sign free agents and build the team that way. In the past the Sabres were always observers to the goings on of Free Agent Frenzy. Suddenly, with Pegula's help, we were right in the thick of it, making a play for every star available. Missing out on Richards and Parise, we settled for Leino and Ehrhoff.

That was exciting and fun but when it became obvious that that wasn't going to lead us to the Promised Land, they had no choice but to go back to Square One and so we find ourselves where we are today.

As I said, given that situation, I don't blame Darcy for sitting on his hands. Mediocre talent will do nothing for this club except ruin next year's draft pick. And it is only through the draft that true NHL stars and superstars are born.

And so we sit and wait....hope and pray.

Yes, please.

I am still against Bobby Ryan in Buffalo and for Armia, Pysyk, Larsson and a #1 next year... hellllll no. That #1 should be a top 10 even if you added Ryan.

Might be the only trade this summer that Buffalo fits.

Archived