Place Your Bets! (Vanek, Miller trade edition)

IKnowPhysics

Vanek/Miller Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Will Vanek be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.
  2. 2. Will Miller be traded? When?

• He won't be traded, he will be resigned by the Sabres.
    • He'll be traded before the first round of the 2013 draft ends.
    • He'll be traded after the first round of the 2013 draft ends but before the beginning of the 2013-14 regular season.
    • He'll be traded after the beginning of the 2013-14 season but before the 2014 trade deadline.
    • His rights will be traded after the 2014 trade deadline OR he won't be traded at all before he turns UFA.

"Darcy wouldn't make that trade unless _____________________ offered the world."

Pretty good summary of the past 16 years.

It's a better summary of the commentary on this board than it is of DR's career. And I want him gone too.

That makes no sense. Vanek and Miller have trade value, Stafford has none.

If one is truly serious about building a competitive team, one does not shed the superior players of the team and leave deadwood like Stafford lingering about. Who cares what his value is? Get him out and get someone that can do better than -16 on a short 48 game season!!!! That shouldn't be hard to accomplish for Regier, the so-called "Hockey Genius" - 3/4th of the league's offensive players had better stats than Stafford. I could throw a dart at a board with player names pinned to it and find a better player that way.

I think people are saying they are unsure if he is ready. That has to do with this number 53. We don't know what happens when he plays more than that in 1 season. Enroth plays more = more tape on him + from more situations = more opportunities for shooters to figure him out. Not saying they will but it is a concern. If Miller is not resigning then move him and go with Enroth, I personally think he has a shot of making it long term.

Hello Sabres... YES!!!!!

So what is the appropriate amount of games he has to play in your eyes? There is no set amount and no answer. The only way to ever know if a goalie can handle it is to let them do it. No one will ever know about Enroth until he is allowed to do that. I personally think his time is now. At the same age Miller had only played 18 games with less than stellar results, yet he was given a chance to win a goalie competition. He won the competition but that didn't mean he could handle the position or workload, and again he was given a chance to prove himself and he succeeded.

If one is truly serious about building a competitive team, one does not shed the superior players of the team and leave deadwood like Stafford lingering about. Who cares what his value is? Get him out and get someone that can do better than -16 on a short 48 game season!!!! That shouldn't be hard to accomplish for Regier, the so-called "Hockey Genius".

What if he has no value at all?

With Stafford, DR is like the guy with the albatross of boat payments sucking him dry. He sniffs around begging anyone who will listen to just take over the payments. It's not an easy sale.

If one is truly serious about building a competitive team, one does not shed the superior players of the team and leave deadwood like Stafford lingering about. Who cares what his value is? Get him out and get someone that can do better than -16 on a short 48 game season!!!! That shouldn't be hard to accomplish for Regier, the so-called "Hockey Genius" - 3/4th of the league's offensive players had better stats than Stafford. I could throw a dart at a board with player names pinned to it and find a better player that way.

Who cares what the trade value is? How about the other team? You can trash Darcy all you want if he unloads Vanek and Miller but not Stafford, but if no other team wants nothing to do with Stafford, it's pretty damn tough to make a deal. In fact, you proved my point, you pointed out how poor Stafford's stats were, now why would another GM trade for that?

I now see that Claude had this covered. ;)

So what is the appropriate amount of games he has to play in your eyes? There is no set amount and no answer. The only way to ever know if a goalie can handle it is to let them do it. No one will ever know about Enroth until he is allowed to do that. I personally think his time is now. At the same age Miller had only played 18 games with less than stellar results, yet he was given a chance to win a goalie competition. He won the competition but that didn't mean he could handle the position or workload, and again he was given a chance to prove himself and he succeeded.

I'd like to see him play 30games this season but again if Miller is not signing than trade him and let Enroth play 65games. Not like we can do much worse than sucking. This season was unbearible anyways.

I'd like to see him play 30games this season but again if Miller is not signing than trade him and let Enroth play 65games. Not like we can do much worse than sucking. This season was unbearible anyways.

Right. Every starting goaltender had to have been given the opportunity at one point. What better time for Enroth to get his than this season.

Oh, I dig, but he didn't overcharge the Flyers on that deal and I don't think he would now.

I think he would based on what Miller brings to the Flyers. Miller makes them significantly better. You definitely charge more for a team that you're making more competitive than you within conference. Consider it a competitive advantage tax.

I think he would based on what Miller brings to the Flyers. Miller makes them significantly better. You definitely charge more for a team that you're making more competitive than you within conference. Consider it a competitive advantage tax.

Are they still in the conference though? Aren't there just the 4 divisions now?

Guest Sloth

I will not be surprised if Miller is not traded before the draft. Actually, I'll be surprised if he is traded before the draft. That's Darcy for ya.

And I'm sure Philly is wishing they let Bobrovsky do it!

Vanek has indicated he would not want to stay around if the Sabres were doing a frame-off restoration (which they appear to be). If that is what he is saying publicly, I'm guessing he already has his furniture and housewares packed up and ready for the movers. I honestly think Vanek is more "trade-able" and could bring a good value. Miller is iffy about leaving; the goalie situation around the league is becoming more dramatic, but I don't see Miller having the same trade value as Vanek, just because there are only two goalies per team. The openings are either already filled (LA/TO) or GMs are looking for a less expensive, younger alternative. Miller does not fit that bill.

In reality, a trade involving either one before/during the draft is unlikely. Not only is Darcy not dealing from a position of power, but I truly think that other GMs in the league have crossed this guy off their "willing to deal with" list. If I were Ken Holland or Peter Chiarelli, I wouldn't touch a deal with Regier with a ten-foot battle lance....

And I'm sure Philly is wishing they let Bobrovsky do it!

Bob had his shot here and somewhat blew it. He was good until after a bad (playoff?) loss, he said something to the effect of, "I can't handle this", after which the Flyers went with Leighton/Boucher.

If I were a betting man my money would be on the Devils for a Vanek deal. They have plenty of cap space and prospects the Sabres should be interested in. They need a LW to replace Elias and may be facing Martin Brodeur's swan song. The Devils would have made the playoffs if Kovalchuk didn't get injured. This is a team that can see Vanek as that final piece.

Just going to continue this conversation here, unless somebody has a more appropriate thread. I think NJ is an interesting destination. Wonder if we could pry Larsson out of there? Former #3 overall pick, but never seemed to get into DeBoer's good graces...he actually had less ice time last year than in his rookie season when he was 18. It's probably a long shot, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Bob had his shot here and somewhat blew it. He was good until after a bad (playoff?) loss, he said something to the effect of, "I can't handle this", after which the Flyers went with Leighton/Boucher.

"This" being zero confidence from your coach most likely.

Just going to continue this conversation here, unless somebody has a more appropriate thread. I think NJ is an interesting destination. Wonder if we could pry Larsson out of there? Former #3 overall pick, but never seemed to get into DeBoer's good graces...he actually had less ice time last year than in his rookie season when he was 18. It's probably a long shot, but thought I'd throw it out there.

There was some Vanek talk in another thread but it should be here. As for your idea, if you can convince them to give us Larsson and their 1st for Vanek (other details may apply) I would be very interested to see that

This could be news:

@JoshRimerHockey

Hearing Flyers have had discussions with the Buffalo Sabres regarding Ryan Miller. Flyers are def. up to something with Buyout of Bryz.

This guy broke some big news last offseason. Can't remember what it was. I know he was adamant that Shane Doan was considering the Sabres which Doan's agent supported.

But I don't remember what the actual news he broke was.

If Lou Lamoriello believes this is Marty's last season than all possibilities are on the table. Larsson would be a great addition to this young roster.

Miller to the Flyers is a pipe dream. Darcy wouldn't make that trade unless Philly offered the world.

I guess we can stop dreaming about getting Couturier for Miller.

Holmgren says he still sees Couturier and B. Schenn as untouchable. #FlyersTalk

https://twitter.com/sbaickerCSN/status/349941478673489921

This could be news:

@JoshRimerHockey

Hearing Flyers have had discussions with the Buffalo Sabres regarding Ryan Miller. Flyers are def. up to something with Buyout of Bryz.

This guy broke some big news last offseason. Can't remember what it was. I know he was adamant that Shane Doan was considering the Sabres which Doan's agent supported.

But I don't remember what the actual news he broke was.

Couturier and Laughton are the names I would like to see attached to this rumor.

I guess we can stop dreaming about getting Couturier for Miller.

Holmgren says he still sees Couturier and B. Schenn as untouchable. #FlyersTalk

https://twitter.com/...941478673489921

So, this pretty much guarantees they both get traded.

Archived