Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

The Rangers added Scott a couple years back when they finished first in the East.

Don't go and confuse things with facts.

How many games did Scott play for the Rangers? His Ranger career amounted little more than 32 minutes of ice time. Not to let "facts" get in the way.

David Booth placed on waivers in order to get bought out. He was a damn good player, but never recovered from that Richards hit four years ago.

For the right price I'd take a chance on Booth. At 29 I think he might have some good hockey left in him.

David Booth is the closest thing in the NHL to Ville Leino.

They both used to be decent players, but just vanished,

It's not surprising they join each other on waivers.

And David Booth had 4 legitimate goal scoring seasons compared to one playoff year of Leino's.

How many games did Scott play for the Rangers? His Ranger career amounted little more than 32 minutes of ice time. Not to let "facts" get in the way.

For the right price I'd take a chance on Booth. At 29 I think he might have some good hockey left in him.

I think he's lost his bite, myself.

The thing I don't like about Booth (and granted I haven't seen him much since the concussions, is how often the guy misses the net). He's fine in close if he battles in, but take him outside and he just doesn't hit the net. He's just been so inconsistent that I don't think he's the vet you sign with kids around.

@JSportsnet

Canucks have asked permission to talk to another Ranger assistant as well... former Canuck farm team coach...Scott Arniel.

I could see that being a good fit for Scotty. Canucks' powerplay was 4th in the NHL in 2011-12, but dropped to 26th this past season. Arniel's a powerplay wizard. Should probably bring in some defensive coaching assistants and players to help him out though.

I'm sorry, if you think Scott and Thornton are similar players you're not paying attention. A contending team (or a team that believes they can contend) looking to add a little grit to their fourth line will pick Thornton up.

I think a contending team is more likely to follow the model the Kings set and have four lines that they can actually play, not giving time to a liability. Scott and Thornton are both liabilities. Scott is a better fighter.

If the young group next year needs protection, I'd much rather have #32 than #22 doing the protecting. Scott is not half the player Thornton is, but both of them don't belong in the league.

I'd rather sign someone to a one year deal, promise 1st or 2nd line minutes and try to trade them at the deadline to a contender. The Isles years ago had Doug Weight in this role. I don't know who is out there right now in that type of situation, but think Murray should be looking at getting real 2 way players to set an example instead of refuse.

Throw out Lieno and he blows away the other 3 the past 3 years.....

He's not a goon. He's a guy who played more playoff games the past 4 years THAN THE ENTIRE SABRES ROSTER!!!!!

Wait, are you telling me the Sabres haven't been in the playoffs, and that Boston has? What a shocker! :doh:

We have fourth liners in spades, not sure why you think another is necessary.

We'll just let guys like Girgensons and Zadorov keep learning from Stafford and Myers.....

Get enough guys like Z&Z and it might be the other way around. There are plenty of examples of guys who had motivational issues that resolved themselves when added to a strong team. I'm not necessarily advocating keeping Staff and Myers around, but I'd be willing to bet that either would look more motivated on the Kings or Blackhawks.

@andystrickland

Brian Campbell apparently wants out of Florida...still has two years left on contract paying north of $7 million #Panthers

I'd rather overpay Campbell for two years than Callahan for 6-7.

I predict Derek Roy ends up in Nashville. ;)

Maybe your adopted team will add Vanek too. Can never have enough of your least favorite former Sabres :P

Get enough guys like Z&Z and it might be the other way around. There are plenty of examples of guys who had motivational issues that resolved themselves when added to a strong team. I'm not necessarily advocating keeping Staff and Myers around, but I'd be willing to bet that either would look more motivated on the Kings or Blackhawks.

It's not about Stafford and Myers....this team blows, has zero playoff experience, and a guy like Thornton who was able to take a regular shift on a team that won a Cup and went to 2 in 3 years, can be had for cheap and provide some winning advice.

Gaustad was supposed to be Girgensons and Roy/Connolly/Vanek/Pominville were ready to take the next step and leadership roles. How did that turn out?

In all honesty, if he has options from others which he should, he'd probably laugh at Buffalo unless they ponied up an extra 500K a year.

So you guys would be willing to trade for Soupy with a contract that's almost twice the cap hit of Ehrhoff, but many have no problem letting Ehrhoff go. Interesting. Trust me, Soupy isn't what he once was, and he certainly isn't as good as Ehrhoff.

So you guys would be willing to trade for Soupy with a contract that's almost twice the cap hit of Ehrhoff, but many have no problem letting Ehrhoff go. Interesting. Trust me, Soupy isn't what he once was, and he certainly isn't as good as Ehrhoff.

Twice the cap hit, but 5 years shorter. That's a big deal. If we can avoid getting saddled with any kind of cap recapture penalties in the future then we should do it. Plus you can move Soupy as a playoff rental at the end of his contract with minimal harm.

Perfect stop-gap contract.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.