Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

@NicholsOnHockey

Toronto Star article suggests Toews, Kane "are expected to sign for $12 million a season." #Blackhawks http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/6/20/nichols-notes …

I'd be surprised if it ended up that high, but in a world where Phaneuf and Callahan (maybe) command $7x7 contracts, it's not completely insane. Malkin is making nearly $10MM, so I'd imagine the next round of franchise player contracts is in the $10-11 million range.

I'd be surprised if it ended up that high, but in a world where Phaneuf and Callahan (maybe) command $7x7 contracts, it's not completely insane. Malkin is making nearly $10MM, so I'd imagine the next round of franchise player contracts is in the $10-11 million range.

I wonder if teams just aren't structured to handle two big contracts like this, and if the blackhawks (and Pens at the time) would have been better choosing one and trading the other for a gigantic haul. If this is true, this would be about 1/3 of their entire cap devoted to two players.

I wonder if teams just aren't structured to handle two big contracts like this, and if the blackhawks (and Pens at the time) would have been better choosing one and trading the other for a gigantic haul. If this is true, this would be about 1/3 of their entire cap devoted to two players.

I think they are structured properly (or at least acceptably), they've just made very poor choices with the rest of their cap space. Orpik/Scuderi/Fleury are all overpaid at this point in their careers. They could also have use their two 2ndd to acquire somebody much better than Douglas Murray a year ago, and so on.

For gamers who might not want either a Bruin or Subban on their cover, I made this today (I will have to send you the actual sized photo if you want to use it for your game):

23hp27p.png

Edited by Tankalicious

I think they are structured properly (or at least acceptably), they've just made very poor choices with the rest of their cap space. Orpik/Scuderi/Fleury are all overpaid at this point in their careers. They could also have use their two 2ndd to acquire somebody much better than Douglas Murray a year ago, and so on.

Maybe that's a better way to frame it. If you have two contracts that eat up that much space, your margin for error greatly decreases in my opinion. This has relevance to where the Sabres will be in the next few years. If we hit big on this draft and next years, we should have two top line players who will grow to UFA together. When they hit that point, are we better off trading one and restocking with younger talent?

If Chicago traded either of Kane or Toews, what would the haul coming back look like?

Maybe that's a better way to frame it. If you have two contracts that eat up that much space, your margin for error greatly decreases in my opinion. This has relevance to where the Sabres will be in the next few years. If we hit big on this draft and next years, we should have two top line players who will grow to UFA together. When they hit that point, are we better off trading one and restocking with younger talent?

If Chicago traded either of Kane or Toews, what would the haul coming back look like?

I think it cuts both ways. On the one hand, you do have to be smarter about how you spend your remaining cap money when two players are eating so much of it if you hope to make repeated deep runs in the playoffs. On the other hand, if those two players are good enough, you basically guarantee making the playoffs and getting to the second round on a yearly basis.

At the end of the day Kane, Toews, Malkin, Crosby, etc. are all significantly harder players to acquire than quality 2nd and 3rd line options, so I think it's a mistake to go for quantity over quality. Sure going for quantity can work, but if it doesn't, you're in a position of needing to acquire a much more difficult to acquire piece.

I could see that being a good fit for Scotty. Canucks' powerplay was 4th in the NHL in 2011-12, but dropped to 26th this past season. Arniel's a powerplay wizard. Should probably bring in some defensive coaching assistants and players to help him out though.

Arniel is a coach I'd take in Buffalo in a heartbeat.

Very nice.

For those about to rock, I salute you:

xp8rc7.jpg

I'm going to go breakup with my girlfriend, tell my family I hate them, take my dogs to the shelter and then move to a forest somewhere because I've failed and will never live up to what I have witnessed in this post.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.